Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 05/30/2016, 10:55 AM   #1501
reefmutt
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myka View Post
That Jaw Dropper is sweet!!! The growth pattern is fan-FREAKING-tastic! I like yours better than the Photoshopped Google Image versions.
Hey Mindy, yeah, it's a very cool coral. My larger colony is getting more and more interesting. I'll take some shots of it soon.
The growth form is very cool.
Under blue plus bulbs only, the red gets very intense and when the blue polyps are out, it's stunning. I guess if you shot it under blue bulbs and blew the saturation right through the roof, it would look like the google images.
I might give it a try..
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhucasey View Post
Dear lord... I hope naked tank maintenance and peering neighbors didn't ever happen at the same time
Well, Matt, I'll just say, it wasn't me getting arrested!

Current Tank Info: 53x32.5x26 190g dt 60g of sumps 3 tank-100 gal frag system 6xAI prime 8xt5. 4x maxspect gyre. Skimz Dual internal sicce pump skimmer Deltec PF601s ca rx+Kalk stirrer
reefmutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/30/2016, 03:32 PM   #1502
nemodan
Registered Member

......Thanks, Daniel. I appreciate you looking in and I sincerely hope your tank turns around soon! As they say here in French Canada, 'lache pas!!' Don't give up!!.......

Matt..... I did not give it up yet. If I got it once, why not twice. It will be just depressing to continually updated my thread with dead coral. Today I lost one of my SSC small colonies.

Sooner , at least for my records and memories I will have to write something in my thread.

Positive : still some of the old colonies are fighting and doing well. Not all is lost.

Best !!!
Daniel

nemodan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/30/2016, 06:15 PM   #1503
Wrangy
Acrotrooper

Quote:
Originally Posted by reefmutt View Post
Dom, wow, you are way too kind! I feel like the tank is just a jumble of little bits and some of them are nice. Recently, I seem to be walking away from the tank in frustration.. I usually feel better offer a good top down viewing but I still feel like there isn't any flow to the tank.. I guess that's really my fault as I keep adding tiny little pieces.. As the corals truly grow out and I become more and more restricted in terms of new additions, I'll probably be more at ease.. It's a slow puzzle.. Like a game of Tetris........
I can understand where you're coming from but at the same time the way it all sits and mixes really draws your eye all around the tank Once they start to really crowd you might need to work some puzzle magic haha but for the moment it just looks amazing! Seriously stunning

Courtesy of Nils:
"you are welcome to your nem / flub tank because we need people like you to balance the sick ( sick in the head SPS OCD ) speaking for myself here!!"
Wrangy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/30/2016, 10:11 PM   #1504
Pife
Registered Member

My tank is in the basement and I still have neighbors asking about my weird glow after 7 years. They will be shocked when my living room starts glowing in the next month or so.

I'm not saying let's get rid of all the stupid people.* I'm just saying let's remove all the warning labels and let the problem work itself out.

Current Tank Info: 150g DT plumbed to an 80g frag tank and 220g sump in the basement. ~6-MP40s ~ 12 ATI powered t5s ~ Reefbrites and Radions supplementing ~ Custom GEO Skimmer ~ GEO CA Reactor 6x24~ Iwaki 70 Return ~
Pife is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/02/2016, 05:39 PM   #1505
reefmutt
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nemodan View Post
......Thanks, Daniel. I appreciate you looking in and I sincerely hope your tank turns around soon! As they say here in French Canada, 'lache pas!!' Don't give up!!.......

Matt..... I did not give it up yet. If I got it once, why not twice. It will be just depressing to continually updated my thread with dead coral. Today I lost one of my SSC small colonies.

Sooner , at least for my records and memories I will have to write something in my thread.

Positive : still some of the old colonies are fighting and doing well. Not all is lost.

Best !!!
Daniel
I'm happy to hear some things are doing ok. Is it mostly the older stuff struggling, or are newer pieces struggling as well?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wrangy View Post
I can understand where you're coming from but at the same time the way it all sits and mixes really draws your eye all around the tank Once they start to really crowd you might need to work some puzzle magic haha but for the moment it just looks amazing! Seriously stunning
Thanks, Dom. I appreciate it! I do always try to fill a colour void. If there is an area that has blue and green, for example, I always try to a red in the middle.. Doesn't always work out..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pife View Post
My tank is in the basement and I still have neighbors asking about my weird glow after 7 years. They will be shocked when my living room starts glowing in the next month or so.
Looking forward to your dt finally going up, Brandon! Any blue glow is a good glow..

