Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Sponsor Forums > Neptune Systems
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 07/26/2007, 09:54 AM   #26
Doni
Registered Member

I remedied mine by plugging the skimmer pump and the mini-jet into the same outlet That has worked out great because now I have another outlet I can use to control another item

Current Tank Info: ** 120 AGA reef and 1000+ gallons of clownfish! **
Doni is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/26/2007, 12:38 PM   #27
neverwouldof
Registered Member

What does the Soft Start really help with ? Can i just go with the DC4H if i'll be running Icecap 660's and MH-400watt ballasts?

Keith

Current Tank Info: Elos 160 Aquarium - ATI Powermodule 60" 10 bulb - GHL Profilux Controller -Elos NS2000 Skimmer - Vortech MP40's - Avast Media Reactor
neverwouldof is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/26/2007, 01:30 PM   #28
clp
RC Sponsor

Soft start reduces the wear & tear on pumps. Also, since the triacs in the DC8 are solid state, then are completely silent when turning on/off. A DC4HD will work fine w/ the ballasts you mention.

Curt

clp is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/30/2007, 05:59 PM   #29
Kevin McG
Registered Member

Oh my finding this thread may be the cause of my problems. I had been having issues with my T5 ballasts turning off for a minute or so then turning back on. I thought this was due to heat but still has been doing it with a fan directly on the ballast. Now today while doing a water change I noticed a dosing pump that I am using is turning on for a cycle every now and then and then turning back off??

I am going to try and plug another source(lightbulb) and see if it still happens but I'll tell ya right now if it is I am going to be really ****ed! I could have wiped out my whole tank without knowing this and some notes in the directions would of been nice.

I'm not jumping to conclusion right now and will report back after I test with the bulb.

Kevin McG is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/02/2007, 09:55 AM   #30
crazy loaches
Registered Member

Is it just the DC8 that has this problem... everyone seems to indicate using the DC4HD as an alternative but what about the regular DC4 will it have these problems or not? I am mainly concerned about a few Tom Aqualifter pumps and solenoids for CO2 and auto water changers.

Is there going to be a fix of some sort to disable the soft start? I'd really like to save money with the 8's instead of 4's...

Current Tank Info: 240g, fully automated
crazy loaches is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/25/2007, 09:41 AM   #31
sandry
Registered Member

Curt,

Is a lack of responsibility to do not put in the user's guide a note about this issue. I bought a Neptune with DC8 in July and after 3 days working with Kalk dozer to rise the pH the dozer pump don't stop and I lost 90% of my hardness coral. I'm disappointed.

sandry is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/25/2007, 09:51 AM   #32
clp
RC Sponsor

sandry,
I'm sorry to hear about your loss. When we became aware of the incompatiblity we did update the DC8 owner's manual. In the DC8 manual on our website and shipping the following note is included:

NOTE: Some extremely small pumps (i.e. Aqualifter), may not be shut off when controlled by a
DC8 due to their poor power factor. Work arounds include:
- Plug an additional load (small light bulb/wall wart transformer/fan) in parallel with the load.
- Use a socket expansion box to control the device.
- Use a DC4 or DC4HD to control the device.

Curt

Unread 09/25/2007, 03:01 PM   #33
Reeferhead
Recovering Reef Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by clp
sandry,
I'm sorry to hear about your loss. When we became aware of the incompatiblity we did update the DC8 owner's manual. In the DC8 manual on our website and shipping the following note is included:

NOTE: Some extremely small pumps (i.e. Aqualifter), may not be shut off when controlled by a
DC8 due to their poor power factor. Work arounds include:
- Plug an additional load (small light bulb/wall wart transformer/fan) in parallel with the load.
- Use a socket expansion box to control the device.
- Use a DC4 or DC4HD to control the device.

Curt
That's great Curt but the same message should be placed in the product description as well. Also, I can't find the DC8 manual on your website. Can you provide a link?

St. Louis Area Saltwater Hobbyists' (SLASH) Coral Donor Program (CDP)
Because, "Friends don't let friends pay $50 a polyp!"
Over 200 different corals and counting...

Current Tank Info: 352 Quintillion Gallon
Reeferhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/25/2007, 04:51 PM   #34
clp
RC Sponsor

The manual is in the downloads section of the support page: http://www.neptunesys.com/manuals.htm . It is not on our product discription because the DC8s (serial #'s greater than 9000) now have relays on outlets 4 & 8, so it is no longer an issue.

Curt

Unread 09/25/2007, 07:53 PM   #35
crazy loaches
Registered Member

Thats finally some good news. Are these new DC8's shipping then?

Current Tank Info: 240g, fully automated
crazy loaches is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/25/2007, 10:32 PM   #36
Brent Thomann
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by crazy loaches
Thats finally some good news. Are these new DC8's shipping then?
would like to know too-

Brent Thomann is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/26/2007, 10:52 AM   #37
clp
RC Sponsor

Yes, they started shipping in August.

Curt

Unread 09/26/2007, 10:25 PM   #38
janakaybravo
Registered Member

Curt, what do the relays do on outlets 4 and 8? Do they remove the soft start or give an option to disable it on those outlets?

