Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 01/01/2018, 09:57 PM   #1
Wet Sleeve
Registered Member

Seachem Vibrant Sea Salt??

Anybody used this salt?

every time i mix this salt it gets a dusty residue on the bottom of the bucket and my SPS slime like crazy and send out sweepers.. i've recently had some Acro's bleaching however i'm not 100% sure my salt is to blame as of right now since i've been using the max dose of Polyp labs "Medic" to get rid of some Ich, While it did help with the Ich, it may of burnt some of my SPS.

Wet Sleeve is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/02/2018, 08:02 AM   #2
MondoBongo
Obligate Feeder Obsessed

i've been using vibrant for a few months now, haven't had any issues with it. certainly not any bleaching or coral irritation.

my guess would be an interaction with whatever is in that ich snake oil you're using. i read their site, the amount of grammer/spelling errors in their description for "medic" and their complete lack of identification or explanation of its ingredients raises some serious red flags for me.

i would stick with accepted treatment protocols for ich that we know work, and not waste money on magic juice.

"You don't use science to show that you're right, you use science to become right" - xkcd

Current Tank Info: A rectangular shaped money pit.
MondoBongo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/02/2018, 01:18 PM   #3
Wet Sleeve
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MondoBongo View Post
i've been using vibrant for a few months now, haven't had any issues with it. certainly not any bleaching or coral irritation.

my guess would be an interaction with whatever is in that ich snake oil you're using. i read their site, the amount of grammer/spelling errors in their description for "medic" and their complete lack of identification or explanation of its ingredients raises some serious red flags for me.

i would stick with accepted treatment protocols for ich that we know work, and not waste money on magic juice.
I'm quite positive it was the Medic that burnt some SPS, however i needed a "reef" safe medication for my purple tang...in a pinch i decided to gamble on this 50$ bottle of Medic.. it works, and probably would not bother LPS but i don't think its suitable for more sensitive corals.

Unread 01/02/2018, 05:45 PM   #4
Uncle99
Crab Free Zone

Been using Vibrant for 8 months now......very happy so far.....needs a good mixing with a powerhead.....but the price is good

Uncle99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/02/2018, 05:51 PM   #5
Wet Sleeve
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle99 View Post
Been using Vibrant for 8 months now......very happy so far.....needs a good mixing with a powerhead.....but the price is good
What do you mix your water to? i aim for 1.025-1.026 however Seachem claims this salt is best at 1.023.

Unread 01/03/2018, 07:54 AM   #6
MondoBongo
Obligate Feeder Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wet Sleeve View Post
I'm quite positive it was the Medic that burnt some SPS, however i needed a "reef" safe medication for my purple tang...in a pinch i decided to gamble on this 50$ bottle of Medic.. it works, and probably would not bother LPS but i don't think its suitable for more sensitive corals.
there's no such thing as a reef safe ich cure. i would suggest you use established treatment protocols to rid your system(s). due the life cycle of ich it will appear to resolve itself sometimes, but will come back. it usually appears to have vanished when the ich protozoa fall off the fish and enter their encysted phase.

tank transfer, cp, copper, hypo, these are all effective treatments for the parasite. none of them are reef safe.

"You don't use science to show that you're right, you use science to become right" - xkcd

Current Tank Info: A rectangular shaped money pit.
MondoBongo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/03/2018, 09:13 AM   #7
Uncle99
Crab Free Zone

I mix always to 1.026, that is what I keep my reef at because I have corals.
1.023 is to low for the respiration and calcification process.
1.023 is for fish only tanks.

Uncle99 is offline   Reply With Quote