Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > New to the Hobby
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 04/02/2011, 08:04 PM   #1
Tang tank
Registered Member

How fast is too fast to add new fish?

When adding fish from QT to the DT how many fish would you recommend adding at once? And how long should one wait before adding more?

Tang tank is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/02/2011, 08:38 PM   #2
Jerry W
Registered Member

Variables; tank size, species of fish, aggression level of said species.
If it's a large DT, you could likely add a few small fish at the same time; fish of the same species, pairs, etc.. Usually a good idea to add least aggressive first. I personally wait a couple weeks between additions. Make sure the new fish remain healthy, get settled in and are eating.
hth

Current Tank Info: 37 gal; pair of mocha clowns, ywg and tiger pistol shrimp
Jerry W is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/02/2011, 08:50 PM   #3
bertoni
RC Mod

I agree that there are a lot of variables. If you could give us a stocking list, and the expected size you're likely to buy, we might be able to help more.

Unread 04/03/2011, 12:30 AM   #4
playaslk
Moved On

how many fish do you have in your QT? usually you dont want too many as they get stressed out in a smaller "qt" and if one is sick, they all get sick (from something like ich)

playaslk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/03/2011, 10:10 AM   #5
Tang tank
Registered Member

So my QT is 55 gallons. I currently have a Kole Tang and a Tomini Tang in there. I don't plan on adding any new fish to my QT until they are moved into my DT (in about 4 weeks). Once they are in would it be safe to get maybe a royal gramma and a cardinal fish and start the QT process and then add them 4 weeks after I add the tangs?

Tang tank is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/03/2011, 11:12 AM   #6
duncantse
Fish Advisor

That would be good plan. Once you get your 2 tangs in the dt, buy your other fish and place it in qt. Then wait 4 weeks. Then put your new fish in the dt and repeat.

duncantse is offline   Reply With Quote