Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Special Interest Group (SIG) Forums > Large Reef Tanks
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 12/16/2011, 06:03 AM   #51
brockboi
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdpiii3 View Post
yes, yes it is! I follow them when they are touring seen them 80 times
my mother in law went to school with Neil Peart and one day Neil was drumming with a pair of pencils on the back of her chair. she turned around and said "stop drumming on my chair, you'll never go anywhere in music"!!!
incorrect!

brockboi is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/23/2011, 12:15 PM   #52
mr.wilson
RC Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allmost View Post
It won't give u cancer ...
Cancer cells spread/grow very rapidly, which means they need oxygen, which in turn means they will try to generate more blood vessels within and around themselves. Now exposure to excessive copper can aid them with their "berating task". same idea is used in photodynamic therapy, where profeline is injected and it concentrates in most rapid growing parts of body, ie. Nails, hair, Cancer .... And then by focusing light we kill the cancer cell ...
... and don't forget about Wilson's disease
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wilson's_disease

mr.wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/23/2011, 12:22 PM   #53
Allmost
Moved On

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr.wilson View Post
... and don't forget about Wilson's disease
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wilson's_disease
oh interesting !!

I hope its not named after you

Allmost is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/23/2011, 12:22 PM   #54
mr.wilson
RC Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by CalmSeasQuest View Post
Hi Peter,

I also purchased a GoPro Hero2 but haven't had a chance to play with it yet. I'm especially excited knowing that you and Chingchai are impressed with its performance.

Looking forward to underwater photos and video

Merry Christmas!
I saw the Go Pro on Peter's desk and thought it was a toy, I guess it is, but man that's big bang for the buck. It rivals Peter's full frame camera and costs less than the tax on just one lens.

I guess I wil get the job of creating an underwater Steady Cam/Canada Arm, two more great Canadian inventions to add to Rush

Unread 12/26/2011, 08:37 AM   #55
aquaventions
Registered Member

I have an Abyzz 400 pump, and I am wondering where you got the flexible couplings for your Abyzz pumps?

aquaventions is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/26/2011, 09:49 AM   #56
mr.wilson
RC Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by aquaventions View Post
I have an Abyzz 400 pump, and I am wondering where you got the flexible couplings for your Abyzz pumps?
We bought the silicone hose from Venotec, makers of Abyzz.

2" flex hose fits over 50mm pipe and 1.5" fits over 40mm.

Unread 12/26/2011, 11:04 AM   #57
TheFishTeen
Registered Member.

Awaiting that photo update...eagerly.

TheFishTeen is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/26/2011, 12:59 PM   #58
mr.wilson
RC Sponsor

Peter is learning how to master the new Go Pro mini cam. I will take some pics when I get back to the Great White North. I'm way down South in Chicago for the holidays.

Unread 12/26/2011, 03:19 PM   #59
nineball
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr.wilson View Post
Peter is learning how to master the new Go Pro mini cam. I will take some pics when I get back to the Great White North. I'm way down South in Chicago for the holidays.
Check your email.....

Current Tank Info: SW mixed reef 1350 gal in progress
nineball is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/26/2011, 03:22 PM   #60
nineball
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFishTeen View Post
Awaiting that photo update...eagerly.
Sorry for the delay.... I have been very busy and also got a nasty cold so the effort to get you your Christmas update is a bit delayed....Hopefully in the next few days.

Unread 12/26/2011, 03:25 PM   #61
nineball
Registered Member

Tom can you PM me your Email/phone as Andy has asked me if I can get it for him.....I just had a great IPhone video call with Andy and his family. It was great to see and talk to him as well as get a personal tour of his tank.....WOW just WOW.

Peter

Unread 12/26/2011, 08:13 PM   #62
msr224
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nineball View Post
.....WOW just WOW.

Peter
Peter...coming from you....that is a mouthful.

Current Tank Info: Just a mixed reef tank.
msr224 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/27/2011, 10:22 AM   #63
CalmSeasQuest
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nineball View Post
Tom can you PM me your Email/phone as Andy has asked me if I can get it for him.....I just had a great IPhone video call with Andy and his family. It was great to see and talk to him as well as get a personal tour of his tank.....WOW just WOW.

Peter
PM Sent - Looking forward to an update from Andy!

I've been playing a bit with the Hero2 and it got me thinking....

With the size of your tank, it would be feasible to build, modify or acquire a RC submarine or ROV and fit it with your Hero2. There are quite a few already available that might be able to be retrofitted. I found a fellow Canadian that does custom submarine with camera builds including replicas of the Nautilus.

This one for instance looks large enough that the Hero2 could be mounted in the clear nosecone (although it might be a bit too bit large.)

Imagine sailing your tank and interacting with the livestock with live HD streaming video from the Hero 2 (once the WiFi back is released.) I would think it would be an incredible experience for the pilot and observers!

The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man. - George Bernard Shaw

Current Tank Info: 96X30" 270Gal, Kessil 360WEs, BK250 Double Cone, 400 gal ASW station with continuous water change
CalmSeasQuest is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/01/2012, 12:17 PM   #64
dmb1977
Registered Member

any updates peter

dmb1977 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/01/2012, 12:47 PM   #65
dcook
Registered Member

Pictures pleeeze

Current Tank Info: 100 gal
dcook is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/07/2012, 08:41 AM   #66
infpalex
Registered Member

Yay! I just got done reading all of your thread, which I started immediately after reading all of Ching's thread. I am a lurker, I've been reading threads here for a few months both these last two threads have made me really want to speak up and be more a part of the community. Thank you so much to both of you for the way you have handled your threads, they kept me coming back for more.

