Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > New to the Hobby
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 06/09/2009, 07:10 PM   #376
Aquarist007
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Tschupe
Found this on craigs list . I know its alot cheaper buying an established system but would I be better off starting from scratch as far as learning everything I need to know?? What are your opinions on this. http://phoenix.craigslist.org/evl/for/1213405638.html
put it this way--100 lbs of live rock is going to be at least 500 bucks to buy

this is the kind of deal I suggested to you to find---good deal

the skimmer may be weak but who cares at this point

Current Tank Info: 150gal long mixed reef, 90gal sump, 60 gal refugium with 200 lbs live rock
Aquarist007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/09/2009, 07:13 PM   #377
Tschupe
Registered Member

Thanks, yeah I can replace the skimmer with the money i;ll save. I think I'll call him

Tschupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/09/2009, 07:27 PM   #378
Aquarist007
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Tschupe
Thanks, yeah I can replace the skimmer with the money i;ll save. I think I'll call him
good luck---be sure to ask if there are any scatches on the glass

Current Tank Info: 150gal long mixed reef, 90gal sump, 60 gal refugium with 200 lbs live rock
Unread 06/09/2009, 07:29 PM   #379
Aquarist007
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by iggygrl76
Well i suppose its time to introduce myself! lol.
Im Karin Ill be 33 in july...Ive kept freshwater fish since I was a kid and have had saltwater on and off for about 11 years.

I like to keep what peeps refer to as "nano" systems. Though I have had experience maintaing and keeping commercial store tanks and display tanks for about 4-5 years...I like my lil nanos though lil mini environments are easier for me to focus on.

I have a 12g aquapod now my next venture i think im going to attempt to raise and breed dwarf seahorses Ive kepts eclectis successfully in the past...and I love them fascinating lil critters.
Karin---age is relative--you are a kid to me---I have a daughter your age.

You will have to post some pictures of your nano

To Reef Central

Unread 06/10/2009, 04:59 AM   #380
Michael
NTTH Rookie Help

Quote:
Originally posted by iggygrl76
Well i suppose its time to introduce myself! lol.
Im Karin Ill be 33 in july...Ive kept freshwater fish since I was a kid and have had saltwater on and off for about 11 years.

I like to keep what peeps refer to as "nano" systems. Though I have had experience maintaing and keeping commercial store tanks and display tanks for about 4-5 years...I like my lil nanos though lil mini environments are easier for me to focus on.

I have a 12g aquapod now my next venture i think im going to attempt to raise and breed dwarf seahorses Ive kepts eclectis successfully in the past...and I love them fascinating lil critters.
welcome to the forum karin

To Reef Central

MY Very Kindest and Warmest Regards ,
MIKE

Current Tank Info: I have a 92 gal Corner Tank, and way too many pieces of equipment to list really, (proud member of the reef central corner club)
Michael is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/10/2009, 12:06 PM   #381
ControlFreak
Registered Member

I'm new to ReefCentral. I have a BioCube 29g that's been set up about a week and a half. I've learned a lot since then and hope to learn a lot more.

ControlFreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/10/2009, 12:10 PM   #382
Michael
NTTH Rookie Help

well a 29 is becomming quite a common starter size, i see a few new members starting with a 29, hey look if you like reading then i strongly recommend our forum mod waterkeepers article for newcommers, ive read litrally thousands of articles and comments and still learn something every time i read this, welcome to the forum

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/sh...readid=1031074

To Reef Central

MIKE

Current Tank Info: I have a 92 gal Corner Tank, and way too many pieces of equipment to list really, (proud member of the reef central corner club)
Unread 06/10/2009, 04:01 PM   #383
Lalorelei
Registered Member

Another newbie

Hi, I just got into reefs. I have been keeping freshwater fish for a year now, and I am totally addicted. I have wanted a reef tank from the beginning, but everyone told me it was too hard. I am glad I had the experience with freshwater first, but when I got the chance to get a 125 gal reef tank on craigslist I jumped on it. I LOVE it. There is so much I need to learn. I am totally new to corals, and while I got an existing tank, I have added a refugium and started adding corals. The person who owned this tank didn't do much with it in the year he had it, which must be why he could bare to sell it. I am in love with it. I know I will have so many questions to start asking.

Lalorelei is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/10/2009, 04:07 PM   #384
Aquarist007
Registered Member

Re: Another newbie

Quote:
Originally posted by Lalorelei
Hi, I just got into reefs. I have been keeping freshwater fish for a year now, and I am totally addicted. I have wanted a reef tank from the beginning, but everyone told me it was too hard. I am glad I had the experience with freshwater first, but when I got the chance to get a 125 gal reef tank on craigslist I jumped on it. I LOVE it. There is so much I need to learn. I am totally new to corals, and while I got an existing tank, I have added a refugium and started adding corals. The person who owned this tank didn't do much with it in the year he had it, which must be why he could bare to sell it. I am in love with it. I know I will have so many questions to start asking.

