Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Sponsor Forums > Premium Aquatics
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 01/20/2012, 10:02 AM   #1076
Jeremy B.
Registered Member

@ccradr, The RDII pumps were actually discontinued and they're back to the RDI pump now.

@DBSAM, just close the wedge pipe a little more to raise the water level inside the skimmer chamber. This will allow you to skim more wet.

@shaggss, If you can keep the neck clean on a daily basis that would be idea. That's the purpose of the self cleaning heads, to keep that neck constantly clean. Having said that, it's not going to kill your skimmer performance. Just clean whenever time permits and you'll be fine.

Jeremy B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/20/2012, 10:08 AM   #1077
DBSAM
Registered Member

Thanks Jeremy

How high above the line would you recommend?

Into the white skimmer neck?

Getting out...
DBSAM is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/23/2012, 11:42 AM   #1078
Alex T.
Registered Member

Just bought a slightly used Supermarin 200 for my upcoming 195 SPS build...should be here in the next few days. . I tried searching through this thread but can't find the optimum sump depth for this skimmer. Having a custom sump built and wanted to be able to give the fabricator a skimmer depth for this anticipated beast.

Thanks in advance.

Current Tank Info: Currently in reboot mode
Alex T. is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/23/2012, 05:45 PM   #1079
sreefs
Registered Member

I have found 7 1/2 inches works best for mine! Great skimmer!

sreefs is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/23/2012, 10:57 PM   #1080
Alex T.
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sreefs View Post
I have found 7 1/2 inches works best for mine! Great skimmer!
Wow, now I'm really confused. Some people say 8.5 up to 9.5, and now I get one at 7.5.

Is there a manual online where Royal Exclusiv lists the optimum sump depth?

Unread 01/24/2012, 08:09 AM   #1081
Jeremy B.
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex T. View Post
Wow, now I'm really confused. Some people say 8.5 up to 9.5, and now I get one at 7.5.

Is there a manual online where Royal Exclusiv lists the optimum sump depth?
The Alpha's are in that 9" - 9.5" range, not the SM's. The SM's can be ran that deep, but I think you'd be better off around 8". HTH!

Unread 01/24/2012, 04:02 PM   #1082
sreefs
Registered Member

I would use 7.5 kept at a constant depth, 8" would most likely work ok. But no deeper!
I had mine at 8.5 and it would overflow about weekly, had to constantly adjust wedge pipe. Works great at 7.5.

sreefs is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/24/2012, 04:28 PM   #1083
Alex T.
Registered Member

Thanks guys.

I appreciate it.

Unread 01/24/2012, 06:39 PM   #1084
ksed
Registered Member

Klaus say's 20-25 cm as the optimal range.

ksed is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/26/2012, 08:20 AM   #1085
Jeremy B.
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksed View Post
Klaus say's 20-25 cm as the optimal range.

Unread 01/26/2012, 03:12 PM   #1086
Alex T.
Registered Member

Just received the BK Supermarin 200 today from member n-kleine used for one month.

It's sitting in RODI/white vinegar and will be running for the next 24 hours to get it sparkling clean. Once my new tank and sump are set up, it will be placed in its' new home. I can't believe I was wondering if I should go with the 250 Supermarin. This thing should be more than enough for my 195. I've never seen one in person. You hear all the time how well made these are but you just never understand until you hold one in your hands and feel the weight of the collection cup. Is this considered overkill for a 195 medium bioload of fish but heavily stocked with SPS?

Unread 01/26/2012, 06:47 PM   #1087
ccradr
Registered Member

Any ideas on how to effectively clean the bubble plate on a BK S250?

ccradr is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/27/2012, 01:00 AM   #1088
Reef_Noob
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex T. View Post
Just received the BK Supermarin 200 today from member n-kleine used for one month.

It's sitting in RODI/white vinegar and will be running for the next 24 hours to get it sparkling clean. Once my new tank and sump are set up, it will be placed in its' new home. I can't believe I was wondering if I should go with the 250 Supermarin. This thing should be more than enough for my 195. I've never seen one in person. You hear all the time how well made these are but you just never understand until you hold one in your hands and feel the weight of the collection cup. Is this considered overkill for a 195 medium bioload of fish but heavily stocked with SPS?
Congrats on your BK!!
You are absolutely spot on regrading the build quality and attention to detail that goes into a BK. And holding one in your hand makes you just feel proud to have acquired a piece of extreme craftsmanship. That's what I feel everytime I do maintenance on my BK not forgetting the weight of the skimmer cup

Personlly I feel there is nothing like overkill. Getting a powerful and bit overrated skimmer always helps keeping water quality top notch and helps SPS thrive.

Do post some pics of your new acquisition

Happy Reefing!!

BUILDING A DREAM....SPS Dominated 105cm x 51cm x 54cm (Low Iron Belgian Glass)....Please visit my homepage for build thread.

LED Lighting (CREE Main Unit 60w x2, T5 and T8 LED tubes), LED RGB-P Light bar, DIY Sump, Bubble King 180 Gen.2 Skimmer, TECO TR15 Chiller, Sicce Multi Return pump, X-Wave Rotary Device, Vortech MP40 ES, Hydor Korallia Wavemakers(2800 x2, 4000 x2), RR Wavemaker, 2x Nano Wavemakers, SIAM Ocean Media Reactor, Kent Phosphate Reactor, 6 Stage RO/DI unit, Ginko Sea Auto-top System.

