Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Special Interest Group (SIG) Forums > Large Reef Tanks
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 01/23/2012, 09:26 PM   #26
RedStangGA
Registered Member

Gotta tag along for this one!

Unread 01/23/2012, 09:39 PM   #27
jt48
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedStangGA View Post
Gotta tag along for this one!
Me tooo!!!!

jt48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/23/2012, 10:32 PM   #28
Reefers4Life
Registered Member

Me 3!!!

Reefers4Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/24/2012, 12:54 AM   #29
PistolShrmp
Registered Member

I'm in!

Current Tank Info: Work in Progress..
PistolShrmp is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/24/2012, 01:41 AM   #30
rwb500
Registered Member

just wanted to say thanks for sharing and expanding on an awesome idea. never seen a tank with varying depth before.

rwb500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/24/2012, 03:01 AM   #31
Bello
Registered Member

Wow!! You're a Sketchup demon!!

I kinda agree with not having the tall pillar on the dropoff section. Think it'll look better with just a short bommie on one side, and open area on the other. As far as just the actual drop off cliff goes, looks great with the layering. But seriously, its gonna be awesome

I wish I could help with skimmer choices, but I don't feel I know enough to recommend one. I pretty much went overboard and then some with mine, choosing a BK SM 300 on a 250g, but I hope I'll never have to buy a skimmer for the next 10 years

Still, if i had to choose, I'd do the Reef Octopus, simply because their pumps are great value, and you're already going to be spending so much on the rest.

Does your wife know how much it costs?

Bello is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/24/2012, 06:35 AM   #32
fjr_wertheimber
Combat-tested Reefer

Thanks, guys. I'll definitely take the aquascaping suggestions under advisement. To answer your question, Bello, yup, Wendy knows how much it will all be, and she's even cleared me to go with an ATB or Alpha cone if I want to. :-) So, what's everyone's suggestions for the best sub- $1300 skimmer?

Unread 01/24/2012, 02:03 PM   #33
Sooner7
Registered Member

Love this design……

I think the drop gives you so many options plus in my opinion is as close to a natural reef as you can get with a aquarium…..

I wanted to do the same thing at my house but didn’t have the room or funds to make it work so ended up with a 300 gallon in wall set up in the garage viewable in the kitchen/ kitchen nook …. Garage is just a catch all anyways,….

Sooner7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/24/2012, 02:08 PM   #34
Bello
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fjr_wertheimber View Post
Wendy knows how much it will all be, and she's even cleared me to go with an ATB or Alpha cone if I want to. :-) So, what's everyone's suggestions for the best sub- $1300 skimmer?
You're a lucky man ....... really lucky

It seems that your heart's on the Alpha Kone 300. I can definitely vouch for the Red Dragon 1500 pumps on those, very nice, with crazy foam...

Should be a good choice IMO.

Bello is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/24/2012, 02:38 PM   #35
jsims08
Registered Member

gotta follow this too, awesome looking tank in the first pic, love to see what you come up with!

jsims08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/24/2012, 05:35 PM   #36
fjr_wertheimber
Combat-tested Reefer

Thanks, CyclistMT, I think you may be (partially) right. I'm definitely losing one of the pillars on the lower level but keeping one (I want at least one pillar at the bottom to serve as a remind of our dive trip at Steve's Bommie on the Great Barrier Reef), and I'm toying with shrinking the pillars on the top level to just small, short rocks (kinda mini-mini-bommies, if you will... LOL).

Unread 01/24/2012, 06:22 PM   #37
dknydiep
Registered Member

Agreed on the pillar in the front. maybe 2 small islands down there instead.

Great work so far! Keep us updated with photos. Subscribed.

dknydiep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/24/2012, 07:15 PM   #38
Mr.Mustang
Registered Member

Going to tag along too. I always wanted a 300DD but you got me thinking. I just love the idea of a step down.

Mr.Mustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/24/2012, 07:41 PM   #39
fjr_wertheimber
Combat-tested Reefer

Yeah, same here, Mr. Mustang. I'd actually planned originally on getting a 300DD, but then I saw the drop-off tank, and went, "Wow! I want THAT!!"