Welcome to Reef Central Lalorelei

what else was included with your tank?

Unread 06/10/2009, 04:35 PM   #385
Lalorelei
Registered Member

Ok, there wasn't much coral, just a few mushrooms, and I am looking to add a lot more. I like softies, leathers and gorgonians.
1 sailfin tang
1 yellow tang
1 regal tang
mated pair tomato clowns
flame angel
coral beauty
3 blue damsels
3 pajama cardinals
1 foxface
1 blackcap
1 royal gramma
1 chalk basslet

I really want to work on adding the corals. I can't find a good source of mushrooms, so if anyone has some frags, I would love a variety to put in. Do I need to feed the mushrooms directly?

Any suggestions on stopping my urchin from moving frags around?

Lalorelei is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/10/2009, 09:28 PM   #386
Aquarist007
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Lalorelei
Ok, there wasn't much coral, just a few mushrooms, and I am looking to add a lot more. I like softies, leathers and gorgonians.
1 sailfin tang
1 yellow tang
1 regal tang
mated pair tomato clowns
flame angel
coral beauty
3 blue damsels
3 pajama cardinals
1 foxface
1 blackcap
1 royal gramma
1 chalk basslet

I really want to work on adding the corals. I can't find a good source of mushrooms, so if anyone has some frags, I would love a variety to put in. Do I need to feed the mushrooms directly?

Any suggestions on stopping my urchin from moving frags around?
wow--that's a heavily stocked tank--I hope you have an excellent protein skimmer with it.

put the urchin in the refugium--it will think it has found the garden of eden.

mushrooms do not need to be spot fed

Unread 06/10/2009, 11:18 PM   #387
shortys513
Registered Member

Hi all,

I'm new here. I have one 60 gallon acrylic that is empty right now except for live sand and rock, and a glass 40 gallon that I might fill, might use as a sump, might make freshwater. This is my first saltwater tank, it was freshwater before and after moving to San Francisco I decided to go saltwater. I just bought a 48" Odyssea Power Compact with two regular bulbs and two blue ones (actinic?) and 4 little LED's on it.

I have a fluval 305 that I loved on my freshwater tank, and am hoping it will work for saltwater. Any tips? I have an Instant Ocean Sea Clone 100 for a protein skimmer, which seems to collecting all sorts of junk. The tank was been cycling for about a week now with the salinity at 1.022 and pH at 7.8 (a little low?) and ammonia, nitrates and nitrites at 0. Phew. I've been told that the light fixture is right for the soft corals that I like. Not sure what they're called but I pointed to them in the store and he continually nodded his head.

I'm excited, this seems like a great resource!

shortys513 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/11/2009, 12:21 AM   #388
rowr
Registered Member

Hi Everyone..
I got my JBJ 24 gallon nanocube about a month ago and it's still cycling right now. I've never had any kind of tank before, I'm looking forward to building up something beautiful. I'm sure I'll have questions so thanks in advance for your advice and help.

rowr is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/11/2009, 12:24 AM   #389
Michael
NTTH Rookie Help

lol, you will find the lfs employees always nod their heads,
anyhow welcome to the forum, the basics for a reef aquarium is live rock, powerheads,lights and a skimmer, nothing else needed for a basic system, you will see some outstanding systems on here, most have all types of other filteration and gimmets etc, as you gain experience you may want to follow suit, until then keep it basic and you will learn as you go along.

if you can accomodate a sump and your sure you can get it up and running then do so as its a great asset for hiding equipment and aiding water volume.

i recommend you raise your sg to 1.026 and the ph isnt too bad if its stable, the 305 canister isnt needed on a reef, however they can be useful so if you dont use it at this early stage keep it for future use.

dont forget to read waterkeepers sticky thread under this one at the top of the forum.

To Reef Central

MIKE

Unread 06/11/2009, 12:26 AM   #390
Michael
NTTH Rookie Help

Quote:
Originally posted by rowr
Hi Everyone..
I got my JBJ 24 gallon nanocube about a month ago and it's still cycling right now. I've never had any kind of tank before, I'm looking forward to building up something beautiful. I'm sure I'll have questions so thanks in advance for your advice and help.
welcome to the forum, you were posting whilst i was responding to shorty, so if your confused by my post you now know why

To Reef Central

MIKE

Unread 06/11/2009, 07:54 PM   #391
rbredding
I HEART BUILD THREADS!!!

Hi-all...

I'm jumping into your hobby with both feet.. literally, I could fit inside my tank (it wouldn't be comfortable) and I'm 6' tall...

