Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Special Interest Group (SIG) Forums > Large Reef Tanks
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 08/21/2009, 10:02 AM   #101
aquainas
Registered Member

Update

Here are pics of the center braces removed and my bracing ready to be installed:

The long piece that runs along the front inside edge of the tank is not in the pic because I was in the process of grinding down an edge to make it fit perfectly. The wide peices taped together are for my sump.

Current Tank Info: In-wall 240 Main display|MSX300|MP40W's|Radiums|Ecoxotic|Apex|Constant water change via LiterMeter III R.I.P
aquainas is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/21/2009, 10:22 AM   #102
aquainas
Registered Member

More pics

Here is the drywall progression as of last night, we began framing the other side last night around 7pm but stopped about an hour later due to my consideration for my neighbors. I must say they are all very tolerant of my racket but I'd rather not push my luck

Current Tank Info: In-wall 240 Main display|MSX300|MP40W's|Radiums|Ecoxotic|Apex|Constant water change via LiterMeter III R.I.P
Unread 08/21/2009, 11:35 AM   #103
aquainas
Registered Member

Frag pics

Here are some pics of the frags in the nano that I picked up for Kel a few weeks ago:

http://carfonicsonline.com/shane/Images/100_6081.jpg

Her Christmas present is going to be a nice DSLR camera since I've already got mine

Unread 08/21/2009, 01:47 PM   #104
reefcrazydude
Registered Member

RPE look very nice

reefcrazydude is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/21/2009, 03:07 PM   #105
aquainas
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by reefcrazydude
RPE look very nice
Thank you!

Unread 08/21/2009, 03:19 PM   #106
NaClH20NMYVEIN
Red Dragons!

Coming along very nicely!

Current Tank Info: Pacific Ocean
NaClH20NMYVEIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/21/2009, 03:58 PM   #107
aquainas
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by NaClH20NMYVEIN
Coming along very nicely!
Thank you! I'm looking forward to after Labor day when you get your in-wall going again. I hope you've got all the logistics figured out.

Unread 08/22/2009, 03:07 AM   #108
byrdman81
Registered Member

looking good.

Current Tank Info: 20 long nano currently working on 40 Breeder
byrdman81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/22/2009, 11:37 PM   #109
aquainas
Registered Member

Update

Today we were able to knock stuff out including the rest of the framing, drywall, and building the doors. We plan on mudding the joints tomorrow building the second door and putting down 3 coats of Kilz on the stand and also the surrounding tank walls once they are ready.

On with the pics

Framing of the right side:

Inspecting the gap between my garage door track and the frame to make sure we got room for drywall. We ended up coming in 2" behind the track which made that area 2' deep and 5'wide, exactly what I wanted. The footprint is small but it is big enough to house my RO and SW reservoirs 35g each. Also you can see the opening designated for the ac unit in the above pic.

Framing complete now time for drywall

Where the ac will go

Unread 08/23/2009, 12:24 AM   #110
aquainas
Registered Member

More pics!

Starting on the corners...This we'll finish tomorrow. I had to get to building one of the two doors that will span the length of the opening...

Now it's really easy to see the layout after all my babbling!!!!
The opening on the right is for an interior door that will give access to the area to the right of the tank.

Another angle...here you can see the opening for the ac unit.

Kel and I finished up a few things after my buddy Dan left, including building one of the doors and test fitting the ac. We didn't take any pics of it in it's final resting place but trust me it fits like a glove

A pic of the door we put together with it's 1x2 frame and a styrofoam sheet along with a cellulose type insulation at the core...Rigid but very light! Sorry no pics as we put this together because we were pressed for time. Will try to get shots of the other one we're putting together tomorrow.

These doors will hang from bypass track mounted to the ceiling and will slide away from each other for access to the tank. The door on the right will only be open when the garage door is closed because it will run into the garage door, and I like that because it will ensure the garage isn't open while the back is exposed...well the right side at least!

I have a great way to seal up the cracks between and around the doors and still allow them to be mobile, I know it'll work I know it won't be a 100% but it doesn't need to be.

Time for bed...

Last edited by aquainas; 08/23/2009 at 01:02 AM.
Unread 08/23/2009, 06:11 AM   #111
strout
Registered Member

Looks like you have plenty of good help, can't beat that.

strout is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/23/2009, 06:59 AM   #112
aquainas
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by strout
Looks like you have plenty of good help, can't beat that.
No I can't.....and I'm very thankful for all the help I recieved so far on this project

Unread 08/23/2009, 09:15 AM   #113
azsaltman
Registered Member

Did you plan on a condensate line for your window A/C ??

While it runs it will drip moisture from a given point.. Usually a corner.

Just a thought.. would hate to have that water on the floor

azsaltman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/23/2009, 10:43 AM   #114
aquainas
Registered Member

Yes I did, this unit has a built in condensate pan which may not ever get full enough to drip outside because we do not anticipate the unit running very much. If it does then we plan on plumbing a drain to it that will also carry my ro waste water.

