Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Tank Journals & Builds
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 01/27/2018, 12:21 PM   #1026
Sam2832
Registered Member

Hi, congrats for the tank and the thread,it’s always interesting to read others atemps and success to keep such amazing creatures.
About your aptasia problems have you tried peppermint shrimp? They are way easier than the copperband,last spring my cbb died and over the course of the summer and fall the little anemones made a come back into the display. I added 6 shrimps and that solve the problem even if my clown killed most of them (i can only see one remaining shrimp). In retrospect i should have added them at night,it would have given them a better chance.
Good luck!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Sam2832 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/27/2018, 12:32 PM   #1027
soulpatch
Registered Member

Between my harlequin tusk and trigger the peps don't stand a chance

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Some have bar tabs. I have a coral tab at my LFS. Life goals.
soulpatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/29/2018, 08:36 AM   #1028
soulpatch
Registered Member

Well my powder blue really did not like the copperband and attacked it till it stressed out and died. I had removed the copperband from the tank and into a hospital tank early Friday and it died over the weekend.

I swear I am not meant to keep copperbands. I am seriously considering pulling my trigger and tusk for a week or two and throwing them into a 40 breeder and dumping a ton of peps into my main tank to go to town.

I made up my kalk paste and went to town with quite a few of them yesterday. I need to go back in later this week to hit more on another side of the tank. The biggest issue obviously is that I can not get to those under the rocks and getting them out of the fuge/marine pure would be a nightmare.

Thankfully I can keep like 95% of the aiptasia at bay where it is around any corals so they dont bother much but I notice in the other areas of the tank and it bothers me. Such a pain in the behind pest to deal with.

My biggest mistake going with this large tank was to not have a coral/cuc QT system. This has been source of bubble algae, aiptasia, and even the culpera in my sump.

Unread 01/29/2018, 08:48 AM   #1029
homer1475
Registered Member

Not QTing inverts(snails) is the reason I lost all my fish to ich.

Originally posted by der_wille_zur_macht:

"He's just taking his lunch to work"
homer1475 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/29/2018, 08:55 AM   #1030
soulpatch
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by homer1475 View Post
Not QTing inverts(snails) is the reason I lost all my fish to ich.
I typically buy from CUC only facilities to aid this. I refuse to buy CUC from my LFS groups since they plumb everything together. Not worth the risk. Though while I reduce risk doing it this way it is still there...

It is more the corals I have not QTed that I believe have caused ALL of my issues. Too late to really start now but it is something I think about constantly at this point when I see the Aiptasia.

I have considered breaking down the tank similar to what you are doing to start over and either get in new rock OR have ability to get to all sides of rock to treat as needed but that is a TON of work for limited gain at the moment.

Unread 01/29/2018, 04:59 PM   #1031
Blink2824
Registered Member

Have you considered dropping in a handful of berghia nudi’s rather than peppermints? Peps only irritated my coral and never ate any aiptasia. I’ve been considering the berghia route but I might catch and remove my melanurus wrasse for a few weeks when I do it. Good luck

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Blink2824 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/29/2018, 05:20 PM   #1032
soulpatch
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blink2824 View Post
Have you considered dropping in a handful of berghia nudi’s rather than peppermints? Peps only irritated my coral and never ate any aiptasia. I’ve been considering the berghia route but I might catch and remove my melanurus wrasse for a few weeks when I do it. Good luck

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Actually contacted saltyunderground today and reeftown about this. I too would have to remove my Melanarus but strongly thinking of doing it considering my lack of ability with copperband and fish wouldn't get to them all anyway.

Unread 01/30/2018, 10:54 AM   #1033
soulpatch
Registered Member

Well got approval from my one local buddy to rehouse my Melenarus in his 93 while berghia go to work on my tank. I just need to coordinate and then order in a bath of these guys. Gonna cost me a small fortune but it shoudl be worth it. I will also get some of the egg swirls and such that they offer so I can start some batches in my sump and overflow. Not going to work out long term if I only attack those in my DT and not where else they grow....

Unread 02/17/2018, 08:54 AM   #1034
soulpatch
Registered Member

Actually sold the wrasse and need to get it out of the tank. Building a few diy fish traps today to try. Going to be a long week trying to catch the bugger.

Need him out and the nudis will be on their way ASAP

Unread 02/17/2018, 05:17 PM   #1035
mav3rick478
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by soulpatch View Post
Actually sold the wrasse and need to get it out of the tank. Building a few diy fish traps today to try. Going to be a long week trying to catch the bugger.

Need him out and the nudis will be on their way ASAP

Pieces of meaty food in the traps, my wrasse loves when I drop in pieces of salmon and krill into the tank.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

mav3rick478 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/18/2018, 08:23 AM   #1036
strat1960s
Registered Member

It'll be a year ago in March, I got a nem on a rock. The rock had all kinds of cool critters and a few not so cool critters. After a few weeks, I found about 10 aptasia on that rock and a few other rocks. I looked on youtube and found a few videos. One was by Mark Levinson (sp) of Melev's reef. He had a laser that he used to burn/kill the aptasia. I ordered a similar laser from china. About a month later I was zapping aptasia like a kid burning ants on the sidewalk with a magnifying glass. I've been aptasia free for about 4 months now. I got the occasional oddball that crawled out from under a rock, but I zap it first chance I get. I have since removed the source rock.