I've got a background in construction and can pretty much build/repair anything I can get my hands on (so i'm a DIY kinda guy - but I'll spend a hundred dollars to save me a full weekend of work, as time is precious...)

enuff about me..

Here are my intentions:

I'd like to start(or is it develop) a mixed reef tank that is relatively easy to keep clean (i've got a touch of OCD) and here's what I'm starting with:

*60X18X20 glass tank with overflow boxes in the corners (and Durso type standpipes)
*AMiracle ProLine 2000 trickle filter that has been Frankenstein'd that I'm probably going to use later as a frag tank
*30SF of 3/16" acrylic that will become my sump with refugium (magically?)
*Fluval 404 canister filter
*Aquanetics UV sterilizer
*Several powerheads for circulation in the tank
*Berlin Classic Skimmer
*Blue Line 40HD-X external pump (return)
*Canopy for the unit contains 2 MH lamps and 4 T12 HO fluorescents with actenic bulbs.. (I'll be modifying the canopy to get the MH's up off the water more)
*Aquanetics Chiller 1/5HP inline with controller
*Base cabinet to hide all this stuff...

I got all this stuff on trade from a buddy at work, it was used (from a guy that owned a LFS) and for the most part it all runs well and I was able to clean it up (I'd never torn apart a magnetic water pump before, but it too, is cleaned up and softly hums as it drives water through my test setup)..

What are my odds of being able to pull this off?

oh.. and hello, I'm Ron

Current Tank Info: 90gal Reef & 30L Dwarf Fish Only
rbredding is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/12/2009, 11:14 AM   #392
AquaticMadness
Registered Member

Hi everyone. I am new to this forum and fairly new to salt water as well. I breed and have been involved in the freshwater side for around 17 years.

I am getting out of that now for the most part. I have started collecting Acans and love them. I am getting into fragging. Well I guess I will see you all around the forums.

AquaticMadness is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/13/2009, 06:06 AM   #393
SliceNdice
Registered Member

Hello everyone..finally joined..and fairly new to the hobby..been in the game for 3 years and counting..i have a 90g mixed reef. been running for a year..not sure if i can post pics here...

-current usa hqi/t5-2x250w mh & 4x54w actinics. pheonix 14k.
-20g sump.
-pro clear overflow box(u-tube type)
-quiet one 2200 return pump..
-aqua c ev-120 skimmer
-110lbs lr
-80lbs. ls
-corallife ro/di unit 4stage 50gpd..
-oceanic salt..
-2xkarallia#4 powerhead..
-hydor 400w heater
-jbj diqital temp..
thats all i can think of for now..i also have a 24g aquapod with a fuzzy dwarf lionfish..up for a month now..

Last edited by SliceNdice; 06/13/2009 at 06:33 AM.
SliceNdice is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/13/2009, 06:32 AM   #394
SliceNdice
Registered Member

heres my pic of the 90g..

SliceNdice is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/13/2009, 06:52 AM   #395
AquaticMadness
Registered Member

Nice tank. I would post my 125 but I don't have a camera.

AquaticMadness is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/13/2009, 07:34 AM   #396
firstsalt
Registered Member

hi

Unread 06/13/2009, 07:35 AM   #397
firstsalt
Registered Member

and very nice

Unread 06/13/2009, 07:43 AM   #398
Claudettebillie
Registered Member

Hi, my name is Emilee and I live in Maine. I've joined here because I've always wanted a saltwater tank but they've always intimidated me. I decided recently that I'm going to try tackling a saltwater and see how it goes. I have lots of questions on things that I'm not quite understanding so I hope you will all be patient with me! I do have a 37 gallon freshwater tank with one angelfish, 7 danios, 4 cories, and a dwarf gourami, so I'm not new to tanks completely.

I also have a dog, cat, and two ferrets.

Claudettebillie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/13/2009, 09:36 AM   #399
Michael
NTTH Rookie Help

well its really great to see another 3 or 4 new members, hello all , my advice to all you guys and gals is to read the stickys at the top of the forum under this thread, also click on capn_hyliners red house for even more information and advice.

welcome to the new to the hobby forum and slicendice, nice tank you have there.

To Reef Central

MIKE

Unread 06/13/2009, 01:49 PM   #400
Crab>Fish
Registered Member

Hi, I'm Chrisy.

My boyfriend is a reef addict, and I'll be taking over his tanks when he deploys in August. He has 2 gold stripe maroons, which he is moving over to a 14 biocube which will be easier for me to take care of than his larger self-modified tank. He also just bought me a 40 hex for my bedroom which is currently cycling with live rock and sand. Currently I have a solomon isle true perc and an oscellaris in a ten gallon. They'll be moving to the 40 when it's safe. Not sure yet what else I'm putting in the 40, but I have a dream team all planned out...

Crab>Fish is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
brain coral, new member, sick coral