I posted this on his thread too but I feel like I am slowly earning my PhD in Reef Keeping from your threads. There is so much to absorb I feel like I need to reread both threads again!

In any case, I want to thank you, Mr Wilson, Dave M, Brothers Grimm, and all the other helpers of your project. You all are very inspiring. I am going to be saving so I can upgrade this year to a 125g, which will be huge compared to my 29gal. I will be using this thread and your great example to help me along the way.

Thanks again for sharing, I am very grateful to the whole community for having this information out there for a newbie like me.

Alex

infpalex is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/07/2012, 09:05 AM   #67
mr.wilson
RC Sponsor

Sorry guys, I haven't been posting much lately. It's great to see the thread lives on and is continuing to lift rocks to expose more lurkers to the naked light of day

Yes, pictures will follow in the next few days. The tank is really growing in well. We are getting to the point where we will cull out some of the less colourful corals. The bar keeps getting lifted, so what was once a premium coral is now background

It's incredible how much a tank can mature in a year. It was last January when we added the first corals. I will do some searching through my pictures and try to do some before and after perspectives.

Unread 01/07/2012, 03:40 PM   #68
nineball
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by infpalex View Post
Yay! I just got done reading all of your thread, which I started immediately after reading all of Ching's thread. I am a lurker, I've been reading threads here for a few months both these last two threads have made me really want to speak up and be more a part of the community. Thank you so much to both of you for the way you have handled your threads, they kept me coming back for more.

I posted this on his thread too but I feel like I am slowly earning my PhD in Reef Keeping from your threads. There is so much to absorb I feel like I need to reread both threads again!

In any case, I want to thank you, Mr Wilson, Dave M, Brothers Grimm, and all the other helpers of your project. You all are very inspiring. I am going to be saving so I can upgrade this year to a 125g, which will be huge compared to my 29gal. I will be using this thread and your great example to help me along the way.

Thanks again for sharing, I am very grateful to the whole community for having this information out there for a newbie like me.

Alex
Thank you Alex. This year end has been a busy one for me so I haven't been posting as much. If our thread has inspired you to 'dive in' a bit deeper we are pleased to have you join our community. I have been looking forward to posting more progress and accompanying observations following my learning curve. Stay tuned for a sizeable update on lighting. I am very excited about the path we have been following. Hopefully it will be helpful to this community as well.

Peter

Unread 01/07/2012, 09:07 PM   #69
Mrs. Music
Registered Member

I always love reading this thread due to the never ending optimism, humility and acceptance that is expressed here. Thank you for sharing this wonderul build with the rest of us ORD stricken individuals.

Mrs. Music is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/09/2012, 07:43 PM   #70
reefgeek31
Registered Member

Peter I starving for info about our tank? I've been following since chingchi tank . I pray things are good and hope you can fill the starving with info of your masterpiece. I hope you are not losing the fire that has made this build so special in the first place.

reefgeek31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/19/2012, 09:15 PM   #71
swissgaurd
Registered Member

hi peter maybe i missed this somewhere.
question on your LED lighting
how long do you leave your lights on

thanks
vic

swissgaurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/19/2012, 10:44 PM   #72
dave.m
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by swissgaurd
Peter has all this info on his web site. Here is the latest data that he gave me on his lighting.

Note, however, that he is in the process of replacing all the metal halides with Orphek LEDs. This process will be completed by Mr.Wilson in the very near future.

Dave.M

Current Tank Info: None. Nil. Zip. Nada.
dave.m is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/19/2012, 11:05 PM   #73
Padrino
Registered Member

over 5kW of power just in lighting! That's awesome!

Peter,
Would you like me to set up a laser over there as well? I have extensive knowledge in this field.

Are you not worried that you will not have the growth or integrity when full LED? Myself and many others who have totally switched away from T5 and/or MH have experienced major downfalls. I know that you have majority LED now but there are still MH present. Perhaps you can prove otherwise!

Always a pleasure!

Rob

Padrino is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/20/2012, 04:47 PM   #74
aqua20
Registered Member

What a great and beautiful thread!

Peter, honestly you and Chingai have given reefers like me so much inspiration.

Can't wait to see the new pics.

Grtz from Turkey!

aqua20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/20/2012, 08:34 PM   #75
nineball
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by swissgaurd View Post
hi peter maybe i missed this somewhere.
question on your LED lighting

thanks
vic
Vic, its a long sequence given the size and current makeup of the lighting over the tank. The royal blues come on starting about 10 am in 2 foot segments. First one side then the other then the next 2 ft segment and so forth. Each segment takes 5 mins and there are 17 segments. That covers the inside and the outside for a total of 24 feet on the long side and about 20 feet on the inside. Then the lights in the middle come on for and additional 24 feet. The middle currently consists of three 2 ft LED modules and two 6 ft MH/T5 aqua medic units. They are just about to be replaced with 9 new LED custom units over the centre channel. next the process repeats itself every 5 mins with 100% LED white lights. The metal halides / T5's come on for six hours and then the process reverses itself until dark at around midnight.

Peter