Current Tank Info: 240 Gal. mixed reef and 50g SCA
strat1960s is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/18/2018, 11:33 AM   #1037
soulpatch
Registered Member

The aiptasia are under rocks, in sump, and other items. I too can kill then around my corals but that is not sufficient. I will wage natural war against them.

Nudi will go into my tank and sump. I will order eggs as well and place in other areas like sump and overflow to further combat.

Unread 02/20/2018, 09:29 AM   #1038
soulpatch
Registered Member

grabbed the aquamedic trap from a friend last night so this evening the war for the Wrasse begins. I will catch that lil bugger.

Unread 02/21/2018, 02:48 PM   #1039
soulpatch
Registered Member

First night with trap was not a success. My blue throat trigger discovered his way into the trap without any issue and proceeded to rip at the food in there and take it out piece by piece for the other fish who all sat outside the trap watching. I would have been mad if it wasn't so funny to watch.

I sat there on a bucket with the string in my hand to close the trap for well over an hour. Tonight will be attempt 2. If nothing else perhaps they will get comfortable with the trap in there seeing the trigger going in and out...

Unread 02/21/2018, 08:20 PM   #1040
mav3rick478
Registered Member

Quote:
First night with trap was not a success. My blue throat trigger discovered his way into the trap without any issue and proceeded to rip at the food in there and take it out piece by piece for the other fish who all sat outside the trap watching. I would have been mad if it wasn't so funny to watch.

I sat there on a bucket with the string in my hand to close the trap for well over an hour. Tonight will be attempt 2. If nothing else perhaps they will get comfortable with the trap in there seeing the trigger going in and out...
🤦

Unread 02/21/2018, 10:05 PM   #1041
ReefWreak
Registered Member

Quote:

You should do a time lapse while recording it if it's really that funny Might as well share the entertainment. Always tough catching fishes, there's no foolproof way.

ReefWreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/21/2018, 11:41 PM   #1042
mav3rick478
Registered Member

Does your wrasse sleep in an accessible area where you could just scoop him up after he buries himself? Mine sleeps in the front middle of the tank.

Unread 02/22/2018, 08:44 AM   #1043
soulpatch
Registered Member

I have no idea where mine sleeps to be honest. He must sleep in the sand behind the rockwork as I am up late frequently looking at the tank and have never see him go in up front.

Unread 02/22/2018, 08:45 AM   #1044
soulpatch
Registered Member

Another hour last night "fishing" I had the blur throat and file fish in the tap and the wrasse went in. I pulled the string and he beat the door to get out. Meanwhile my trigger and filefish were totally content to just sit there gorging themselves on the food....

Unread 02/22/2018, 12:39 PM   #1045
homer1475
Registered Member

I ended up tearing out my rock to catch mine. Took me 2 tries! I took all the rock out and she dove into the sand. I poked through the entire sandbed with a stick hoping to spook her out, no luck. 2 days later and I did the same thing, except this time I saw where she dove in. Took a big net and scooped her and the sand right out of the tank.

I know it doesn't help you any as you have way to much rock to pull out. Next best thing would be to watch it and see where it dives in, then scoop it right up with the sand.

Unread 02/22/2018, 12:50 PM   #1046
soulpatch
Registered Member

I cant get behind my rockwork where I assume he sleeps in the sand. And there is no way at the moment I will break down my rockwork as I will suffer coral loses. I would sooner bait a hook and catch the wrasse then endanger thousands in coral. I will catch him though. The trap entices him. I might need to remove my trigger temporarily to get him to go into the trap but I will figure it out.

Unread 02/22/2018, 01:29 PM   #1047
homer1475
Registered Member

Just read a thread about catching an uncatchable wrasse the other day(think it was sleif who posted).

He said he just puts the trap in the tank for a couple days to get the fish used to it, then bait it. They will climb right in as they are used to it.

If I could find the thread I would post his response.

On a side note, bought a couple acan frags yesterday. My fingers are crossed they make it. Haven't had any acans in over a year since they all died(slightly ****ed I can't seem to keep my favorite coral, but corals that do not do well in captivity(goniopora) thrive in my tank).

Unread 02/22/2018, 01:42 PM   #1048
soulpatch
Registered Member

well if you ever feel comfy on acans again and swinging through my area again let me know. I have some rainbows I'd frag for ya.

Unread 02/22/2018, 02:26 PM   #1049
homer1475
Registered Member

Thanks for the offer, but until these make it to at least a couple months, or start to grow, I just feel like corals come to my tank to die.

Unread 02/22/2018, 02:37 PM   #1050
mav3rick478
Registered Member

Quote:
Another hour last night "fishing" I had the blur throat and file fish in the tap and the wrasse went in. I pulled the string and he beat the door to get out. Meanwhile my trigger and filefish were totally content to just sit there gorging themselves on the food....
Trigger and Filefish are loving the new delivery service!