Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > New to the Hobby
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 09/12/2018, 09:43 AM   #1
squid row
Registered Member

Preparing for power failure

I live in an area that is likely to see an extended power failure due to the hurricane approaching.

I don't have a generator or any back up power supply

Is there anything I should do in advance that will help keep my tank occupants alive during a prolonged power failure?

Right now my tank is FOWLR but I recently added a BTA

squid row is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/12/2018, 09:53 AM   #2
Yonp11
Registered Member

Battery operated air pumps
Battery operated circulation pumps
Extra RO water
freeze some RO water in bags to float and help with temperature when you lose your air conditioning
Battery operated fans to run across the water surface to help with temp
Power inverter you can plug into your car to get some electricity
Stop feeding the tank for now, most fish can live for days without food

Your biggest problems will be oxygenation, circulation, and temperature. If you can stabilize those 3 things your tank will be fine for a while.

Yonp11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/12/2018, 06:34 PM   #3
mcgyvr
Registered Member

Too late...
At this point you dont have time to order anything...
When the power goes out your tank will require frequent attention as stuff will start to die in as little as a few hours...
A pitcher to pick up water and pour it right back into the tank and repeat frequently is one of the best but labor intensive things you can do...just need to keep aerating and moving the water...

A $99 generator is a great thing to have to keep powerheads on...
Ive got sn inverter in my jeep that I was planning on using should I have problems here along witu the pitcher trick

Unread 09/12/2018, 06:56 PM   #4
DancingShark
Registered Member

Why not just buy a generator. Any hardware store lowes, HD, harbor freight even Walmart stock generators.
@mcgyvr Are you ready for it?

DancingShark is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/12/2018, 07:23 PM   #5
mcgyvr
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DancingShark View Post
Why not just buy a generator. Any hardware store lowes, HD, harbor freight even Walmart stock generators.
For the most part all generators are gone everywhere..... Most places have been running out of gas..batteries..water, bread...etc... Shelves at the stores are bare...Its insane...Of course the threat of half an inch of snow causes hysteria around here too... I understand this kind of reaction near the coast...but not so much in Raleigh/inland...

Im ready...Ive got beer and pretzels..
#ImAnEagleScout

Unread 09/12/2018, 07:30 PM   #6
James77
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcgyvr View Post
For the most part all generators are gone everywhere..... Most places have been running out of gas..batteries..water, bread...etc... Shelves at the stores are bare...Its insane...Of course the threat of half an inch of snow causes hysteria around here too... I understand this kind of reaction near the coast...but not so much in Raleigh/inland...

#ImAnEagleScout
Well, beer is absolutely the most important thing.

But at this point, its more of a learning experience on what to do in the future. Circulation and temperature as stated already are the most important. If that means you sloshing a paddle around the water every hour or so all the better.

Hopefully you do not see extended power failure. Then after prepare for the future, for both you and the tank. I was in the same position several years ago, and did not lose power. But I have since acquired generators, kerosene heaters, vodka , and whatever it takes to keep me going in the winter or summer. Tunze and Vortech pumps are able to have battery backup easily. You can connect pretty much any size battery to a tunze back up system, and I would imagine a Vortech too(not familiar with their battery system). I think my Tunze battery is good for 48 hours. I have thought of upping it too.

Best of luck!

Current Tank Info: 120g Mixed Reef and 75g Freshwater
James77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/12/2018, 07:35 PM   #7
James77
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DancingShark View Post
Probably impossible to find for 500 miles around. I doubt you could even find bottled water.

The best time to prepare is when you are calm, cool, and collected. Unfortunately now is not the time. I hope people see this storm and imagine it happening to them, because it can. Prepare now, it is so worth it.

Current Tank Info: 120g Mixed Reef and 75g Freshwater
James77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/13/2018, 08:19 AM   #8
Newsmyrna80
Registered Member

Speaking from painful experience (I live in Florida) battery operated air stones like the ones used in bait buckets, lots of batteries, make up lots of saltwater to do water changes and top off water and keep both aerated as well. Also freeze water in plastic bags to keep tank cool and obviously somewhere to keep the ice. If you’re without power for an extended amount of time you may have to buy ice then put it in doubled up zip loc bags or something that won’t leak. And as mentioned don’t feed the fish. I was a week without power last year and didn’t lose a thing.

Current Tank Info: 80 gallon reef tank with 30 gal refugium
Newsmyrna80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/13/2018, 09:40 AM   #9
mcgyvr
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newsmyrna80 View Post
Speaking from painful experience (I live in Florida)
@Newsmyrna80 Hey New Smyrna.. We have a condo in Sea Woods and on Bouchelle Island
We had a baby this year and haven't been able to go down in over a year and a half.. Normally we are down there for the 4th of July and Christmas time..
I miss it..

