Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Marine Fish Forums > Fish Only & Aggressive Tanks
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 12/20/2017, 03:43 PM   #5726
humaguy
Premium Member

Back to the hybrid, eat your heart out powder blues..btw, powder blues and browns are not tough fish to keep. Always threads about that. They are easy fish to keep if you know what you are doing.

from Rufus, June 2012. she was a tiny and totally adorbs skunk bandit, around the size of a nickel, and full of attitude, but not aggressive. Lol, she may have gained some aggression. Not sure I want Casper and Dash around her.

another beautiful fish, not as secretive and tough to keep, imho

love these guys, they stepped up their mating shennanigans as soon as they saw the flames do it, and have now spawned with the flames, which is insane, think about those babies!

there are 6 of Syd's cb Hawaiian flames in the dt.

one of my favorite fish ever and def a very special fish

much more pedestrian but love this guy too..lol, I dont trust him, not at all, not even a little bit, but I love him.

Last edited by humaguy; 12/20/2017 at 06:39 PM. Reason: because i'm an idiot..
humaguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/20/2017, 04:54 PM   #5727
humaguy
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by humaguy View Post
low light, 40mm. Love that the blue neckband can be seen. This guy is a total stud!

the alpha female, they are stunningly beautiful fish

Hybrid stunner

going on 8 yrs, was smaller than a quarter then and still pretty small, around 3 inches.

p hybrid, it has been interesting to watch her grow. she is a huge fish and apparently needs to get much bigger before going adult. Peter's P. mac is needs to have a sitdown with this lady and tell her to grow-up!

her streamer is around 4 inches long

Last edited by humaguy; 12/20/2017 at 06:52 PM.
Unread 12/20/2017, 06:50 PM   #5728
McPuff
Registered Member

I've never seen an angel with juvenile pattern AND streamer(s)!

And I love those triggers... can't say that enough. Are both of the ones shown above hybrids? Or just the one (R. bursa x ??)?

McPuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/20/2017, 06:52 PM   #5729
humaguy
Premium Member

same fish, a few years ago

Unread 12/20/2017, 07:22 PM   #5730
humaguy
Premium Member

Unread 12/21/2017, 12:23 PM   #5731
humaguy
Premium Member

from yesterday

Unread 12/21/2017, 12:26 PM   #5732
humaguy
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by McPuff View Post
I've never seen an angel with juvenile pattern AND streamer(s)!

And I love those triggers... can't say that enough. Are both of the ones shown above hybrids? Or just the one (R. bursa x ??)?
thanks puff,

lol, that angel is big, looking forward to her continued change, but wish she would pick up the pace a bit.

love the trigs too. 1 is the hybrid/new sp? the other is an assasi trig from the red sea.

Unread 12/21/2017, 02:48 PM   #5733
humaguy
Premium Member

taken with a 35mm. still cant get a great shot of the hybrid.

Unread 12/21/2017, 03:02 PM   #5734
humaguy
Premium Member

Unread 12/21/2017, 11:56 PM   #5735
dodgerblew
Registered Member

Ted, I was always under the impression you couldn't keep multiple centropyge species together. How do you do it?

Obladi Oblada, life goes on Brah!

Current Tank Info: Tankless in TX and watching from the sidelines
dodgerblew is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/23/2017, 05:37 PM   #5736
humaguy
Premium Member

Cool Joe fish year end article, even cooler to see the conspic hybrid take #1.
Top 10 Discoveries of 2017.

Every year brings with it a host of interesting new discoveries when it comes to coral reef fishes, and 2017 certainly had its share. I discussed some of the year’s most exciting new fish species in a previous article, and, for this one, we’ll relive all the interesting interspecies hybrids, phenotypic aberrations, and notable range expansions that were documented for the very first time. As with any top ten list, some notable entries had to be left out, so lets first give honorable mention to some of those who didn’t quite make the cut, like the bicolor Scopas Tang… the faux-Guezei Angelfish… and the Orangefin Powder Brown Tang.

#10) A Swisscave Basslet?!

