Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 07/25/2017, 07:49 PM   #1
Jeremy1988
Registered Member

Power goes out, how long do I have???

Hey guys and gals! Got a good question for you EXPERIENCED reefers! No offense to newbies.

Okay...so I have a 90 gallon I have had for a while...per the usual I bought a $400 3600KW generator to run the bad boy if power goes out. Like a responsible hardcore reefer I have a YouTube channel and even have a step by step Youtube video I made so that if the power ever does go out I can let my pet sitter watch it and even a dumb monkey can figure it out!

Question is this...while I have a back up battery pack for my pumps AND heater I wanted to know what you guys think of this. (by the way toss those eco tech battery packs folks...go buy you a computer back up battery pack, you can pay a tad bit extra, they come on automatically when the power goes out...they are bigger but LAST WAYYYY LONGER than the eco tech ones...thats just a money deal folks!)

Okay situational report. 90 gallon reef tank, 2 Sicce Voyagers 1200 GPH, 7 fish (scissortail dart, tanak pygmy wrasse, pink skunk clown, tomini tang, bi color chromis, blue assessor and swales basslet), power goes out at 6 PM, battery back up comes on for 6 hours, now its 12 AM, pet sitter comes over at 5 PM next day, fish are dead? Sand bed is also 2" at the deepest point as well meant to say that. Comments ready set go!

Jeremy1988 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/25/2017, 10:17 PM   #2
garbermatt
Registered Member

Yep.

garbermatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/26/2017, 02:01 PM   #3
thegrun
Registered Member

11 hours without water movement is a long time, even with a fairly light fish population. My guess is that you would likely have some fish die.

thegrun is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/26/2017, 05:55 PM   #4
Desert Sea
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by thegrun View Post
11 hours without water movement is a long time, even with a fairly light fish population. My guess is that you would likely have some fish die.
I had to read the hypothetical situation carefully but I think the tank is without power for 17 hours before the sitter gets there. Even more likely chance of die off.

Unless the generator is self starting and controlled by an auto transfer switch, it is only helpful if someone is around to plug in and start a portable unit.

Desert Sea is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/26/2017, 06:36 PM   #5
Breadman03
New Old School

I'd suggest an Apex with programming to detect power outage and shut down all non-essential gear. Drop it down to a single powerhead.

Remember, in a power outage, you're not necessarily worried about maintaining optimum operational levels, but just keeping life support running. A single powerhead can keep oxygen circulated enough. Who cares about some detritus settling out?

Breadman03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/27/2017, 06:59 AM   #6
ReefsandGeeks
Registered Member

Being that you already have a generator, having it setup to turn on automatically would be the best choice, but there are other cheaper and easier options for those with a smaller budget or who don't want something too complex. For like $20 or so you can buy a battery powered bubbler that will only turn on when power goes out. The battery on these lasts about 36 hours and will keep enough oxygen in a tank to avoid deaths. It woun't move water much, but is enough in case of emergencies. Of course, this means keeping an airstone hanging in the display tank and occasionaly running it to make sure the stone isn't clogged.

If this isn't a hypothetical question (couldn't tell from the wording) than there will be a good chance of fish loss, or possibly even some coral. The chances also depend on a few other factors like if you carbon dose or not. I do, and I had a power failure and started having fish deaths after just an hour and a half because carbon dosing eats up a lot of the oxygen in the water. That's why I now have a backup bubbler. I did put my bubbler inside of a piece of black PVC in the corner of the tank so it's not visible, but is still in contact with the water and works great when it does turn on.

By the way, a heater will eat through battery power like nobody's business. Unless you're house temp is significantly colder than the tank, you'd be better off not running the heater off of battery power so the battery will last longer with a power head or bubbler. If using a generator, than a heater is fine.

ReefsandGeeks is offline   Reply With Quote