Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Tank Journals & Builds
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 08/09/2017, 04:42 PM   #1
Sirhc
Registered Member

My "final" upgrade

I currently have a 75g sps tank with sps and a second 25g for zoas/softies. I'm getting to the point where my tanks are starting to get overgrown and decided it was time to start looking for a new tank.

After a few months of shopping around I finally found a used setup with my dream dimensions (60x30x24). It came with tank, stand, pump, skimmer, sump and a few reactors and dosing pumps. I'm going to change a few things with the setup like switching from an external pump to an internal and possibly switch from the recirculating skimmer.

To bring the tank home I rented a utility trailer from uhaul and drove an hour south. Got the tank loaded with some struggle but luckily it was on wheels. Then the time came to make the agonizing drive back home hoping the tank stayed safe. Once I got home it was a tight fit with the door on and I decided to remover the door off the hinges. Since it was on wheels I was able to slide it right into the house onto some PVC which made it much easier to roll on the floor. Now it's currently sitting in it's temporary spot while I make the small changes to the setup.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

Sirhc is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/09/2017, 07:10 PM   #2
ClownNut
Registered Member

have a pvc "tray" inside the stand? it looks like a deepsea tank, they build quality tank.

Current Tank Info: 300DD, SM200/RD3,ATI 60-8X80+4X75, 2 Sea Sweep & 4X6105 & 6208
ClownNut is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/09/2017, 07:56 PM   #3
Sirhc
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClownNut View Post
have a pvc "tray" inside the stand? it looks like a deepsea tank, they build quality tank.
Nope, it's just wood that was painted white and it's under the tank. I'm currently debating a sandbed or starboard for the bottom because I want several sand sleeping wrasses.

Unread 08/11/2017, 03:29 PM   #4
Sirhc
Registered Member

Been thinking a lot about the lighting for the new tank. I can go with a 60" t5 ATI fixture +led OR I can try something new and run 3x 250w MH with 6bulb retro fit t5 and some blue LEDs for pop. What do you guys think?

Unread 08/28/2017, 09:22 PM   #5
Sirhc
Registered Member

Ok, I finally was able to accomplish something. Ended up getting one of my spare 40b tanks and made a new sump. I kept it simple and have a skimmer/fuge/pump section.

For this new tank i wanted to go BB because it will mostly be sps and can live without most sand dwelling fish. I just hate the look of bare glass in a reef and starboard is too pricy. I wanted to have somewhat of a sand look and tried multiple ideas I had but the one I liked the most was placing 4x6 travertine tiles on the bottom. Doesn't look like grains of sand but the color is pretty close at least.

Today I was able to plumb the tank and so far I am pretty happy with it. Just a little upset I never wiped the dripping glue but what is done is done.

For lighting I was able to pick up a used MH setup from Adam at battlecorals. Going to be running 2 x 250w on lumenbright fixtures. On top of that I will be running 4 x 48" T5 and if I can squeeze them in then some LEDs for some added pop. For the MH I plan on running radium 20k, T5's will most likely be blue+.

I have been going crazy trying to decide what skimmer I wanted to run on this tank and after a lot of reading and countless YouTube videos I decided to go with lifereef. I emailed him couple of hours ago with a few questions I had and hopefully will have everything sorted out by tomorrow and I can place my order.

Lastly, I have 3 anthias in QT at the moment and seem healthy and super active. Currently doing ttm then observation for a week or 2 and hopefully by then I will be able to add them as my first fish.

Unread 09/02/2017, 10:33 AM   #6
Sirhc
Registered Member

I love/hate doing aquascape. Here is what I have so far with some donated rock. I'm pretty sure I'm going to have to buy more rock.

I'm pretty content with the left but I want to work on the right and make it taller

Unread 09/10/2017, 06:41 PM   #7
Sirhc
Registered Member

Well I made it through most of hurricane Irma and can report that the tanks seem to be doing good and have about 135g in my new tank that the lifereef is going in. Should I empty the tank if I filled it with RO, or will the life reed be able to pull out whatever nastiness may be there from standing water?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Unread 10/11/2017, 09:29 PM   #8
Sirhc
Registered Member

The tank finished cycling and was able to at my first fish (scribbled rabbit fish and lyretail anthias). They were doing good for a few weeks in the DT so I went and purchased my second batch which includes the flowing: blue eye kole tang, 2 wrasses and a yellow assessor basslet. The assessor spends most of its time upside down and I love it! I hope it doesn't stop.

I got my 2 halide fixtures hung over the tank and they look great and don't heat up the room too much, currently working on getting my t5 retro floating canopy ready. I have most of the t5 retro done but just have some small wiring things to do and I should hopefully have it done this weekend.

Unread 12/28/2017, 11:29 PM   #9
bdsage
Registered Member

looking good so far... are you going to do acros? also what part of fla do you live in?

Current Tank Info: 40b. sps, Metal Halide,big skimmer,lots of flow, barebottom, natural seawater.
bdsage is offline   Reply With Quote