Unread 01/24/2012, 07:53 PM   #40
alanbates12
Registered Member.

tagging along

alanbates12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/24/2012, 08:55 PM   #41
fjr_wertheimber
Combat-tested Reefer

So a bit more info: The rock structure will be live rock with a PVC substructure, covered in pond foam and formed Polygem Zoopoxy #307 LITE and custom latex press molds to give the appearance of actual live rock. I'm going to have the pieces cut on a CNC waterjet to ensure accuracy of ±.003" and perfectly leveled cuts on each axis.

Unread 01/24/2012, 09:56 PM   #42
CyclistMT
More Idiot Than Savant

Quote:
Originally Posted by fjr_wertheimber View Post
Thanks, CyclistMT, I think you may be (partially) right. I'm definitely losing one of the pillars on the lower level but keeping one (I want at least one pillar at the bottom to serve as a remind of our dive trip at Steve's Bommie on the Great Barrier Reef), and I'm toying with shrinking the pillars on the top level to just small, short rocks (kinda mini-mini-bommies, if you will... LOL).
I totally understand and besides, it's your tank, not mine and it should definitely be a reflection of it's owner. The beauty of a 3 sided viewable tank is that if your view is obstucted from one side, you can move around to the other and see what's there. It's like a garden path where you can't see around the corner, but if you keep walking you'll discover something new.

Unread 01/24/2012, 10:41 PM   #43
skimace7
Registered Member

gotta tag along!

skimace7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/25/2012, 12:40 AM   #44
Vince huy
Registered Member

very nice job,love your design

Vince huy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/25/2012, 11:42 AM   #45
lotusstar
Registered Member

This is awesome! I saw your post on ARC and here. Looks like an amazing design idea. I am not far away up 35 so if you ever need another set of hands I would be more than happy to help out just to see this set up. Keep up the good work on detailing the design.

lotusstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/25/2012, 01:48 PM   #46
fjr_wertheimber
Combat-tested Reefer

Hey, thanks for the offer of help, lotusstar. I'm actually up in Temple quite often (at the VA clinic up there) and I'll definitely take you up on the offer once I've got everything in place. I think it's gonna be pretty incredible.

Unread 01/25/2012, 09:09 PM   #47
pgaudreau
Registered Member

tagging along

looks great, the bigger size is the way to go

pgaudreau is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/26/2012, 06:47 PM   #48
reefdna
Registered Member

Great idea! looking forward to the build

Current Tank Info: 250 Acrylic mixed reef w/3 400W MH in mini Lumenarc's, 1/3 HP chiller 80 gal sump
reefdna is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/28/2012, 02:09 PM   #49
fjr_wertheimber
Combat-tested Reefer

Okay, so just a few updates. I put together a mockup of the new tank will go into, so we can figure out furniture, etc. Also, Wendy wanted a nano tank for some h. barbouri seahorses, so I mocked up a tank for her from the scrap cut to make the L-shaped pieces for the main tank. It will definitely be the stoutest nano EVER, as it's 24"l x 16"h x 12"w, made out of 3/4" low-iron glass. LOL It'll have a sump underneath with a WAY oversized skimmer for the tank size, to accommodate the nastiness that seahorse tanks create.

You'll pardon me if the models aren't exact, but I just wanted to make sure I was giving myself enough room for the Alpha 300 Kone skimmer, for the two HY5000 returns, and also to check the placement of the four Vortech pumps (2x MP40wES, 2x MP60wES). The two 40 gallon tanks up front are going to be quarantine tanks, the water jugs are for top-off water (and will be pulled from with an auto-topoff turning on/off an Aqualifter pump. The large portion of the sump towards the front will be a refugium/frag area. Oh, and I added 2" tabs with holes for attaching the wood facing on the stand.

Anyone see anything I'm missing, something I could improve or you think I should change?

Unread 01/28/2012, 05:40 PM   #50
lotusstar
Registered Member

Excellent mockup of the room and tank. Looks like you will have plenty of room under the tank. One question though. Is it a 2 side viewable? For some reason I was assuming it was a peninsula 3 side viewable. Either way you are really doing your homework. Should be excellent.

lotusstar is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
440 gallon, custom, dropoff, reef, starphire