Unread 08/23/2009, 11:47 AM   #115
Lightsluvr
Tangaroa to 500 gallons

Progress...

Love to see progress being made...

Getting antsy yet?

LL

Click on my username and select "Lightsluvr's Home Page" for a recap of our build thread - AGE Hybrid Tank in a 500G system with dedicated fish room. (Takes a few minutes for photos to load) Leave a note if you stop by...

Current Tank Info: 350G AGE Hybrid reef tank. 500G+ total water volume. Three sumps for filtration. Barracuda Gold return and Hammerhead Gold closed loop pumps. DIY T5 light system on rails. MP40W x3 to supplement closed loop. 130G Water management system.
Lightsluvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/23/2009, 02:39 PM   #116
Frick
AZ FRAG President

Quote:
Originally posted by reefcrazydude
RPE look very nice
Hmmm.. Those look familiar.

Looking good. When you first said you were putting a tank in the wall I didn't think it was going to be this complicated. Definatly getting some ideas if I ever get a house.

Are you still moving the tank this Sunday? Or next?

Frick is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/23/2009, 03:30 PM   #117
aquainas
Registered Member

Yea next Sunday will be tank move day. I decided to get the walls sanded and primer before bringing the tank out...I have to install the eurobrace still.

Unread 08/23/2009, 08:16 PM   #118
aquainas
Registered Member

Update

So today I completed the second door, the 1st coat of mud is on the corners and I've applied latex caulk to every joint applicable. I wanted to put down the first coat of Kilz tonight but I will wait till tomorrow. I will apply the second coat of mud tomorrow as well.

I hate this part of where you apply wait to dry and repeat three times...

Here is as pic before I began the caulking...

Unread 08/23/2009, 10:27 PM   #119
mmedley
Registered Member

will you actually use your garage afterwards or will it just be a fish cave?

mmedley is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/23/2009, 11:04 PM   #120
aquainas
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by mmedley
will you actually use your garage afterwards or will it just be a fish cave?
It's a two car garage so there's plenty of room for storage and tools and definitely a car as well

Unread 08/24/2009, 01:01 AM   #121
byrdman81
Registered Member

really love the progress so far. Keep up the good work.

Current Tank Info: 20 long nano currently working on 40 Breeder
byrdman81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/24/2009, 08:21 AM   #122
aquainas
Registered Member

Re: Progress...

Quote:
Originally posted by Lightsluvr
Love to see progress being made...

Getting antsy yet?

LL
Getting very antsy!!! I'm sitting here at work wishing I had some way to clone myself so I could go home to sand and put another coat of mud on the seams and corners

Unread 08/25/2009, 10:45 PM   #123
amore169
Registered Member

very nice.

Current Tank Info: 400 Gallon Starphire Rimless. 8 A360WE Kessils with controller. Sfiligoi Infinity DDE 6X250 light fixture. Bubble King Internal 300 Deluxe. 215 Gallon Oceanic Starphire Ultimate FOWRL. 34 Gallon Solana.
amore169 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/25/2009, 11:35 PM   #124
aquainas
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by amore169
very nice.
Thank you for the kind words...be sure to tag along!

Unread 08/26/2009, 12:18 AM   #125
aquainas
Registered Member

Update

So today after work I hit up the Depot to grab a couple extra 2x4's, molding and corner blocks, I needed to kick it into high gear because yesterday I did absolutely nothing....totally uh-heard of when it comes to me.

So I put the second coat of mud on the corners and seams after some sanding, I went with rounded corners instead of square to match what's in my house and it requires a lot of build-up to make them even with the wall. The plain metal bull-nose worked great but Ace Hardware ran out and I had to get some that were covered in some sort of paper and those are the ones that's taking a lot of mud to blend in. I also installed the cross-braces below the 3/4" plywood surface of the stand, the support braces for the two outer legs as well as the center brace and caulked everything.

Test fitted the 90g sump along with the skimmer and still have plenty of room under the stand and got a really good idea of the layout for all the equipment. My nephew's birthday is tomorrow so I don't think I'll get much done since we're heading over right after work to see him. I'd like to get the sanding and final coat of mud done at least, so Thursday I can do the final sanding install all the molding and primer the walls.

I need to order my rail kit for the light system tomorrow so I can have it here soon...totally slipped my mind and I have yet to install the euro-brace on the tank, that I'll do Thursday if not Friday, I've already test fitted all the pieces and all is well after some grinding....

We are getting our soft-water system installed on Thursday and the guys are hooking me up with a supply line on the soft side for FREE! How cool is that? I've decided to go with the Spectrapure MaxCap 90 that comes with dual TDS and DI and should have it mid next week so I can get it plumbed and ready to make water!