Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Sponsor Forums > Marine Depot
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 12/26/2013, 12:59 PM   #1
MarineDepot
Sponsor

Question AI Hydra vs. Hydra FiftyTwo

Joe from our tech team runs 3 AI Hydra LED lights over his reef. So who better to try out Aqua Illumination's latest innovation, the Hydra FiftyTwo?

Find out what makes the FiftyTwo so special in Joe's review — Aqua Illumination Hydra FifityTwo: That's a LOT of light!

Read Aqua Illumination Hydra FifityTwo: That's a LOT of light!

MarineDepot is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/22/2014, 03:53 PM   #2
VJV
Registered Member

Hi,

I just ordered a 300l (75g) tank. It is a German EHEIM INCPIRIA marine measuring 100x50x55cm (roughly 40x20x22 inch).

I'm thinking about upgrading the light and the hydras seem like good option but have the following questions:

1 - for such a tank would you recommend two Hydras or one Hydra 52 would be enough.

2 - if I go for one Hydra 52, how can I place it parallel to the front of the tank. I would like to avoid bolting a EXT rail to the side of the tank for aesthetic reasons. It would be ideal if I could bolt it to an EXT rail perpendicularly, and bolt the rail to the back of the aquarium. Though I do not think there is a way to do that.

Thanks

Kind regards

VJV is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/22/2014, 07:05 PM   #3
MarineDepot
Sponsor

For a 40" long aquarium, we would recommend two of the standard Hydra's for a more-even coverage.

A single Hydra 52 would need to be mounted parallel to the front of the aquarium and will leave the two ends of the aquarium darker.

Unread 01/23/2014, 02:27 AM   #4
VJV
Registered Member

Thanks!

Unread 01/23/2014, 12:39 PM   #5
moondoggy4
Registered Member

Can these lights be controlled by a 3 rd party controller I have one that can handle 8 separate channels I would like to use it on a Led light, I have a 120 tank 4x2x2 with all softies and acans, mostly fish only with eye candy.

moondoggy4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/23/2014, 01:23 PM   #6
MarineDepot
Sponsor

AI Hydra vs. Hydra FiftyTwo

Quote:
Originally Posted by moondoggy4 View Post
Can these lights be controlled by a 3 rd party controller I have one that can handle 8 separate channels I would like to use it on a Led light, I have a 120 tank 4x2x2 with all softies and acans, mostly fish only with eye candy.
I just confirmed with AquaIllumination directly.

Hydra modules are only controllable via wireless so none of the ALC or 0-10v type devices will work. The only compatible devices with the wireless lights (Hydra, Hydra Fiftytwo, Vega) are:

• AI Director
• AI New Controller
• Neptune Systems Apex with AWM (AI Wireless Module)

Unread 01/23/2014, 01:44 PM   #7
moondoggy4
Registered Member

Thanks since I have three controller lucky one is a Apex so it will work thanks.

moondoggy4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/27/2014, 02:26 AM   #8
VJV
Registered Member

Hi,

Regardless of coverage, how close to the water can the Hydras sit? I would like to keep them hidden inside the edge of the tank so I guess that could mean they would be 1-2 inches above water line. Would this create potential electronic damage or corrosion?

Kind regards

Vasco

Unread 01/27/2014, 12:36 PM   #9
MarineDepot
Sponsor

Question Hydra Height?

Quote:
Originally Posted by VJV View Post
Hi,

Regardless of coverage, how close to the water can the Hydras sit? I would like to keep them hidden inside the edge of the tank so I guess that could mean they would be 1-2 inches above water line. Would this create potential electronic damage or corrosion?

Kind regards

Vasco
We actually reached out to AI directly to field your question. Here is what they told us:

There will certainly be an increased risk of potential electronic damage due to the distance. Fish splashes, humidity, salt creep from bubbles popping at the surface etc will all be a higher risk of causing problems with that distance. There is no way to know how much this will effect the light because every tank is going to be different, if somehow he created an environment with very little humidity and salt creep (impossible?) then it should be fine.

