Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 01/11/2015, 11:40 PM   #1
GettinFishy
Registered Member

Caribbean Reef Squid

Hello All!

I was diving the other day off of Juno Beach, FL and saw some small squids swimming near shore. They let me get close but not close enough to catch. I've googled some lures that are designed to catch cuttlefish but I was wondering what the best way to catch them would be? Also my 300 gallon aquarium is 6 feet long and 3 feet tall, would it provide a good home for the squid if I do catch one?

GettinFishy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/18/2015, 02:29 PM   #2
Betta132
Registered Member

Squid are bad for aquariums because they kill themselves running into walls if startled. Remember, they don't understand what glass is, and they're bags of squishiness that can move fast if scared. That's a recipe for calamari.
I don't think anyone has managed to keep them alive for long. Plus, they'll probably eat your other stuff.
Perhaps a long-handled net would work for a better ID? Maybe take some frozen shrimp and fling it in their direction to coax them closer.

Unread 01/18/2015, 08:10 PM   #3
josh0302
Registered Member

Squid are extremely hard to keep because of their swimming pattern, depth, and lifespan. Plus barely anyone keeps them because so articles and care sheets are limited.
If you really want a cephalopod, I believe you are in the range of octopus brierus (not sure on spelling) the caribbean reef octopus, which is a much easier (not to say they are easy) to care for. But if you catch one you don't know how old it is and you might not have long with it. I recommend catching a small one. The best time to catch them is at dusk, when they are out hunting. Lure them out with shrimp or crabs. Corral it into a bucket then. Hope this helped.

Last edited by josh0302; 01/18/2015 at 08:16 PM.
josh0302 is offline   Reply With Quote