Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > New to the Hobby
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 07/18/2018, 12:46 PM   #1
Kilich
Registered Member

New Refugium Question - Lighting

Im converting a HOB Marina breeder tank into a refugium. they are roughly 10Lx5Wx5H, and hold about .75 gal. Im just putting Cheato some rubble and sand in it. I want it to use it as a haven for my copepods.

I know that cheato does the best out of a great amount of lighting.

I have a few questions..

It will be hang on the back, so it will be somewhat visible to my a350w tuna blue and will definitively get lit by that a bit, i have that on for 8 hours. Do i need to supplement more light?

I also bought a 3w 8 inch light that i can suction cup to the side of the HOB refugium that wouldnt interfere with the kessil. That i can have for an extended 7 hour period. 3.5 before the kessil and 3.5 after the kessil so the back side would be getting about 8 hours of really good light then 7 hours of lower light.

Do i need more lighting for my refugium, if so, which light should i get? its a very small refugium and its HOB.

the refugium: https://www.bigalspets.com/marina-ha....html?sku=1888

Kilich is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/18/2018, 02:35 PM   #2
Kilich
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kilich View Post
Im converting a HOB Marina breeder tank into a refugium. they are roughly 10Lx5Wx5H, and hold about .75 gal. Im just putting Cheato some rubble and sand in it. I want it to use it as a haven for my copepods.

I know that cheato does the best out of a great amount of lighting.

I have a few questions..

It will be hang on the back, so it will be somewhat visible to my a350w tuna blue and will definitively get lit by that a bit, i have that on for 8 hours. Do i need to supplement more light?

I also bought a 3w 8 inch light that i can suction cup to the side of the HOB refugium that wouldnt interfere with the kessil. That i can have for an extended 7 hour period. 3.5 before the kessil and 3.5 after the kessil so the back side would be getting about 8 hours of really good light then 7 hours of lower light.

Do i need more lighting for my refugium, if so, which light should i get? its a very small refugium and its HOB.

the refugium: https://www.bigalspets.com/marina-ha....html?sku=1888

I think i will be fine with this setup, im probably just overthinking it.

Kilich is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/18/2018, 04:23 PM   #3
mcgyvr
Registered Member

Macros usually dont need much light...but only you know how much spillover you get from the kessil into the other tank...try it and adapt as needed.

Unread 07/18/2018, 05:11 PM   #4
Bpb
Registered Member

Truthfully, I think filling it with some well rinsed marine pure spheres would be more beneficial, but if you really want the macro algae I can’t convince you otherwise. I’d say go with what you have and get a stronger light if you find it to be ineffective as is

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Bpb is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/18/2018, 05:41 PM   #5
thegrun
Registered Member

I suspect that you would need more light if you want to get much chaeto growth. It will likely survive with just your current light, but since the refugium will be outside the more intense inner ring, I doubt you will get a lot of growth.

thegrun is offline   Reply With Quote