The light generally do fine with splashing, but if you get enough humidity and salt in the air you can end up with problems.

Sorry for the vague answer, there is no cut and dry response to this.

Unread 01/27/2014, 03:41 PM   #10
VJV
Registered Member

Thank you very much for the quick reply. I believe the bottom line is that it is not recommended and will most likely lead to problems.

Thanks again.

Kind regards.

Unread 01/27/2014, 03:45 PM   #11
MarineDepot
Sponsor

Thumbs up

Quote:
Thank you very much for the quick reply. I believe the bottom line is that it is not recommended and will most likely lead to problems.

Thanks again.

Kind regards.
You're very welcome. We always enjoy talking tank, so hit us up anytime you have a question. If we don't know the answer, we'll find it out for you.

Unread 02/18/2014, 02:31 AM   #12
VJV
Registered Member

Hi, back on the subject of lighting. Would you say that the pro version of the new Gen3 radion xr30w with the 120 degrees wide optics would be enough to light the entire tank? Just as a reminder, the tank measures 100x55x55cm, or some 42x22x22 inches.

Thank you very much

Unread 02/18/2014, 10:20 AM   #13
MarineDepot
Sponsor

AI Hydra vs. Hydra FiftyTwo

Quote:
Hi, back on the subject of lighting. Would you say that the pro version of the new Gen3 radion xr30w with the 120 degrees wide optics would be enough to light the entire tank? Just as a reminder, the tank measures 100x55x55cm, or some 42x22x22 inches.

Thank you very much
For a tank that is 42" long, you would still need two of the Gen3 Radion XR30w Pro in order to get complete coverage. With only one fixture, you would end up with shadows and dark spots in the aquarium.

Unread 02/18/2014, 03:50 PM   #14
VJV
Registered Member

Thanks!

Unread 03/03/2014, 07:58 PM   #15
Knishfish
Registered Member

How many Hydra 52's would I need for a 7' x 2' x 2' SPS tank? In what configuration? i.e. ( - - - ) or ( | | | ) How high off the surface do you recommend?

Knishfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/04/2014, 01:36 PM   #16
MarineDepot
Sponsor

Hi Knishfish,

3 fixtures should work very nicely for your aquarium. As for orientation, I personally prefer perpendicular ( I I I ) as it seems to reduce shadows. However, it does depend on on the amount of rock you have and how it is laid out. We would recommend going with the 72" Rail Kit along with the Hanging Kit so you can position the lights exactly where you want them. 10" - 12" above the water level should work nicely for hanging.

Unread 03/04/2014, 04:00 PM   #17
Knishfish
Registered Member

Much appreciated - thanks for the response.

I'm also planning on going for the Apex. Are there any other components you would recommend, either from the Apex side or the AI side?

Knishfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/04/2014, 05:08 PM   #18
MarineDepot
Sponsor

The AXM module with work great with the Apex and the Hydra Fifty Two. Those along with the lights, rail kit and hanging kit should be everything you need: and a VERY nice set up at that

Unread 03/05/2014, 03:08 PM   #19
swclown
Registered Member

I just ordered a 96" x 24" x 25" new tank. I'm planning on ordering Hydra 52s. The tank will be a mix of SPS and soft but it will be a while before I have the amount of SPS that would require a lot of light.
I'm know 4 would be ideal but would 3 suffice? with the option of adding another?

swclown is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/05/2014, 03:20 PM   #20
MarineDepot
Sponsor

it sounds like a very nice tank you have on order! I'm sure the fish will appreciate the 8' swimming room.

Starting out with 3 would definitely be fine. There will be some areas that will be a little darker, but you can easily get around that by placing soft corals in those areas. You can also elevate the light a little higher to get a broader coverage (may around 15"), then lower the light back down to about 10" once you get the fourth fixture.

