Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Coral Forums > Zoanthids
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 12/03/2012, 02:59 PM   #1
Revmedia
Registered Member

Need some experienced eyes.

I got a rock recently covered in zoas, and I've noticed a couple things on it that I'm not sure of.

I've included two pictures. The first shows a soft spongy mat growing around (under) the zoas. Is this just dead material or is this something else? It's completely clear.

The second picture, shows very small polyps growing among the zoos. They are very small. For comparison, the Zoas are about 1/4in diameter. No idea what these are, they do react to touch, but slowly. They close up like a zoa polyp would. Have very short soft base stalks. There are a lot of them, but they don't seem to affect the zoas at all.

Thanks!

Revmedia is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/03/2012, 03:21 PM   #2
RogueAgent94
Registered Member

Not sure about your first question but the small polyps are Snowflake Polyps (Clavularia spp.).

Unread 12/03/2012, 03:22 PM   #3
RDHDDRAGON
Registered Member

Mat thing is probably just some type of sponge, not sure though, can't really see it well. Are there little Polyp things coming out of the mat?

The small blue flowers are clove polyps. Some love them, some hate them. If they are happy they will take off and go crazy!

Current Tank Info: 10g, 29g, 29g, 55g, 155g bow reef,120g FOWLR Agressive, 125g discus, 220g reef
RDHDDRAGON is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/03/2012, 03:43 PM   #4
Revmedia
Registered Member

You guys are great. Thanks for the quick answers. The small polyps are actually white in person, not blue. Still say clove polyps?

I just noticed in the lower portion of the second picture above, there are some white spots on a couple polyps. Does that look normal?

Revmedia is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/03/2012, 04:58 PM   #5
RDHDDRAGON
Registered Member

Snowflake polyps are clove polyps. I have seen them white, blue, pink and purple. Depends on your lights and where they are in the tank.

The spots that are on the polyps look like part of the coloring and may just be a color morph. If the get white spots that look kind of like ich then you need to worry. Those dont look like zoa pox, just looks like coloring.

Current Tank Info: 10g, 29g, 29g, 55g, 155g bow reef,120g FOWLR Agressive, 125g discus, 220g reef
RDHDDRAGON is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/03/2012, 07:49 PM   #6
Misled
RC Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by RDHDDRAGON View Post
some hate them. If they are happy they will take off and go crazy!