Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Sponsor Forums > Neptune Systems
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 01/17/2010, 06:59 AM   #1
aquamanic
WHO DAT??

Question email services that work with the Apex

A common problem new Apex users face is getting email to work properly. Frequently it's because their service is not compatibile with the Apex - like Google and the SSL requirement. If everyone that has WORKING email would post what they use, I'll compile a list and maybe we can post it as a sticky. I need the service, the SMTP server name and the port that's used. I use GMX so I'll start there:

Service: GMX
SMTP Server: mail.gmx.com
Port: 587

Unread 01/17/2010, 11:13 AM   #2
cediss
Registered Member

Good idea. A few basics to cover for people like me that don't know a lot about this stuff. At least not until we talk to people like Russ and Ken and Aquamanic.
You can have a different Internet service provider (ISP) from the e-mail service. But you will need information from both and as Aquamic points out not all e-mail clients work. For intance, my ISP is AT&T Uverse and I found out they block port 25. Additionally I needed the Primary and Secondary DNS servers which I found within the gateway (router) system page.
Then I used gmx mail as Aquamanic has to send e-mail to my other "normal" yahoo and gmail accounts.
I hope this all makes sense, because byreading the manual I could not tell if I had to use all the settings from my ISP only, but you don't and chances are you can't.

So here's mine,
smtp server: mail.gmx.com
smtp port: 587 (because AT&T blocks 25)
From address: "my account"@gmx.com
To address: "my account"@yahoo.com
Alt address: "my account"@gmail.com
email authentication checked enable
Username:"my account"@gmx.com
password: "yours for mail assoc. With smtp above"xxxxxx

cediss is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/18/2010, 07:29 AM   #3
aquamanic
WHO DAT??

Bump

Unread 01/19/2010, 04:36 PM   #4
aquamanic
WHO DAT??

Bump

Unread 01/19/2010, 05:14 PM   #5
mnml
Registered Member

This is so helpful, I've not been able to get my alerts working. Will give this a try.

One question, do you have to register your forwarding email address within the GMX account?

I've created a GMX mail account, do I always need to register my Yahoo account inside GMX?

Current Tank Info: Waterbox 130.4
mnml is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/19/2010, 06:36 PM   #6
aquamanic
WHO DAT??

in GMX go to Settings, Filter Rules then create a rule to "forward all email". Put in your Yahoo address and select OK. That's it.

Unread 01/19/2010, 07:50 PM   #7
cediss
Registered Member

Re: email services that work with the Apex

I don't think I had to make any special settings in the gmx account. Just send like all mail. You could forward, but not necessary.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

cediss is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/19/2010, 09:44 PM   #8
ENS
Registered Member

I use ATT-Yahoo DSL, and these are the settings listed by ATT (but I found the port did not work when trying to send test emails, and I had to use the default 25 ). Got it working today for test messages, but isn't yet working for alarm trigger events (I need to update my firmware - Curt has been fantasic in responding and assisting ... best service ever!).

Incoming (POP) pop.att.yahoo.com

Outgoing (SMTP) smtp.att.yahoo.com
(requires authentication)

Incoming mail server: POP3

Incoming/Outgoing User Name: Full AT&T email address, including domain (e.g., name @att.net, name @bellsouth.net, @sbcglobal.net, etc.

Incoming mail port #: 995, secure connection (SSL) checked

Outgoing mail port # 465, secure connection (SSL) checked (wouldn't work -- had to use port 25)

Current Tank Info: In process of designing/building new custom in-wall 330gl tank w/ 220gl sump system, LED lights, Neptune Apex controller, Deltec TC2560 skimmer, Deltec Kalk Rxtr, Ozone, and lots of other toys/equip. Moved in 2014, leaving prior in-wall tank.

Last edited by ENS; 01/19/2010 at 10:00 PM.
ENS is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/19/2010, 09:55 PM   #9
kenargo
Premium Member

I use Verizon:

outgoing.verizon.net

Nothing special; port 25, auth and password same as I use for Outlook or web access.

Click on my name to visit my homepage and access a collection of AquaController and Apex software, tips, trick and other Q&A including a link to the 'unofficial Apex new users guide' with loads of helpful information and don't forget to put a pin in my location map.

Current Tank Info: 225G, BK 300 Deluxe, Deltec PF601, Precision Marine Kalkreactor, 2-LMIII+6 pumps, SpectraPure UHE, Apex, LunarSim, Tunze 6305s. Mixed reef, clam, fish, etc.
kenargo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/19/2010, 10:35 PM   #10
bhammer
Addicted User

Quote:
Originally Posted by ENS View Post
I use ATT-Yahoo DSL, and these are the settings listed by ATT (but I found the port did not work when trying to send test emails, and I had to use the default 25 ). Got it working today for test messages, but isn't yet working for alarm trigger events

That is where I was until I switched to GMX> My test would work just fine but the triggers would not be received.

bhammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/19/2010, 11:35 PM   #11
mnml
Registered Member

Got it working, thanks for the help!