Unread 03/07/2014, 10:23 AM   #21
swclown
Registered Member

Thank you. I'm very excited about the new tank!!

I'm probably going to order the lights today from MD but I'm a little upset with you guys. I've done a LOT of business with you guys for the past 10-15 years. You guys used to send me a free t shirt with large orders but I haven't seen one in years!! I want my freakin t-shirt!! and a coffe mug and a new Vortech PH

( :

Unread 03/07/2014, 11:44 AM   #22
MarineDepot
Sponsor

Question Free T-Shirt Offer

Quote:
Originally Posted by swclown View Post
Thank you. I'm very excited about the new tank!!

I'm probably going to order the lights today from MD but I'm a little upset with you guys. I've done a LOT of business with you guys for the past 10-15 years. You guys used to send me a free t shirt with large orders but I haven't seen one in years!! I want my freakin t-shirt!! and a coffe mug and a new Vortech PH

( :
Let me know your shirt size along with a recent order # (or email address—can be by PM)... just need some way to look up your account. I'll get one out ASAP so you can look like a fine, upstanding reefer once again!

We're sort of in a transitional period between our old site and our new site; we used to have a banner prompt you to select your shirt size when your cart contents are over $250. I thought this was still in play on the old site, but I tested it a moment ago and can see that it's not in action.

Most importantly: THANK YOU FOR YOUR PATRONAGE ALL THESE YEARS!

Next time you place an order over $250, just include your shirt size in the order notes and we'll send you our latest print. We've already got a couple designs we're considering for when the Some Assembly Required prints run out!

Jeff @ MD

Unread 03/07/2014, 12:29 PM   #23
swclown
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarineDepot View Post
Let me know your shirt size along with a recent order # (or email address—can be by PM)... just need some way to look up your account. I'll get one out ASAP so you can look like a fine, upstanding reefer once again!

We're sort of in a transitional period between our old site and our new site; we used to have a banner prompt you to select your shirt size when your cart contents are over $250. I thought this was still in play on the old site, but I tested it a moment ago and can see that it's not in action.

Most importantly: THANK YOU FOR YOUR PATRONAGE ALL THESE YEARS!

Next time you place an order over $250, just include your shirt size in the order notes and we'll send you our latest print. We've already got a couple designs we're considering for when the Some Assembly Required prints run out!

Jeff @ MD
thanks!! I'm good now though. I ordered the lights today from Dan and he is sending a shirt ( : I'm still going to need to order one more light, ext rails, and a hanging kit so stay tuned!! thanks for your help!! ( :

Unread 03/07/2014, 12:33 PM   #24
MarineDepot
Sponsor

Talking The Fish Whisperer

Quote:
Originally Posted by swclown View Post
thanks!! I'm good now though. I ordered the lights today from Dan and he is sending a shirt ( : I'm still going to need to order one more light, ext rails, and a hanging kit so stay tuned!! thanks for your help!! ( :
Dan the Man aka The Fish Whisperer? He's one of our most knowledgeable staffers! Glad to hear he got you squared away.

Unread 04/26/2014, 10:49 AM   #25
Curtispants
Registered Member

I have a quick question...

I'm planning a 24"X24"x20X tank that is 50 gallons. I was looking around RC and saw people suggest the AI LED lighting but there are two options, a 52 and a hydra. For a 24" tank that is only 20" tall, could either do the job? I plan on having an sps piece or two, maybe a clam...I want to be able to house anything I want pretty much. I don't want my light to limit what I can keep. That said, I'm confused about how I'd mount them. I only want one fixture and I want it to sit horizontal to the front of the tank. I'm also contemplating the Apex with the module that will control the fixture. The module will control either of these fixtures correct?

Thank you in advance for all of my pita questions!

Curtispants is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ai hydra, aqua illumination, fiftytwo, hydra fiftytwo, marine depot