Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Lighting, Filtration & Other Equipment
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 04/06/2011, 07:19 PM   #1
NyReefNoob
skimmer freak

Skimz skimmer club

ok i had a review going on the skimz skimmer i got the sm202 recirc.

OK, first off let me Thank Michael Hall of

www.aqua-digital.com

he stayed in contact with me whole time and answered my emails right away.

I was able to do the review of the new Skimz SM202,
I just received it today, waiting around all day for it to come. Box came very well packaged inside and out, outside was bubble wrap protected also. Sorry I do not initially have photo's as I am RC photo challenged

As I started to open and seeing everything wrapped inside as well, after peeling layers of bubble wrap and cerain wrap off all the piece's and laying them out, I truly was excited.
A little background on me, I use the same screen name on a couple forum's mainly my local one in NY. I have owned a few skimmer's over the last 6 year's, always looking for that skimmer that was just rock solid, I have had 20 something skimmer's. From several models of some companies. ER, ASM, Bermuda, Vertex, E.t.s.s, BK, Das, and several others. I do keep heavy stocked system's, usually SPS Dominated, and I like fish .
My previous and best skimmer I have used personally on my system was a Vertex IN100 gen 3 powered by an atb mini airstar. And this was a beast on my 80g system. This is a very solid built skimmer, so this will be its judgmental comparison. FYI I did pay for this skimmer, this was not given to me by any means. I wish.
Well the initial build of this is very solid, I like to squeeze the body to see how solid it is. Honestly this is a huge bonus for me. I couldn't concave the body. So after putting it all together and looking at it {Man this thing is sexy} if it performs half as well as it look's I might have a winner. After wiggling it into my sump, {I will be getting a new sump built so I have more room} I am feeding it directly from my bio-pellets reactor. Fired it up and it is dead silent, produce's probably the smallest bubbles I’ve seen from a skimmer, nw , mesh or otherwise. I can't truly tell the performance of it as it has only been running a few hour's, but it definitely looks promising and don’t think I have to worry about whether it will perform as well as my last skimmer.
Once I am able to post some pic's or if someone can help or I can send them to them to post for me I would appreciate it, I will continue to keep this updated as it progress's

well now that i am a little over a week into it and the skimmer is really starting to break in, i am very happy with my purchase so far. this skimmer really cvould be used on up to a 210g stocked tank

so who else has a skimz skimmer ?

My dad always said the only stupid questions are the ones not asked

Current Tank Info: custom 45g cube AIO
NyReefNoob is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/09/2011, 06:50 PM   #2
NyReefNoob
skimmer freak

ok, well i ended up taking the feed for this off that was coming from my bio-pellets, had a few start to get past the filter and into the skimmer, so now it is being feed directly off a manifold on my return pump and is actually running better now.

My dad always said the only stupid questions are the ones not asked

Current Tank Info: custom 45g cube AIO
NyReefNoob is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/09/2011, 08:12 PM   #3
mojo~
Skimmer Guy

I bought mine from Aquacave. Used the reefcentral %5 discount RC5. But I have the SK 201 and it does skim like a beast as well. But the 2800 pump is just a little noisey for my liking.

They have been working on this from my understanding. THe skimmer used to come with there eden 5000 pump which is different design. I will be returning my skimmer for the SM 201. THe cylinder version that has the 5000 pump.

There are only 2 downsides to the skimmer that I can see thus far on mine. Pump is bit loud to me. has a him to it. and the collection cup isnt deep enough to hold all the skimate.

Unread 04/29/2011, 11:34 PM   #4
dustinc
Registered Member

Do you think the 201 would be a good fit for about 70 gallons or would I need one of the smaller versions with the louder pump?

Current Tank Info: 120 Planet
dustinc is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/03/2011, 06:11 PM   #5
Morgn68
Registered Member

I've had my SKIMZ SM 161 for about a month now it's been great until a couple days ago... It is making a really loud noise and it's driving me crazy! Any ideas?

Thanks

Morgan

Morgn68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/03/2011, 06:52 PM   #6
dustinc
Registered Member

Well, I just ordered a Skimz SK 181 cone for my tank. It will be in on Friday. I'm stoked because I've heard good things.

Current Tank Info: 120 Planet
dustinc is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/05/2011, 11:03 AM   #7
pioassad
Registered Member

By now i have the skimz 161, its working for about 8 days, still i cant get the fine adjustment, the micro valve and air intake goes up and dawn and..., im a little desapointment about this, i never have the break in period so large in other brands ( ati, vertex ) i hope the skimer start to work in the next couple of days.

pioassad is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/06/2011, 08:49 PM   #8
jelly
Registered Member

just got my SM201 today and set it all up and i love it. looks sexy and makes the water look like milk and is already pulling gunt.

jelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/11/2011, 01:16 PM   #9
flipsideleo
Registered Member

bumping

Anyone new out there?

I have a SK201 w/the 5000 pump, and haven't had any issues with it. It's very quiet and skims better than I expected it would. I am running mine in 4" of water, but I think 5-6" would be better.

I can easily fill the cup in 3 days, though after readjusting the water level to it's current 4" (was at 9"), it took a week to fill. I will definitely be cleaning it more frequently going forward, as my wife didn't appreciate her office smelling that way.

My last skimmer was an IN-240 with a Laguna pump on it (modded it). It doesn't skim "that good," but this skimmer is more suitable for my 150g tank, and it is much quieter than a Laguna 1500.

Any way... 2 thumbs!