Current Tank Info: Waterbox 130.4
mnml is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/20/2010, 08:12 AM   #12
aquamanic
WHO DAT??

Bump

This thread is veering in a different direction. The original purpose is to post those email services that are working with the Apex so new owners won't struggle as much.

If you use an email service other than GMX, Verizon or AT&T, please post it along with the SMTP server and port.

Unread 01/20/2010, 08:35 AM   #13
swearint
Registered Member

Southeast regional cable/internet provider Knology:

SMTP server: smtp.knology.net
Port 25

Todd

The enumeration in the Constitution, of certain rights, shall not be construed to deny or disparage others retained by the people.

Current Tank Info: 125g Reef
swearint is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/20/2010, 04:23 PM   #14
aquamanic
WHO DAT??

So far we have:

GMX
AT&T - Yahoo
Knology
Verizon

There's got to be more...

Unread 01/21/2010, 11:50 PM   #15
Cathy8424
Registered Member

I was using mail.gmx.com, but I couldn't get it to work with my email. I checked with the techies, and they said gmx was blocked because it was a spam magnet?

I am not a techie by a long shot, so may be some one else can comment on this?

Cathy8424 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/22/2010, 08:16 AM   #16
aquamanic
WHO DAT??

Who's blocking it? Are you talking about at work? If so, that's pretty typical - to block direct access to web mail (GMX, Yahoo, Gmail, AOL, etc.) but it should not impact your Apex. Let the Apex send email alerts to GMX then setup a forwarding rule in GMX to forward all email to your office or blackberry email.

Unread 01/22/2010, 10:40 AM   #17
Cathy8424
Registered Member

It is the place that maintains my private web site, as well as many others. When I contacted them to see why I couldn't get email form GMX, they told me GMX was blocked because it was a spam magnet. T

Then they stepped me through how to set it up through my email with my web site on their server. Turns out I can get it direct there and don't need to go through a secondary.

Cathy8424 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/27/2010, 08:01 PM   #18
pjewett
aquariablog

Anyone get the email option to work with GoDaddy accounts yet? I own my own domains/email but can't get it to work.

Current Tank Info: 90 gal DT w/sump, Apex, LED's, Vortec MP40
pjewett is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/27/2010, 11:16 PM   #19
bhammer
Addicted User

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjewett View Post
Anyone get the email option to work with GoDaddy accounts yet? I own my own domains/email but can't get it to work.
With godaddy, you have to pay for the SMTP relay service. If you have this, run the email test and post the results. I would start a new thread thread for that.

Last edited by bhammer; 01/27/2010 at 11:16 PM. Reason: added "T" to smTP
bhammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/28/2010, 01:01 AM   #20
Shock130
Registered Member

I have my own domain/emails. I setup my emails to come from my "apex" email, to send texts to my cellphone, works just fine. Find on your email accounts how to add the accounts to Outlook or another client. and just use those, should work fine. I use SiteGround BTW, not godaddy.

Unread 01/21/2011, 09:11 AM   #21
jimrawr
Registered Member

Does GMX no longer work? Ive set it up with the info from the first post, and still not receiving any emails when I try to test email

jimrawr is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/21/2011, 09:29 AM   #22
Hawkdl2
Mad Scientist

I use GMX with the same settings as Alan and it works fine - I know because I've recently received tank-saving ph and Waterbug alarms by email and text. I also use a "if Time..." statement to send a test email every morning.

I don't use the GMX account for anything else, so I log in once every month or two just to make sure they know my account is active. Don't know if it's necessary, but I do anyway.

Current Tank Info: 120g mixed reef.
Hawkdl2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/21/2011, 10:22 AM   #23
jimrawr
Registered Member

Email enable E
SMTP Server: mail.gmx.com
SMTP port:587
To: mylogin@gmx.com
Alt To: NONE
Re-email delay (minutes):60
Email authentication Enabled
User name: mylogin
User password : mypass

Here are my settings, but its still not working.. What gives?? :/

jimrawr is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/21/2011, 12:15 PM   #24
aquamanic
WHO DAT??

Have you run the telnet diagnostics to see what the specific error is that's being reported?

Also, who is your ISP?

Unread 01/21/2011, 12:17 PM   #25
jrpark22000
Registered Member

Mine, works without a problem for Apex and AC3. I host my websites off theiw service; 1and1.com

SMTP Server
smtp.1and1.com

SMTP port (Default 25)

APEX_reef@x.com

To: address
xxx@xxx.com

Alt To: address
1112223333@txt.att.net

Re-email delay (minutes)

Email authentication Enabled

User name
xxx@xxx.com