Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > New to the Hobby
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 01/17/2018, 01:48 PM   #1
SereneAquatic
Registered Member

Question Why are prices so different between vendors?

Is there a reason why the same type of fish can have widely different prices among vendors? It doesn't even seem to be that the vendor is consistently high or low in prices... they are all over the board.

Do vendors just change prices based on what they have in stock at the moment?

I attached a screenshot of prices I found this week on a variety of species. The green blocks indicate the low price for each... and some are very much higher.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg Price Sheet.jpg (74.6 KB, 89 views)

Current Tank Info: Red Sea Reefer 425 XL Deluxe, Nano Max, 55g Observation, 20g QT
SereneAquatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/17/2018, 01:51 PM   #2
Dmorty217
Saltwater Addict

Depends on where they get their stock from. What if any the guarantee is, and shipping to name a few.

Fish are not disposable commodities, but a worthwhile investment that can be maintained and enjoyed for many years, providing one is willing to take the time to understand their requirements and needs

Current Tank Info: 625g, 220g sump, RD3 230w, Vectra L1 on a closed loop, 3 MP60s, MP40. Several QTs
Dmorty217 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/17/2018, 02:02 PM   #3
hkgar
Registered Member

Are they a broker or to they actually have control of the specimen.

180 gallon, 40 gallon sump, 3 250 W MH + 4 80W ATI T5's, MTC MVX 36 Skimmer, Apex controller Aquamaxx T-3 CaRx

Current Tank Info: A 2 Barred Rabbitfish, Red Head Salon, Yellow/Purple, McMaster Fairy, Possum, 2 Leopard Wrasses, Kole, & Atlantic Blue Tangs, 2 Percula Clown, 3 PJ and 1 Banggai Cardinalfish , Swallowtail, Bellus and Coral Beauty Angels
hkgar is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/17/2018, 02:10 PM   #4
sde1500
Registered Member

interesting to note that the two with the majority of the lowest prices also offer a 2 week guarantee.

http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2548422

Current Tank Info: 65 gallon mixed reef, Eshopps sump and HOB overflow, RO-110int skimmer, Reefbreeder 32" photons V1.
sde1500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/17/2018, 04:21 PM   #5
Tripod1404
Registered Member

On top of what others said, it will also depend on for how long the vendor is keeping the fish before putting it up for sale. If I remember correctly LA keeps the fish for at least 2 weeks before putting them up for sale. I know this because I asked LA about a certain fish sometime ago and they said they recently got a batch of that fish but they are under stress reduction protocol and should appear in stock in couple of weeks. Some vendors do not do this and would sell the fish as soon as they arrive. Longer the fish is kept at their facility, higher the price (since they need to feed it and account for the fish that die during this procedure). Most vendors that offer "no-questions" 2 weeks guarantee on their fish do this, since it increases the odds of fish surviving..

Tripod1404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/17/2018, 04:25 PM   #6
Cliving1
Registered Member

Pricing is a detailed strategy. Taking into account labor, equipment, sourcing location, freight, taxes etc etc, list is huge and commodity dependent. What works for one may or may not work with another. Then they may have a strategy of being the lowest priced, anything is possible. I would say the strongest influencer is cost of the fish, then you add all the other stuff on top, then determine what margin you are looking to capture.

Cliving1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/18/2018, 07:17 AM   #7
reef cuber
Registered Member

May also depend on their overhead and location too.

reef cuber is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/18/2018, 12:51 PM   #8
Uncle99
Crab Free Zone

These prices are great, double that in Canada....except for clams which are cheap here...
They get what they can, that's just business....I seen 40 buck differences between two related stores with 20 miles of each other....

Uncle99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/18/2018, 01:19 PM   #9
Hal
Registered Member

+1 for all of the above. It's because we live in a free market. Everyone's costs are different for all the reasons listed, so they charge differently. Or maybe they offer more, such as guarantees, follow up advice, or the store does some kind of QT and /or treatment.

One thing that wasn't mentioned was: because they can. A store that lives in an area with wealthy shoppers may mark up prices in part because it won't deter purchases, if done properly.

Conversely, I've also heard that stores that experience high theft tend to raise prices to compensate. I don't think that applies here.

Current Tank Info: 250g starphire: 72x28x30, BeanAnimal drain with an oversized non-durso emergency drain, 4 inch DSB, 3x Reefbreeders Value LED fixtures, SWC/MSX 300A skimmer, Geo kalk reactor, 3 Vortechs w/bb, carbon reactor, and a RKL
Hal is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/22/2018, 06:10 AM   #10
HERE
Registered Member

emmmmm

May and the origin of the fish and the distance between the delivery of the relevant:celeb2::celeb2::celeb2:
http://www.ledsmaster.com/ LedsMaster

HERE is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/22/2018, 09:39 AM   #11
Uncle99
Crab Free Zone

Like any shopper, your best defense is shopping around and get to know your prices.
Example, yesterday, store 1, fist size golden hammer on a mount was $179.00, yet at store 2, just 20 minutes away, the same piece was $79.00. They way the were both mounted and tagged, indicates to me that the source was likely the same.

Uncle99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/22/2018, 12:58 PM   #12
hkgar
Registered Member

Caveat Emptor!

180 gallon, 40 gallon sump, 3 250 W MH + 4 80W ATI T5's, MTC MVX 36 Skimmer, Apex controller Aquamaxx T-3 CaRx

Current Tank Info: A 2 Barred Rabbitfish, Red Head Salon, Yellow/Purple, McMaster Fairy, Possum, 2 Leopard Wrasses, Kole, & Atlantic Blue Tangs, 2 Percula Clown, 3 PJ and 1 Banggai Cardinalfish , Swallowtail, Bellus and Coral Beauty Angels
hkgar is offline   Reply With Quote