Unread 09/13/2018, 11:19 AM   #10
sacremon
Registered Member

We bought a generator about two months ago specifically because there hadn't been any storms yet at the time, so we wouldn't have a hard time getting one. I'm sure it is next to impossible to find one in NC now, probably even in Asheville...

At this point you might be having a hard time finding battery-powered air pumps. A UPS, like you would use on a computer, can keep an AC-powered air pump running for a good while.

Unread 09/13/2018, 11:34 AM   #11
Sk8r
RC Mod

Stand on a tall chair and dip up as many gallons (pitcher) as you have in your system. Pour them back in one at a time---may take you some while. Do this every 4 hours, including at night. This oxygenates the water. Likewise if you have any means to get Prime or Amquel---these are good to use after, say 3 days. Once every week. I kept a system alive in a winter storm for 8 days using the pitcher and chair method. There is a battery-powered bubbler system from Penn Plax, but if things run true to form your pet store will have sold out of those by now. You can call and ask.

Salinity 1.024-6; alkalinity 8.3-9.3 on KH scale; calcium 420; magnesium 1300, temp 78-80, nitrate .2. Ammonia 0. No filters: lps tank. Alk and cal won't rise if mg is low.

Current Tank Info: 105g AquaVim wedge, yellow tang, sailfin blenny,royal gramma, ocellaris clown pair, yellow watchman, 100 microceriths, 25 tiny hermits, a 4" conch, 1" nassarius, recovering from 2 year hiatus with daily water change of 10%.
Sk8r is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/13/2018, 01:21 PM   #12
Newsmyrna80
Registered Member

Quote:
@Newsmyrna80 Hey New Smyrna.. We have a condo in Sea Woods and on Bouchelle Island
We had a baby this year and haven't been able to go down in over a year and a half.. Normally we are down there for the 4th of July and Christmas time..
I miss it..
Hey back! Congrats on the baby!! Hopefully you’ll be able to make it back down here soon. And no need to worry about hurricanes here since I bought a full house generator we won’t get anymore😂🤞🏻

Unread 09/13/2018, 02:00 PM   #13
squid row
Registered Member

Thanks for all of the advice

I am a boater and a fisherman so I got a little creative and think I am all set.

1. Frozen water bottles to cool water if necessary
2. 12 volt bilge pump for a boat. Connect to a battery (I have four in my boats and are easy to remove) and the water circulation problem is solved
3. D battery operated aerators for a bait well. Have enough D batteries to operate for a week

So.. I think I have circulation, aeration and temperature concerns covered now.

squid row is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/13/2018, 03:17 PM   #14
FortyFour
Registered Member

Good luck everyone!!

FortyFour is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/13/2018, 06:47 PM   #15
Newsmyrna80
Registered Member

Be sure to do water changes. Good luck! Praying for you guys��

Unread 09/14/2018, 01:41 PM   #16
JTL
Registered Member

I think a generator is cheap insurance for us reefers. I had one for 4 years before Irma last year and never used it. Then it ran for 7 days none stop and protected my tank and gave us some creature comforts like tv, internet, hot food and cold beer. We were going thru frozen water bottles like crazy to keep the temp in line. My gen was not large enough to run my ac.

100 gallon DT and 50 gallon sump with refugium. Reefbreeders Photon V2+.
JTL is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/14/2018, 02:20 PM   #17
hkgar
Registered Member

Quote:

#ImAnEagleScout
I live near Michigan State University and remember when we got a 30+ snow storm and going into a grocery store next to campus and the as fast as the could but the beer up it was gone. Not so much milk and bread, don't know about the pretzels. Students have their own proirities,

180 gallon, 40 gallon sump, 3 250 W MH + 4 80W ATI T5's, MTC MVX 36 Skimmer, Apex controller Aquamaxx T-3 CaRx

Current Tank Info: A 2 Barred Rabbitfish, Red Head Salon, Yellow/Purple, McMaster Fairy, Possum, 2 Leopard Wrasses, Kole, & Atlantic Blue Tangs, 2 Percula Clown, 3 PJ and 1 Banggai Cardinalfish , Swallowtail, Bellus and Coral Beauty Angels
hkgar is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/14/2018, 02:24 PM   #18
hkgar
Registered Member

I went through Hurricane Charlie in Florida in 2004. We expected the storm to hit Tampa but it quickly switched course and hit us in the Cape Coral area. Had made no preparations and lost everything in the tan within 24 hours.

180 gallon, 40 gallon sump, 3 250 W MH + 4 80W ATI T5's, MTC MVX 36 Skimmer, Apex controller Aquamaxx T-3 CaRx

Current Tank Info: A 2 Barred Rabbitfish, Red Head Salon, Yellow/Purple, McMaster Fairy, Possum, 2 Leopard Wrasses, Kole, & Atlantic Blue Tangs, 2 Percula Clown, 3 PJ and 1 Banggai Cardinalfish , Swallowtail, Bellus and Coral Beauty Angels
hkgar is offline   Reply With Quote