Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 05/15/2011, 01:03 PM   #1
hillscp
Soylent Green is People!!

How can I control this purple macro algae

This stuff came in on a frag.

Here it is trying to take over my Seriatopora guttatus

Here it is clogging up the inlet on my Overflow

Here is a bad picure of it growing up the back side of my T. Maxima

So my questions are

1. What kind of Algae is it?
2. What will control it.

I have a 125 (long) with a 55 gallon sump/Fuge full of Chaeto. Five Bartletts Anthias, Two Clowns (one O and one P (A Mated Pair LOL - they make percularis)) and a Koles Tang.

This is the only nusance algae I have in my aquarium. I was thinking a rabbit fish (Fox Face?) but I am not sure it would co-habitate with my Kole.

I hate it

Current Tank Info: Salt water since 1995

Last edited by hillscp; 05/15/2011 at 01:52 PM.
hillscp is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/10/2011, 08:58 AM   #2
hillscp

Bump

Unread 06/10/2011, 10:35 AM   #3
kb1916
Registered Member

sorry I can;t answer your specific question on the purple algae but I would recommend in the future carefully checking any frags you get for things like this and pests before putting it in your display tank.
Also, in the pic, it looks like you may have some green bubble algae as well. I've been fightiing a losing battle with this stuff for years and have not found any solutions for it. If its just on one rock and you can move the frag, I would suggest taking this rock out of your tank before it spreads all over. I didn;t do that and now have bubble algae practically everywhere.

kb1916 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/10/2011, 10:37 AM   #4
Juicer69
Registered Member

You can send some to me.

Juicer69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/10/2011, 10:54 AM   #5
mightymizz
Registered Member

Sorry, no advice here. But that just doesn't look like a fun thing to now have to deal with. Some algae is just a huge problem. Hope you don't have one of those types.

Best of luck!

Keep us updated to your progress.

mightymizz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/10/2011, 11:47 AM   #6
hillscp

Quote:
Originally Posted by kb1916 View Post
sorry I would recommend in the future carefully checking any frags you get for things like this and pests before putting it in your display tank.
Thanks for that It did come in on a frag.

As for the bubble algae I have had it since 1997 when I got the rock. It's pretty easy to deal with.

I'm starting manual removal. The stuff doesn't grow too fast as long as I keep up with it.

Does anyone know if there is a significant difference in what a Foxface will eat versus a yellow tang? I have never had either.

Unread 06/10/2011, 11:53 AM   #7
hillscp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juicer69 View Post
You can send some to me.
That sounds like a loaded comment LOL. Let me know why you want some. Do you frequent the algae forum?

Unread 06/10/2011, 01:57 PM   #8
thebkramer
Registered Member

I've had this weird purple stuff come in on a frag before.. I loved it because I love the color purple.. Within an hour after lights out.. my turbo snails demolished it!!!
do you have any turbos in there??

There is NO such things as Dumb Questions!! There are However.. Dumb Answers!!! ;)

Current Tank Info: 55g reef....Current Orbit SunPaq Lights, HOB Eshopps, HOB AquaClear 110, 2-1400 Koralia Powerheads & 1 Nano Koralia, 40+ lbs LR, 2" LS
thebkramer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/10/2011, 01:59 PM   #9
Lynnmw1208
Registered Member

I was going to say mexican turbos and they'll even eat cheato. It's really pretty though! I hope the bit of red macro I have growing doesn't turn into this lol.

equipment: Eshopps psk-200 skimmer, Mag 12 pump, 30gal sump, 2x 300w Finnex heaters, glass-holes 1500gph overflow kit with 3/4" return kits, 72" 8x36w t-5 AquaticLife light, 66lbs of LR, 150lbs of tropic eden reeflakes, 2 Koralia Evo 1400, JBJ ATO, BRS dual GFO/carbon reactors, Hydor smartwave

Current Tank Info: 125gallon
Lynnmw1208 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/10/2011, 06:14 PM   #10
hillscp

Thanks guys. I went and bought what was apparently the only 5 Mexican turbos in town. They're munching away. Prolly need about 95 more lol.

Unread 06/10/2011, 06:19 PM   #11
thebkramer
Registered Member

yAy!!
I'm sure that macro will be gone within days!!

There is NO such things as Dumb Questions!! There are However.. Dumb Answers!!! ;)

Current Tank Info: 55g reef....Current Orbit SunPaq Lights, HOB Eshopps, HOB AquaClear 110, 2-1400 Koralia Powerheads & 1 Nano Koralia, 40+ lbs LR, 2" LS
thebkramer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/10/2011, 06:44 PM   #12
sjwitt
Registered Member

Looks like it could be hypnea pannosa. It is reported to bloom in aquariums under good water quality conditions and seems to have a positive effect on water quality though it may shade or smother corals. It can be removed by hand or by using herbivores like surgeonfishes.

sjwitt is offline   Reply With Quote