Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Do It Yourself
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 07/14/2006, 09:37 PM   #476
pactrop
Premium Member

I try to use as much flex as I can. It is more expensive but it is worth it in forgiveness. the smaller the diameter the more flex it has. I have some 2in. flex and it is pretty stiff but the 3/4in and even the 1in. work wonders. when you glue them you have to let them sit a little longer than regular pvc but it is well worth it.

pactrop is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/14/2006, 10:11 PM   #477
GoldStripe
Registered Member

Ditto

GoldStripe is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/15/2006, 01:15 PM   #478
tye_c
Premium Member

I just tried 2 test holes on a 10g they both cracked. I was using a 55mm bit. The bit was moving pretty slow and I mostly used the weight of the drill, no added pressure. The 10g was at least 15 years old. Do you think it was the tank? I have a 75g sump that is getting 2 55mm holes and a 70 mm hole. I only paid $75 for the sump so i wont be out a lot of money, but I would like to get this done the first time. Any suggestions?

CORA Member

Current Tank Info: Starting a 120g after 7 years out of the hobby.
tye_c is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/15/2006, 09:26 PM   #479
swedish steel
Registered Member

typ_c My first question would be, were you drilling the bottom? I understand that the bottom of glass tanks are often tempered glass. If you were drilling the side, the glass on a 10 gallon is very thin, thus not strong. I wouldn't be too worried about your success on drilling the sump. Good luck.

swedish steel is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/16/2006, 12:34 AM   #480
GoldStripe
Registered Member

I agree. I didn't even practice on that thickness of glass. I tried 1/4" with no failure and then went on to my tank. The thinner the glass, the harder it is to drill.

Unread 07/16/2006, 05:25 AM   #481
tye_c
Premium Member

I was drilling the sides of the 10g. I went ahead and tried the 55mm hole on the 75g. I took my time and checked it ofter. It took 1/2 an hour for 3/8 glass. The good thing was that it was a success.

What is everyone using to polish up the edges after the hole is drilled?

Tye

CORA Member

Current Tank Info: Starting a 120g after 7 years out of the hobby.
tye_c is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/16/2006, 09:07 AM   #482
DHyslop
Registered Member

10 gallon tanks are all pretty touchy to drill because they're so thin. A lot of them break being drilled for 3/4" or 1" bulkheads, so a 55mm hole might be pushing it!

Dan

DHyslop is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/17/2006, 05:51 PM   #483
DerekW
Registered Member

I was curious why you didn't mount the OM closer to thepump like dtaranath. Less pipes that way, but you would need gate valves at all the BH's

It's a small world........But I wouldn't want to paint it.

Current Tank Info: 220, 4x250w mh, 4x110w actinics CS12-2 RC , 75 gallon sump, Calcium reactor, DIY 36" Kalkwasser reactor
DerekW is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/17/2006, 07:08 PM   #484
GoldStripe
Registered Member

Not sure if that ? was directed to me or not but I assume it was. I didn't want to plumb 4 1" pipes up through the back of the stand. Actually I didn't have enough room under the stand for all that mess. It was eaier to run a single 1 1/2" up to the unit. I've seen it both ways. Not sure if there's an advantage to either.

Unread 08/06/2006, 05:19 PM   #485
dannieboiz
Registered Member

I'm about to drill the back of my 130 starfire tank. The back is 3/4" thick, has anyone have success with doing this?

I'm drilling two holes for 1.5" bulkheads.

dannieboiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/06/2006, 08:00 PM   #486
GoldStripe
Registered Member

Haven't tried 3/4" glass but my 150 is 1/2" glass and I drilled 4 holes for 1.5" bulks and 2 for 1" bulks, all in the back. 3/4" seems awful thick for a 130, who made the tank? Is it starphire 3 sided and the back normal glass?

Unread 08/07/2006, 12:59 AM   #487
dannieboiz
Registered Member

yup, it's 3 sided, it's a lee mae tank I believe. I had to replace the back and the bottom panels due to cracks. bought both pcs 3/4 inch. for the price difference I choose to go 3/4 for the peace of mind. back was already 3/4 to start with anyway

Unread 08/07/2006, 07:01 AM   #488
GoldStripe
Registered Member

you may consider buying two of the bits from lau. they are so cheap it wouldn't hurt. one thing that may be more difficult is having to keep your drill straight up and down a little longer. I know that's tough for me to do and I have to take breaks often. other than that there's no difference I wouldn't think. just takes a while

Unread 08/07/2006, 10:16 AM   #489
dannieboiz
Registered Member

I've just ordered the 60mm bit from Lau already, very happy with their shipping speed. Got shipping confirmation within hours.

Unread 08/07/2006, 11:25 AM   #490
vanceny
Registered Member

6 holes drilled with bits from ebay. This is the second tank since the first shattered. Probably tempered glass. It took forever but the results are priceless.

vanceny is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/08/2006, 04:31 PM   #491
JustOneMoreTank
Registered Member

Great job vanceny! Nice picture as well.

