Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Lighting, Filtration & Other Equipment
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 04/15/2019, 07:14 PM   #1
Mikegray
Registered Member

ATO tunze or apex

I've read alot of issues with the apex. But I'm asking this because maybe apex has fixed the issues and now it's all good. I will be using full apex control so I'm wondering since they are the same price, should I get apex ATO or is it still hit or miss as tunze is suppose to be pretty reliable.

Mikegray is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/16/2019, 10:29 AM   #2
solitude127
Proud user of IO Salt!

Take a look at the avast ATO or Spectrapure ATO. Both use pressure sensors as opposed to electric eye so nothing to malfunction. I've been using avast for a few years now and you can integrate the avast into your apex if you'd like.

ReefKeeping.com TOTM Nov 2012
Socalireefs Featured Reef Oct 2011

Current Tank Info: 60*30*20, 8x54 ATI Powermodule, ReefBrite XHO, ATB Elegance 200, Aquamaxx CTech CaRx, Ecotech Vortechs, Apex Controls, WM Ecobak powered. RedSea Reefer 170, MP10, Apex Jr, Ecotech Radion XR15, Aquamaxx WS-1
solitude127 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/16/2019, 11:30 AM   #3
bshow24
Registered Member

+1 to avast. Have had mine for almost 9 years and still going strong. Have never had an issue with it either.

Equipment: 2x Radion XR15 Pro, Radion XR30 Pro, Vectra M1 Return, 2x MP40 Powerhead
bshow24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/16/2019, 12:12 PM   #4
Mikegray
Registered Member

Gonna look it up now

Unread 04/16/2019, 01:08 PM   #5
Ted_C
Registered Member

+1 to spectrapure. Peristalic is the way to go - no siphon issues or worrying about the height of your ato in relation to the sump. When its off it's off.

I'm running 4+ years now on the same pump tubing on my 150 and 2+ years on my 300 (just replaced the tubing last week).

Unread 04/16/2019, 03:13 PM   #6
Mikegray
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bshow24 View Post
+1 to avast. Have had mine for almost 9 years and still going strong. Have never had an issue with it either.
I'm actually digging this setup do you have some sensor that will tell you when ato reservior is maybe 1/3 full so I get a reminder on apex to top it off. I can get optical sensor. Gotta buy the fmm just for that. Not really liking the fmm purchase just for the sensor use. Any other way

Unread 04/16/2019, 03:35 PM   #7
bshow24
Registered Member

As far as I know, in order to connect to the Apex you would need the FMM, at least in this instance.

I typically just keep an eye on my ATO and fill it as needed, or when my pump starts making a loud noise it means it's empty. I use the Avast Diaphragm Pump for this (little bit louder, but it's not like it stays on consistently) and running dry isn't an issue.

Equipment: 2x Radion XR15 Pro, Radion XR30 Pro, Vectra M1 Return, 2x MP40 Powerhead
bshow24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/17/2019, 09:22 AM   #8
LQT
Registered Member

You can actually pick up another Avast pressure switch with pressure tube, put the tube into your ATO reservoir and wire the pressure sensor to your breakout box. Program your Apex to send you a notification when the switch is triggered in the ATO reservoir. I think this is the much more reliable option as the Apex optical sensors seem to be cheap Chinese made junk that requires a lot of maintenance / cleaning.

As to your original question... Tunze 3155 or Naptune ATK? Tunze 3155 every time.

That said, I’ve owned a Tunze 3155 for years, trouble free but now own a Spectrapure ULPC-ATO for my current build.

Deep Blue 57 Edge ATI Acro Garden Build Thread
http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?p=25573384#post25573384

Current Tank Info: DeepBlue 57 Edge
LQT is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/17/2019, 09:53 AM   #9
Mikegray
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LQT View Post
You can actually pick up another Avast pressure switch with pressure tube, put the tube into your ATO reservoir and wire the pressure sensor to your breakout box. Program your Apex to send you a notification when the switch is triggered in the ATO reservoir. I think this is the much more reliable option as the Apex optical sensors seem to be cheap Chinese made junk that requires a lot of maintenance / cleaning.

As to your original question... Tunze 3155 or Naptune ATK? Tunze 3155 every time.

That said, I’ve owned a Tunze 3155 for years, trouble free but now own a Spectrapure ULPC-ATO for my current build.

So take another pressure switch and fully submerge it 1/3 to the bottom and when it finally drops below it it will trigger alarm. Are these things ok to be fully submerged though?

Unread 04/17/2019, 10:06 AM   #10
LQT
Registered Member

Yes, the pressure switch will only read open or closed. Check to confirm with Avast, they’re very responsive. Obviously keep the pressure switch box above the water level in the reservoir so water won’t siphon and damage the switch.

Deep Blue 57 Edge ATI Acro Garden Build Thread
http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?p=25573384#post25573384

Current Tank Info: DeepBlue 57 Edge
LQT is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/18/2019, 01:02 PM   #11
solitude127
Proud user of IO Salt!

If you want a cheap ATO reservoir sensor, I've been using an old JBJ float switch in mine. I have it hooked up to my break out box and when in closed position, it'll send me an alert.

ReefKeeping.com TOTM Nov 2012
Socalireefs Featured Reef Oct 2011

Current Tank Info: 60*30*20, 8x54 ATI Powermodule, ReefBrite XHO, ATB Elegance 200, Aquamaxx CTech CaRx, Ecotech Vortechs, Apex Controls, WM Ecobak powered. RedSea Reefer 170, MP10, Apex Jr, Ecotech Radion XR15, Aquamaxx WS-1
solitude127 is offline   Reply With Quote