So I figured I'd relay two bits of info..
One, I decided to add some true actinics back to my bulb combo. I haven't used actinics in a while but I really do like the look for dawn/dusk. It's much more mellow than blue+.. I'm now using 2 actinics for dawn/dusk, then two blue plus and two coral plus, then MH..
Actinics- 8:30a - 10:30p
Blue+/coral+ - 10:30a-9:30
Mh- 11a-7p
Leds are on from 7a-11p but only get to around 40% when the mh are on..
Still a fairly long photoperiod, I know but shorter than it used to be. And my mh are only 150w..
And two: since things have been so stable chemistry wise, I decided to start dosing some Micro E and Koralcolor.
I have started with 6 drops Micro E (half daily dose) and .8 ml Koralcolor (1/3 daily dose) each day..
The only overlap in these products is the manganese.. Tough to test that..
I also have a Triton test kit. I'm going to take a sample now and then again in a couple months of dosing..
We shall see if the new dosing makes any difference...
And just for full info disclosure. I have been dosing AF flourine (6drops a day) and Lugol's (2drops a day) for a few months now. I'd say I saw a bit of blue development on a couple corals but it wasn't dramatic.. I will continue at the same dose..
So, some random shots:
I think I posted this exact same shot a few weeks ago but this is a new one.

This guy has really grown. You can see below the new growth, the original frag. It's much darker..

Haven't posted this guy in a while..

The twins don't completely get along while encrusting..

Nice contrast or complement, I guess.

Wider shot..

Current Tank Info: 53x32.5x26 190g dt 60g of sumps 3 tank-100 gal frag system 6xAI prime 8xt5. 4x maxspect gyre. Skimz Dual internal sicce pump skimmer Deltec PF601s ca rx+Kalk stirrer
Unread 06/02/2016, 06:13 PM   #1506
markalot

Gaaaaaaaaawwwwwwwwsssssssshhhhhhhh. I love every acro in there ... and that bubble algae, obviously the secret ingredient!

Unread 06/02/2016, 06:19 PM   #1507
reefmutt
Registered Member

shhhhhh! Mark, don't tell anybody about the bubble algae!!
Everybody will want it..

Unread 06/02/2016, 06:21 PM   #1508
watchguy123
Registered Member

Phenomenal colors, whats the top left on the 2nd to last picture. Incredible

watchguy123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/02/2016, 06:34 PM   #1509
reefmutt
Registered Member

Thanks!
It's a no name.. Well, it's a wild frag that came from raging reef here in Montreal..
I've been calling it Furiosa..
I have a second piece under less light, off to the side..

I might like it better under less light..

Unread 06/02/2016, 07:17 PM   #1510
Ostri
Registered Member

Very nice tank! Love the colonies! The frags seem to make the DT abit busy.

Ostri is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/02/2016, 07:21 PM   #1511
reefmutt
Registered Member

Thanks. Agreed. But my addiction doesn't allow me to stop adding new frags!
The colonies were pretty much all originally frags..

Unread 06/02/2016, 09:10 PM   #1512
drawman
Registered Member

Furiosa is nice Matt! Beautiful colors all around.

Current tanks:
30 gallon rimless, G2 radion, Vertex 130, MP10w
60 gallon rimless, G3 radion, Vertex 130, MP40QD
drawman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/03/2016, 02:26 AM   #1513
FloformAustria
Registered Member

wow Furiosa is a nice piece!! congrats!!

Cheers, Flo

^Austrian Reef Club^

"Founding Member of CCC - The cool couch club of SPS keeping" - Biggles

Current Tank Info: The Austrian Dropoff Tank
FloformAustria is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/03/2016, 02:06 PM   #1514
glaukos
Registered Member

Well i dedicate my friday's hate jealousy/hatred feelings to you matt...those pics won it for you buddy
Even those green bubbles can't shake it off

Awesome

Unread 06/03/2016, 02:31 PM   #1515
reefmutt
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by drawman View Post
Furiosa is nice Matt! Beautiful colors all around.
Thanks, Tim!
Quote:
Originally Posted by FloformAustria View Post
wow Furiosa is a nice piece!! congrats!!

Cheers, Flo
Thanks, Flo

Quote:
Originally Posted by glaukos View Post
Well i dedicate my friday's hate jealousy/hatred feelings to you matt...those pics won it for you buddy
Even those green bubbles can't shake it off

Awesome
Well, Mike, anytime you need to get a hate on, I'm happy to oblige!
Yes, I'm very proud of my bubbles........
Thanks!