Current Tank Info: 290 gallon AGE reef tank, QT
janakaybravo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/27/2007, 06:58 AM   #39
kngfisher
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by clp
The manual is in the downloads section of the support page: http://www.neptunesys.com/manuals.htm . It is not on our product discription because the DC8s (serial #'s greater than 9000) now have relays on outlets 4 & 8, so it is no longer an issue.

Curt
Can you add this into the the owners manual for if someone was not subscribed to reef central and monitoring this thread, they would have no idea that for instance the dosing pump should be on either outlet 4 or 8 of their DC8.

kngfisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/27/2007, 11:27 AM   #40
clp
RC Sponsor

On the newer DC8s outlets 4 & 8 are relays and don't have soft-start. The rest of the outlets still have soft-start.
The manual included w/ the newer DC8s document the differences between the 4 and 8 and the rest of the outlets.

Curt

Unread 09/27/2007, 10:49 PM   #41
kngfisher
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by clp

Curt
is there any way to exchange my current DC8 [SN# 7048] for the newer unit SN# > 9000?

Last edited by kngfisher; 09/27/2007 at 11:11 PM.
kngfisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/28/2007, 10:54 AM   #42
clp
RC Sponsor

If the unit is in new/unused condition, original packaging, and was purchase within the last 30 days, then yes we will exchange it for you. Contact sales@neptunesys.com .

Curt

Unread 09/28/2007, 08:58 PM   #43
jnb
Premium Member

soft start & mh

Is it better to not use the soft start dc8 when switching MH's? Seeing this thread and noticing that my new electronic ballast and MH - I am getting more starting flicker than with my previous 250 watt system?

jnb is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/01/2007, 10:51 AM   #44
clp
RC Sponsor

Soft start has no affect on a MH ballasts. It is very unlikely that the flicker has anything to do with the direct connect box.

Curt

Unread 10/09/2007, 02:32 PM   #45
blange3
Brewer and Reefer

Glad I found this thread, my aqualifter was working fine during the day, but not at night!

Thought I was going crazy. Fortunately no damage was done.

Current Tank Info: 180gal with 100 gal Sump CSS Octopus NW150, Mag 18 return, Jebao RW20, 2xMJ 900's 320w VHO Actinics and 320w overdriven T5's coming back online after a FW break
blange3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/07/2007, 09:57 PM   #46
ssbreef
Registered Member

This controller is a piece of crap! I bought it a week ago just to control my lights. It starts and stops my MH's and T5's at any given time for absolutely no reason at all. Sometimes it will turn off my lights 10 minutes before closing time and then turn them on 5 minutes later, turn them back off on time and then turn ALL my lights back on at about 3 in the morning. Is this thing possessed or what. I bought it to fix an X10 problem I had with my Octopus3000. The owner told me I shouldn't have a prob with this because of the DC8.....Yeah sure! Do I go out and get me a couple of timers and ditch this piece of crap or is there an easy fix...

Current Tank Info: 180g inwall SPS, 225G Softy
ssbreef is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/08/2007, 12:20 AM   #47
NaH2Ofreak
Premium Member

I have a DC8 also that was purchased about 2-3 years ago. It always has to reboot after you change a setting. Then ya have to go back and reset the tank time. Recently, my heater program stopped working. Even though there is no change to the program, the heater does not shut off when it is programed to >78.5. Even thought the ACjr's temp shows 80.0F, the heater is still on!!!!! Only recent change has been adding a Tunze 7095 multicontroller and an extra tunze 6101 stream. I wouldnt think there would be any interference. ...never been real happy with this controller.

Dennis

NaH2Ofreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/08/2007, 12:42 AM   #48
janakaybravo
Registered Member

I love my AC3. I've had it a couple months and it's never screwed up yet.

Current Tank Info: 290 gallon AGE reef tank, QT
janakaybravo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/08/2007, 10:40 AM   #49
clp
RC Sponsor

NaH2Ofreak, please contact support@neptunesys.com. The unit shouldn't reboot after program changes, and corrupt the tank time.
ssbreef, please email support@neptunesys.com with your program statements and timer names list, and I will help you debug the issue(s) with your program.

Curt

Unread 12/08/2007, 01:39 PM   #50
tonga_man
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by ssbreef
This controller is a piece of crap! I bought it a week ago just to control my lights. It starts and stops my MH's and T5's at any given time for absolutely no reason at all. Sometimes it will turn off my lights 10 minutes before closing time and then turn them on 5 minutes later, turn them back off on time and then turn ALL my lights back on at about 3 in the morning. Is this thing possessed or what. I bought it to fix an X10 problem I had with my Octopus3000. The owner told me I shouldn't have a prob with this because of the DC8.....Yeah sure! Do I go out and get me a couple of timers and ditch this piece of crap or is there an easy fix...
I have been using the piece of crap (note - Bold and Italics)AQ for years without any issues. X-10, then DC4 and DC8. Why don't you post your program so we can try and help you with your problem.

tonga_man is offline   Reply With Quote