Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Special Interest Group (SIG) Forums > Nano Reefs
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 04/15/2015, 02:26 PM   #1
rattlermike
Registered Member

Aquatop Paladarium 7g Build

I worked in the Utah LFS scene for many years and have always enjoyed aquariums. With my newest job working as a brands Rep for Central Aquatics I have only been able to have a 25g planted aquarium for the last few years. Well after working an event in one of my favorite fish stores in Portland I had a vision of what I wanted to do for my next salt tank. I'm looking to do a nano paludarium. I'm basing it off this FW paludarium I'm obsessed with. this tank has been set up for a while but im looking to revamp it and would love any sufggestions you might have.

This is my insperation,its a Paladarium tank by Aquatop. Total water volume is roughly 7 gallons.

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

Using a -Zoomed Canister Filter/ Orbit Marine Lighting by Current/ Ehime surface Skimmer/ Karallia Nano/ Aqueon 25w Heater/ and Hydore ATO.

I secured the life rock with Gorilla Glue and Expandable Black foam.

[IMG][/IMG]

After it cured i then filled in the back with the foam. It expanded way way way more then i thought. I carved off as much excess as i felt was needed.

So i carved out more of the expanding foam and applied a 2 part epoxy to what i though was the all exposed foam. I also sprinkled some crushed coral on the epoxy and let it set.

[IMG][/IMG]

As i waited for my filter to arrive i filled it with fresh water and hooked it up to a maxi jet pump.i wanted to see how the water would flow down the rock face.

[IMG][/IMG]

after a few tweaks with some rubble placement i feel i am happy with the look.

[IMG][/IMG]

My filter from Zoomed and surface skimmer from Ehime arrived along with a mini Koralia. I got it all hooked up and am doing another freshwater test to insure i am happy with the noise level and water flow.

[IMG][/IMG]

Sand and salt water are in!!! I'm really happy with the outcome. I cant get the video to upload to photo bucket for some reason, it really shows how well the water movement is down the wall and into the tank.
Its evaporating a good amount of water as expected i will be adding a Hydor Smart level to it as soon as it shows up.

rattlermike is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/15/2015, 02:27 PM   #2
rattlermike
Registered Member

the new light and ATO unit have arrived and are installed. sure makes a big difference on how the tank looks and preforms.

I have added a ton of Nerite snails and Hermit crabs along with a sally lightfoot crab, Clown fish, Frogspawn, Mini Maxi Anemone, Green Nephthea Leather, Candy Cane, GSP, and a Chalice frag.

The Snails and crabs are working out perfectly going up and down the rock wall controlling the diatoms. i will be adding a few more choice corals and possibly 1 or 2 more small fish.

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

Hard to see but the snails and crabs are out of the water cleaning up.

[IMG][/IMG]

Im at a spot where i am really happy with the look and will just wait to see how it grows in. I decided to scrap the idea of any plants growing down the face of the waterfall as it just seems like it would be a pain to attach it and to find some hard good looking algae that will work. I will be starting my new tank this month its a 58g oceanic reef ready tank that i will be going all out on. Cabinetry by Driftwood sump by Elite and all the fancy equipment i can get my hands on. most likely a LPS dominated tank focusing on the high end corals and just a few nice fish.

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

suggestions are welcome

i am also starting my newest prodject and a build will be created for this tank also.

my old 65g with t-5 and basic equipment

[IMG][/IMG]

My new 65 will all latest high end equipment

rattlermike is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/16/2015, 11:36 AM   #3
ReefWreak
Registered Member

Very cool to see someone make a paludarium in salt water! I would have gone with a beach-type graded setup, but this is super cool as well. Actually reminds me of FL marinas, since they frequently have aquatic life right below their concrete or rock barrier.

Super cool, thanks for sharing!

ReefWreak is offline   Reply With Quote