Here's my little ice fire.. Forgot to post it.
this is the first ice fire type coral that I have ever owned that has actually grown. The arm growing off the upper side of the coral is new growth. I'm very excited!!

Unread 06/03/2016, 02:33 PM   #1516
FloformAustria
Registered Member

Nice ice fire Matt!! Colors are looking great as always!!
Echinata are so delicate congrats

Cheers,
Flo

^Austrian Reef Club^

"Founding Member of CCC - The cool couch club of SPS keeping" - Biggles

Current Tank Info: The Austrian Dropoff Tank
FloformAustria is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/03/2016, 03:14 PM   #1517
plyle02
Registered Member

Matt that ice/fire echi is sick buddy!!! All your corals are so colorful man, awesome pics as always my man

"Anger is like drinking poison and expecting the other person to die" ~Buddha~

Current Tank Info: 50 Gallon AIO Cube, Aquamaxx WS-1 Skimmer, LED/ Hybrid 4x24 watt t5
plyle02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/03/2016, 03:34 PM   #1518
reefmutt
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FloformAustria View Post
Nice ice fire Matt!! Colors are looking great as always!!
Echinata are so delicate congrats

Cheers,
Flo
Quote:
Originally Posted by plyle02 View Post
Matt that ice/fire echi is sick buddy!!! All your corals are so colorful man, awesome pics as always my man
Thanks, guys!
It's a coral that I've never really been able to keep.. And one of my favorites..
Hopefully this will change...
The not being able to keep part..

Unread 06/03/2016, 03:36 PM   #1519
plyle02
Registered Member

Quote:
Thanks, guys!
It's a coral that I've never really been able to keep.. And one of my favorites..
Hopefully this will change...
The not being able to keep part..
I lost my piece too, I find it to be as sketchy as the Hawkins, just does not like change too much I could never really keep the Hawkins happy either, but got lucky with my colony, it is becoming a beast, lol.... Great stuff Matt!

"Anger is like drinking poison and expecting the other person to die" ~Buddha~

Current Tank Info: 50 Gallon AIO Cube, Aquamaxx WS-1 Skimmer, LED/ Hybrid 4x24 watt t5
plyle02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/03/2016, 10:56 PM   #1520
vinhle00
Registered Member

Hey Matt i also have blue Led and true actinics for dawn dusk and love it so much. Would love to see some pics of your tank with just those on in the future.

vinhle00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/04/2016, 06:46 AM   #1521
markalot

My Hawkins is doing well but I got an icefire frag, this was after the tank was improving, and it died in dramatic fashion after 2 weeks. Hopefully yours does well.

Unread 06/04/2016, 09:59 AM   #1522
reefmutt
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by plyle02 View Post
I lost my piece too, I find it to be as sketchy as the Hawkins, just does not like change too much I could never really keep the Hawkins happy either, but got lucky with my colony, it is becoming a beast, lol.... Great stuff Matt!
Quote:
Originally Posted by markalot View Post
My Hawkins is doing well but I got an icefire frag, this was after the tank was improving, and it died in dramatic fashion after 2 weeks. Hopefully yours does well.
Thanks, guys! My experience is that it is even less hearty than the Hawkins.
There seem to be a few varieties of ice fire echinata.. All seem very finicky..

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinhle00 View Post
Hey Matt i also have blue Led and true actinics for dawn dusk and love it so much. Would love to see some pics of your tank with just those on in the future.
I think I can accommodate that request. I find it very difficult to get satisfying photos with only that light but I'll see what I can do..

Unread 06/04/2016, 11:08 AM   #1523
glaukos
Registered Member

cool echi matt!Wish i could keep them alive too
Who do you think will win if they reach each other,echi or the green on the right?
I see you made some cuts already

Unread 06/11/2016, 03:08 PM   #1524
joshky
Acros & Wrasses

Quote:
shhhhhh! Mark, don't tell anybody about the bubble algae!!
Everybody will want it..
LOL tank looks great man! I don't mind a little algae in a tank, but I realize I'm probably a minority in thinking this.

My 80g: http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2677031
joshky is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/11/2016, 07:13 PM   #1525
SkullV
They Got My Number

Love the Ice Fire. If you want another one Divers Den has a "DFS Real Deal" in the aquaculture section right now. Love this tank, keep up the good work!

Be cautious of those willing to share their "knowledge" but not their results.
SkullV is offline   Reply With Quote