Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Special Interest Group (SIG) Forums > Photography
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 02/22/2018, 03:46 PM   #1
Jsilverman18
Registered Member

Anyone have the Sony A7RIII

Wondering if anyone has this camera and what their thoughts are on it for aquarium usage? Also what lenses are you using

Jsilverman18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/05/2018, 11:26 AM   #2
watchguy123
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jsilverman18 View Post
Wondering if anyone has this camera and what their thoughts are on it for aquarium usage? Also what lenses are you using
I recently purchased the camera and for aquarium photography I’ve used the Sony 50 mm 2.8 macro and 90 mm 2.8 macro lenses. Both are Sony G lenses and made for their full frame mirrorless cameras. The equipment (camera and lenses) is rock solid, easy to use and makes picture taking easier. I bought it hoping that great equipment would result in great photography. What I’ve learned so far is what one would or should expect, great photographers take great photos. Me, I’m an amateur and still struggle.

Both the camera and the lenses allow for incredibly sharp pictures. Camera handles low light really well. Autofocus even without manual adjusting is pretty amazing even in macro. The ability to crop to absurd levels is crazy.

The difficulties of aquarium photography remain, extreme kelvins make accurate color rendition still challenging. I need lots more Lightroom tutoring to zero in on what I would like the final product to look like. The camera allows one to get a custom white balance but the kelvin adjustment is only to 9900 Kelvin maximum. There is an underwater AWB but still challenging. Adjusting for metal halides is easier but once blue leds are utilized, I find I need an orange filter to color compensate. The problem with orange filters is two fold, 1) not all colors are correct so it’s choosing the best post processing adjustments but with my skill levels there remains significant compromise and 2) I haven’t found a perfect way to use a gel filter with a top down tube that doesn’t negatively impact focus to some extent. I’ve tried using an 82 and 82 b glass filter but color rendition is still compromised. None of the above is a criticism of the camera, really just my personal limitations and frustrations with color filtering and post processing.

Current Tank Info: 180 Bowfront, 30 gallon sump, 20 gallon refugium, reeflo dart/snapper hybrid pump, 2 x 6105 Tunze ,Tunze ATO, dual chamber CA reactor, 3 x250 metal halides with 2x t5 actinic supplement, Reefbrite Blue XHO's dawn/dusk
watchguy123 is offline   Reply With Quote