Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Coral Forums > Zoanthids
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 05/04/2012, 07:51 AM   #1
TjwBlake
Registered Member

Something to ponder

Kind of going off the post yesterday about making new topics for discussion, I had a little thought.

Would it be possible, or has anyone ever tried "sculpting" zoa colonies? or would they just take over based on the stronger colony/species.

This is my thinking..
taking 2-3 colors/sizes of zoas and fragging and trimming them into a patern, say taking multple colors and working them into for example, a peace sign, or ying yang, or even simple paterns (just as simple ideas). By fragging off some heads here and there, transplanting them to another spot in the colony or trading them away etc could you work them into paterns and shapes?

They appear to be the perfect type of coral to do this with but I am just curious on some peoples thinking behind this. It could take the coral gardening to a whole new level!

Current Tank Info: JbJ Nanocube 28
TjwBlake is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/04/2012, 10:20 AM   #2
650-IS350
Registered Member

possible by the more stronger strain of Z's or P's will try to take over and out compete the others for space.

Just enjoying the box of water from afar
650-IS350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/04/2012, 02:14 PM   #3
TjwBlake
Registered Member

Could that not be handled by pruning and ongoing sculpting?

Unread 05/04/2012, 02:42 PM   #4
Friday Night
Registered Member

Right On Blake

Yea I have seen man made "combo rocks" before different types of zoas placed on one rock.
I agree with Charles above some zoas and Paly's have more aggressive growth patterns than others.

Friday Night is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/06/2012, 08:54 AM   #5
TjwBlake
Registered Member

Anyone come up with an idea of a way to overcome this?

Similar agression?
Feeding?

anything?

Unread 05/06/2012, 10:30 PM   #6
double_g2k
Registered Member

Hey fellow Canuck!

I think what you're asking about is really not possible, at least not on the terms you're thinking. As stated above stronger.more aggressive species will crowd out the more delicate ones. In theory you COULD maintain a peace sign shape, especially if you glued a bunch of marco rock together in that shape and seeded it with Z and P's, but you will have little control over what overpowers what. If you were dead serious on doing this, then I'd say doing so with one type of Z or P only, so pick well And post your efforts!

Current Tank Info: 34g Solana with 150w Sunpod, 30lbs LR, Assorted Zoas, softies, Frogspawn, acans, Duncans, Chalice, Brains, Monti Cap. 2 Clowns, 3x Red Firefish, 1 Clown Goby and 1 Sand Sifter.. Snails in the display, hermits in the sump
double_g2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/07/2012, 05:49 AM   #7
TjwBlake
Registered Member

Oh I have no plans to do this, with only 8gallons to work with it would be next to impossible for me I think. This was more of an attempt to get a little conversation going about something I was pondering one day.