Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Lighting, Filtration & Other Equipment
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 09/23/2006, 02:33 PM   #1
rykwong
Registered Member

Euroreef CS6-1: My skimmer has never worked, why?

I thought I upgraded skimmers from an ES5-2 to a CS6-1. The ES5-2 was awesome and I thought the CS6-1 would be even better. However, the CS6-1 has skimmed very little if any. The bubbles seems as though they cannot make it up the neck. I have been messing with the riser tube for the longest time and still nothing. It has been about 5 months. I even upgraded the sedra 3500 to the 5000 and I get the same result. I have an 80gal with a blue tang, firefish, royal gramma, and a couple chromis. Maybe I don't a big enough bioload? Thanks!

rykwong is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/23/2006, 05:00 PM   #2
Maximus
Registered Member

I have the perfect solution. I had the same problem on my euro cs8-1. What I did was extend the riser tube with a piece of pvc. Simply go to Home Depot and take the riser tube with you. Look for a coupler that will fit on the tube. I believe I extended the riser tube around 3-4". You will be amazed at the difference. Before the extension, I would get dry foam as my water level in the skimmer was too low. The extension brings the water level higher, so you can wet skim better. Hth.

Current Tank Info: 36x36x16 A.G.E. tank. Lighting: ATI Straton. Circulation: 2x Vortech MP40wQd's. Skimmer: Red Sea 300. Controller: Neptune Apex. Doser: Neptune Dos.
Maximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/23/2006, 10:55 PM   #3
rykwong
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Maximus
I have the perfect solution. I had the same problem on my euro cs8-1. What I did was extend the riser tube with a piece of pvc. Simply go to Home Depot and take the riser tube with you. Look for a coupler that will fit on the tube. I believe I extended the riser tube around 3-4". You will be amazed at the difference. Before the extension, I would get dry foam as my water level in the skimmer was too low. The extension brings the water level higher, so you can wet skim better. Hth.
So you recommend getting an even longer riser tube than the one that's already on there? I have tried raising the tube as high as possible and the bubbles just begin popping at the tip of the neck. The stock riser was not long enough?

Thanks!

Unread 09/24/2006, 12:10 AM   #4
outy
Moved On

just do the gatevalve mod so you can fine tune your skimmer. the riser tube is such a pita. just think no more hands in the water for fine adjustments.

outy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/24/2006, 12:22 AM   #5
rykwong
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by outy
just do the gatevalve mod so you can fine tune your skimmer. the riser tube is such a pita. just think no more hands in the water for fine adjustments.
Is that what you did on yours? Do you have pictures of your sump/skimmer setup? Thanks!

rykwong@uci.edu

Rich

Unread 09/24/2006, 12:23 AM   #6
dots
Registered Member

I have had the same problem with my 6-1, but not to your extreme.....sometimes it has to be pulled almost out of way out.....the PVC is a good idea......

Unread 09/24/2006, 12:27 AM   #7
rykwong
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by sacramentodots
I have had the same problem with my 6-1, but not to your extreme.....sometimes it has to be pulled almost out of way out.....the PVC is a good idea......
I'm just kinda frustrated since I thought I was upgrading from my ES5-2 which was doing really well. I even a sedra 5000 since I read something about this particular model being underpowered. I will try pulling that riser tube out as much as possible. Anyone have pics of their setup? Thanks!

Rich