Current Tank Info: 120g Grow Out / 60g Grow Out
flipsideleo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/11/2011, 03:43 PM   #10
fishguy597
Registered Member

i just ordered my sm201 yesterday cant wait for it to clear customes! I'm pretty pumped about it.

fishguy597 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/11/2011, 05:43 PM   #11
flipsideleo
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishguy597 View Post
i just ordered my sm201 yesterday cant wait for it to clear customes! I'm pretty pumped about it.
Whatcha' puttin' it in? The SM201 comes with the good pump. It took mine a day to break in. After a week, it was even more consistent.

Unread 08/11/2011, 07:04 PM   #12
levischilz
Registered Member

Fish guy where did u order from?

levischilz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/12/2011, 06:19 PM   #13
fishguy597
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by levischilz View Post
Fish guy where did u order from?
Im getting it from liverockn.reef . it was $50 cheaper then anyone else.

Unread 08/12/2011, 08:17 PM   #14
moonpod
Premium Member

I bought NYreefnoob's SM202 off of him. I will say on the plus side: quiet. Easy to tune. Seems well built. Pulls all kinds of junk out.

Minus side: the "Monzter" recirc skimmers I think waste a lot of potential contact time by having the pump output too high. If you look at for instance the "Kone" recircs, the pump outputs through the bottom. Very little wasted skimmer volume. The Monzter injects about half way up and the bottom half of my skimmer anyway is empty. I am waiting for either the Omega (vertex recirc alpha) or the new skimz double cone thingys....this thing works, but could be better.

Current Tank Info: 32" Leemar starfire cube now empty and not quite so stinky
moonpod is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/13/2011, 10:01 AM   #15
levischilz
Registered Member

i ordered mine from the same place but am wondering when there going to get them in, the guy has pushed the date back 3 times on me.

levischilz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/13/2011, 10:30 AM   #16
fishguy597
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by levischilz View Post
i ordered mine from the same place but am wondering when there going to get them in, the guy has pushed the date back 3 times on me.
Have you spoke to.them.in the last few days? I was waiting to call on Monday to find out what the.deal is. the line I got was customs is the hold up. supposedly aqua cave said they would have them.in early next week. but they all come from the same distributer from what I'm seeing so who knows.hurry up and wait!

Unread 08/25/2011, 07:04 PM   #17
fishguy597
Registered Member

just got my skimmer today. so far i like it its just braking in so not relly doing much yet. it is very nicely constructed. the only beef i have with it is the volute is a thin cheap plastic like a jebo skimmer is made of. that peice is so cheap and the rest of it is so nice it kinda ruins it a little for me. Im kinda concerned about the waythe motor mounts in the sm 201. there is a littlwe play in the mount and seems like the body stiffins it up good thing the body has a 2 year warrenty.

the body is very nice and i dont see the line in it that most people have complained about. the motor is pretty beefy and has a pretty big impellor on it wich i like.
Im just not sure what to do with the air adjustment and why. I closed it down and it helped raise the water level. but wouldnt you want it to move as much air as possable?

Unread 08/25/2011, 07:48 PM   #18
flipsideleo
Registered Member

I believe the SM-201 won't have a seam. I think it's just the "Kone" models like I have. It doesn't effect performance though.

More air is good, but it's nice to have the option of adjustment everywhere you can. Too much air could blow the top off (imagine a Laguna on these little things). That is why a lot of newer skimmers add that feature on there. It really allows the user to fine tune the air intake.

I didn't really notice that with the volute, either. I'm sure you're right though. However, my pump is still running string so I haven't had to tear it apart yet.

Welcome to the club, btw! Good choice!

Unread 08/25/2011, 08:01 PM   #19
nemosworld
Registered Member

These things sell like hot cakes, I ordered my sm 201 last month, july 29th to be exact.
it is now on it's way to me, should be here tuesday. then i just get to steer at it; tank is not ready. ordered from aquacave and will be going on my 220g tank.

Current Tank Info: 60 Gallon Cube
nemosworld is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/25/2011, 08:14 PM   #20
fishguy597
Registered Member

looks like you have enough equipment to let the tank start cycling

Unread 08/29/2011, 05:26 PM   #21
mcurtis
Registered Member

Exclamation Question

Hi guys, i have a 90 gallon 3x2x2 with a 30 gallon sump. I am running an 2009 or so reef octopus 110 skimmer. It is doing great, but i have several fish and getting more and more lps/softies/leathers.. and a few sps. Are these Skimz that good or would you recommend i look for another brand? $350 is about max of what i want to spend on a skimmer for this tank.

Thanks, Matt

mcurtis is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/09/2011, 02:38 PM   #22
fishguy597
Registered Member

Has anyone had any problems with there skimmer? I had mine running for 6 days and the micro valve bound up on me. Turns out the white ring on the bottom rod , one of the threads cracked off. So after a week and two days i finally got a replacement valve. this was after a solid week of calling them and never getting a call back. Anyway after all this they sent me the wrong one. I sent them a picture of it plus they know the modle of it . Just curious on anyone elses experances.

Unread 09/09/2011, 02:54 PM   #23
fishguy597
Registered Member

Well turns out they sent me the one for the cone skimmer. I guess everyone make s mistakes. They told me they'd have it shipped today so we'll see. Its just so disapointing spend all this money, wait all this time , and I have had it out of the tank longer then it's been in it.

Unread 11/02/2011, 09:41 PM   #24
jucario
Registered Member

I was almost to pull the trigger for a SRO 2000 but the Skimz has caught my attention mainly for the low wattage and good pricce. Do you think the SM161 will be good for a 170 gallon total water? If I need to go for the SM201 it does not seem so attractive anymore and I may just go for the SRO 2000. What do you think?

jucario is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/02/2011, 10:39 PM   #25
flipsideleo
Registered Member

I wouldn't do anything less than a SM-201 for that size of a tank. SRO2000 are nice, but a the pump is noisier than the SKIMZ. It really is preference other than that, IMO.