Current Tank Info: DREAM 1.0 is up and running..,DREAM 2.0 build is underway (Read on from Page 25)
Reef_Noob is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/28/2012, 12:49 AM   #1089
urbaneks
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeremy B. View Post
You might try using some weldon #3 and just resealing it. It should be a really easy fix regardless unless the cup is busted up.
Jeremy, I have the same issue on my collection cup. I have some Weldon 4 here at the house, will it work to bond the two materials or is Weldon 3 a must? Thanks for all of your answers on this thread over the course of time. I've referred to this a number of times and you've been a great resource. I don't know if you realize how helpful this is for a lot of us.

Thanks,
Urbaneks

urbaneks is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/28/2012, 04:49 AM   #1090
shaggss
Registered Member

Hi Jeremy

Just wondering if RE are thinking of making a Becket type skimmer at all?

New build, planning stages. 30 x 20 x 20", Geisemann Spectra 250W with Radium, Profilux controller, Profilux doser 2, Fluval SP4 return pump, Life Reef 28
shaggss is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/28/2012, 03:24 PM   #1091
urbaneks
Registered Member

Jeremy,
One more questions, I've seen a few people in this thread attach a hose to the silencer in order to pull air from outside their stands. Does this improve performance? If this is a common practice what is the maximum length the hose can be before the pump performance is compromised?
Thanks again,

Unread 01/28/2012, 04:29 PM   #1092
shaggss
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbaneks View Post
Jeremy,
One more questions, I've seen a few people in this thread attach a hose to the silencer in order to pull air from outside their stands. Does this improve performance? If this is a common practice what is the maximum length the hose can be before the pump performance is compromised?
Thanks again,
This is usually done to draw fresh air with a lesser CO2 content than inside to increase your pH.

As for the length of hose I'll let Jeremy answer.

New build, planning stages. 30 x 20 x 20", Geisemann Spectra 250W with Radium, Profilux controller, Profilux doser 2, Fluval SP4 return pump, Life Reef 28
Unread 01/28/2012, 09:48 PM   #1093
urbaneks
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaggss View Post
This is usually done to draw fresh air with a lesser CO2 content than inside to increase your pH.

As for the length of hose I'll let Jeremy answer.
shaggss - Thanks for the extra information. I'm not having pH issues, I'm just having a difficult time getting the bubble king to produce consistent skimmate. I was wondering if the fresher air would aid the skimmer in skimmate production.

Unread 01/28/2012, 11:41 PM   #1094
shaggss
Registered Member

How old is your skimmer? It may just take awhile to settle down? I had the same with mine but after a few weeks it is started producing a nice consistent dry sludge! (I am skimming dry).

Unread 01/28/2012, 11:58 PM   #1095
urbaneks
Registered Member

The skimmer is new to my system but is a year+ old. It did get a good cleaning before going in my tank so I know it needs some break in. With that said, it will get going after about 4 hours and then lose it's head as soon as I feed the tank.

Where do you run the water level inside your skimmer? Just tonight, I moved the water level inside the skimmer up to the point where the clear plastic hits the white portion of the collection cup. This is well above the sticker on the skimmer. I based this on several posts by Jeremy where he said that the line on the sticker is too low.

Unread 01/29/2012, 02:00 AM   #1096
shaggss
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbaneks View Post
The skimmer is new to my system but is a year+ old. It did get a good cleaning before going in my tank so I know it needs some break in. With that said, it will get going after about 4 hours and then lose it's head as soon as I feed the tank.

Where do you run the water level inside your skimmer? Just tonight, I moved the water level inside the skimmer up to the point where the clear plastic hits the white portion of the collection cup. This is well above the sticker on the skimmer. I based this on several posts by Jeremy where he said that the line on the sticker is too low.

That's about where mine is too. And as Jeremy has said, the sticker is not really a limit. You need to adjust it to your system. Don't be too hasty though, and yes mine does loose it's foam head occasionally. No big deal really. I find just the slightest adjustment can tip things too far so let it settle for a day or two after an adjustment and see what happens.

Unread 02/01/2012, 05:58 PM   #1097
jzdad
Love2Reef

BubbleKing. 180 0r 200

Which one would work best on a 180/150g heavy bioload of fish and corals w/30g sump

I've always believed that you get a skimmer for size or one step up that way the skimmer is always working and keeping up with the load .if BK skimmers are good for doing that then there is no real need to oversize?..Then why oversize
I see lots of people going way oversize with their skimmers. I know skimming is the most important thing in reefing but is bigger always better, I mean if it is one of those basic low to mid skimmers( no names ) yea step up a few sizes but with a BK then they are made to work, Right?

I dont know skimming and want to get the right skimmer and not have to spend money going from skimmer to skimmer.So which would work best again the 180 or 200Thanks
Confused when comes to skimmers

Current Tank Info: 80g , ATI 6 bulb fixture, Omega 150 skimmer
jzdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/02/2012, 10:57 AM   #1098
n8rad
Registered Member

i assume your asking about the mini 180 or 200?
200 but if you got the room go for a SM200 or 250 if your talking a 180 heavy bioload/coral.

Unread 02/02/2012, 02:39 PM   #1099
jzdad
Love2Reef

Quote:
Originally Posted by n8rad View Post
i assume your asking about the mini 180 or 200?
200 but if you got the room go for a SM200 or 250 if your talking a 180 heavy bioload/coral.
Yea thanks, the mini , i dont have much room or the extra 800 dollars for the SM200. LOL !

Current Tank Info: 80g , ATI 6 bulb fixture, Omega 150 skimmer
jzdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/03/2012, 09:56 PM   #1100
drdoolittle
Registered Member

Hello, does anyone know how to clean an Alpha 250 silencer? the air suction seem to have develops some kind of restriction into the pump. i would like to clean whatever inside of it.

thanks
Ed

drdoolittle is offline   Reply With Quote