Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Do It Yourself
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 06/11/2009, 06:41 PM   #1
Monsta
Registered Member

Hydor Koralia nano pump (12V) & arduino

It apparently only works with koralia controller. Is it beacuse the specific uniqe connector shape or is there something else that limits it only to korallia controller? I was thinking to hook the 12v pump to arduino and program it.

Monsta is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/11/2009, 07:02 PM   #2
jerryz
Registered Member

It's 12V AC

Current Tank Info: 75 Gal Freshwater Discus Tank, 20G Nano, 125 Reef
jerryz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/11/2009, 07:28 PM   #3
Monsta
Registered Member

Yeah that AC or DC is another issue. Some people say its DC wile others are AC. Now , if they are 12VAC; would it be possible to controll them with a 12VAC dimmer used for low voltage halogen lighting?

Monsta is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/12/2009, 10:53 AM   #4
Fishboy93
Registered Member

I've heard its 24V AC square wave (someone ran it through an oscilloscope on here, i forget who). Therefore with an H-bridge and a 12V power supply you should be able to control them via the arduino. An AC square wave is different than the AC sine wave coming from the wall. If you Google "h bridge" and "AC square wave" you should be able to find all the information you need.

I think people are getting confused about whether is 12V DC or 24AC because it uses a 12V DC power supply into an H bridge to make a 24V AC wave at the pump.

Fishboy93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/12/2009, 10:57 PM   #5
uncleof6
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Monsta
Yeah that AC or DC is another issue. Some people say its DC wile others are AC. Now , if they are 12VAC; would it be possible to controll them with a 12VAC dimmer used for low voltage halogen lighting?
A lot of the confusion is with the words "Low Voltage", and naturally when you see 12v the first assumption would be 12VDC. Low voltage AC is up to 40VAC. It also makes sense that the koralias would be assumed to be DC because it is easier to control a DC motor, hence the special controllers for the Low voltage controllable motors. These pumps, are 12VAC.I believe Tunze is the only one making a DC pump of this type. I could be wrong.

The dimmer is designed for resistive loads, and will not function properly, if at all, on an inductive load such as an AC motor.

Regards,

Jim

Current Tank Info: 325 6' wide Reef
uncleof6 is offline   Reply With Quote