JustOneMoreTank is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/06/2006, 12:21 AM   #492
93blackgt5.0
Registered Member

I am actuly wanting to try this on a 125 that I am picking up. What size bulkhead do you all recommend for a sump and return. Also is there anyone who has any pics of the supply and return not in the bottom? I am debating between hang on overflows or drilling them and controlling with a gate valve? I think the drilled would look much cleaner for install purposes since I do not have a dedicated fish room. I also would like to do a closed loop as well, but dont want to have 10 holes in the back of the tank.

Eric

125 with 55 sump in the works.

Current Tank Info: 75 gallon reef
93blackgt5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/11/2006, 01:33 PM   #493
donald altman
Registered Member

help with drain

I have a 100 gallon tank and I was reading this post and decided it was time to chunk the hob refugum and tuck a 38 tall under my stand for one. I haven't gotten a pump yet but plan to order one soon.. something I did order though from lau about a week ago
was the 45mm diamond bit.. I was thinking of using 2 one inch drains going down into the refugium.

I was thinking of using 1 inch bulkheads then to use hose instead of pvc into the tank to curve water noise. Probly vinyl 1 inch id tubing.

will this be alright.. I never thought of 1 inch drains not being enough .. I was thinking 2 one at each far corner of the tank out the back.

Does everyone agree that 1 inch ust wont do it ? sheesh I thought by using two it would work great...

I hate I have already ordered the bit it will probly be on my door today or tommorrow I would guess.
I have heard by 2 people I need atleast 1.5 inch drains.

Current Tank Info: 100 gallon reef...
donald altman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/11/2006, 01:50 PM   #494
impur
Registered Member

Piece of cake

Current Tank Info: 75gal, 20gal sump, 6-54w T5 TEK
impur is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/11/2006, 09:09 PM   #495
JustOneMoreTank
Registered Member

That is not a big crack in the third picture running from the top of the tank to the bottom of the tank is it?

JustOneMoreTank is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/11/2006, 09:13 PM   #496
swedish steel
Registered Member

93blackgt5 - I would research the inlet and outlet size of the closed loop pump to decide on the hole size. I am going with sequence dart to OM 4-way resulting in 2 inch closed loop drains and 1 inch closed loop returns. The drains to sump I used were 1 1/2 inch bulkheads - it is good to drill at least two in case one clogs. My holes are in the end glass on both ends. Go 1 1/2 times the diameter size from any edge or nearby hole, but if the holes are getting that close to each other check the total diameter of the bulkhead to be sure there is room for the two near each other. HTH

swedish steel is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/11/2006, 09:22 PM   #497
93blackgt5.0
Registered Member

Thanks. I think I am going to dump the closed loop idea. What I am thinking of doing is four one inch drains about 8 inches apart and a single large overflow mounted to the tank, with an over the top return using PVC and lineloc. The thing with my tank is that it is an Oceanic, which means it had the huge center brace of tempered glass. The brace is like 20 inches wide, no joke. I guess I could plump in the drains and then drill for retuns under the overflow box. That would take away and plumbing over the tank and help with head height on the return pump. I just dont want to use alot of space that I could be using for rock work.

Eric

Unread 10/11/2006, 10:10 PM   #498
aroundtuit
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by 93blackgt5.0
..... I guess I could plump in the drains and then drill for retuns under the overflow box. That would take away and plumbing over the tank and help with head height on the return pump. .....

Eric
Be careful with that. If you put the returns under the overflow box, when your pump is off, your tank will drain down to that level and possibly overflow your sump

-Chinese Proverb

Current Tank Info: 110 G Fresh water - 125 Gal Reef not set up yet.
aroundtuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/12/2006, 12:45 AM   #499
93blackgt5.0
Registered Member

I was just thinking of that, I need a siphon break, had a brain fart. I guess I will just use PVC over the tank like in the first picture, with a couple of lineloc outlets.

So I am thinking four, one inch bulkheads for overflow with tank mounted boxes and maybe a small closed loop running a mag 7 or 9.5?

Also, on the Ehiem pumps, can I plumb those in outside my sump. I was thinking of drilling the sump and plumbing it for an external pump. Or should I just toss it in the sump and forget about it.

Eric

Unread 10/12/2006, 06:35 AM   #500
donald altman
Registered Member

so a closed loop would just pull water out of a hose go through a pump then put it right back in without going into the sump?

I like the idea of possibly doing on of these but how do you prevent things from being sucked in.. I would imagine thats a big suction I could do this but need some help kind with the design for my 100 gallon.

i am using 2 1 inch drains into a sump with 3/4 on a scwd for returns... I would like to add the closed loop if someone could help me to figure out placement I have a 1 inch diamond bit I plan to use for the closed loop if I can make one.. can anyone help me.
Iw ould like to use a "quiet one" or something like that for a pump.

Current Tank Info: 100 gallon reef...
donald altman is offline   Reply With Quote