Credit: Dynasty Marine
Back in March, the world was greeted with the first images of what was reputed to be a hybrid of the Swissguard Basslet (Liopropoma rubre) and the Cave Basslet (L. mowbrayi). These two closely related species coöccur throughout the Caribbean and occupy similar ecological niches, but typically at different depths. So was it an overly adventurous Swissguard Basslet that descended into the dimly lit realm of the Cave Basslet to mate, or was it instead the latter which ascended into the sunny climes of the shallows to spawn with its striped cousin. In either case, the alleged offspring looks shocking like their Pacific congener, Liopropoma colletti. Of course, it’s also possible that this is merely an aberrant L. rubre.

#9) The First Aquarium Signalfish

Credit: Barnett Shutman RVS Fishworld
This wasn’t really a “discovery” per se, but it was certainly a long time coming. It’s difficult to find a group of shallow-water tropical marine fishes which hasn’t already been collected for the aquarium trade, but somehow this seemed to have been the case for the hemerocoetid signalfishes up until February of this year. These small creatures typically reside in mesophotic depths, often in areas that experience relatively strong currents from cool upwellings, making them a chore for divers to capture. The most lovely member in this group is the Midwater Signalfish (Pteropsaron longipinnis), which floats gracefully above the bottom as its exaggerated fins drape through the water. Credit for this find goes to the talented collectors at RVS Fishworld, who found this specimen on the western side of Luzon in the Philippines.

#8) Lamarckispilos Angelfish

Credit: hijo-king / Aquarius Divers
One of the most frequently encountered hybrids among the Swallowtail Angelfishes involves Genicanthus melanospilos X G. lamarckii. Several have found their way into the hands of aquarists over the years, but an especially attractive individual was documented in Cebu by Aquarius Divers. With Genicanthus having been captively bred, perhaps its time aquaculturists turn their attention towards this gorgeous mix?

#7) A New Surgeonfish?

Credit: J.T. Williams / Carpenter et al 2017

Acanthurus is one of the most diverse and abundant groups of coral reef fishes, and, up until February, there hadn’t been a new species described in this genus from the West Pacific since the advent of scuba diving in the 1950’s. Enter the Whitechin Surgeonfish (Acanthurus albimento), an enigmatic taxon described back in February for a half-dozen odd specimens found in fish markets of the Northern Philippines. The authors of this species noted that its DNA didn’t match any existing data sampled from this genus, leading them to the conclusion that this was a novel discovery. But, as I explored in some depth, there is another plausible explanation—this could simply be a hybrid of a known West Pacific species that hasn’t yet been genetically sequenced. The most likely culprit… a female Acanthurus fowleri and a male A. barieni.

#6) A New Stonogobiops… yes, please!

The first good images of this colorful new shrimpgoby appeared courtesy of Simon Buxton and the NAD Dive Resort in Lembeh, Indonesia. Specimens have been repeatedly observed in pairs, which tells us that this is almost certainly a new species and not just a single aberrant or hybrid specimen. It’s most noteworthy features are the black tip to the pelvic fin and the translucent yellow finnage. To date, it’s only in Lembeh that this beautiful Stonogobiops has been encountered, though it must surely range further. The question is, how much further? Is this species genuinely restricted in its distribution, or are we just bad at finding it in the wild?

#5) Hawaiian Ctenochaetus Hybrids

Credit: Zoa Collector (left) & Pacific Island Aquatics (right)
Not one, but two strange bristletooths were chanced upon in the waters of Hawaii. The first, courtesy of Colin at Zoa Collector, appears to be a mix of the endemic Kole Tang (Ctenochaetus strigosus) and its neighbor to the south, Polynesia’s Whitetail Tang (C. flavicauda). The latter has never been documented before in the Hawaiian Archipelago, making this an important addition to our understanding of how fish colonize this isolated island chain. The other find, acquired by Pacific Island Aquatics, is potentially a Kole X Chevron Tang (C. hawaiiensis). These two species are both native to Hawaii’s waters, but, for whatever reason, hybrids were seemingly unknown until now. Alas, with aquarium collection no longer allowed in the region, it’s become less likely that we’ll see more of these interesting fishes for the time being.

#4) First Ever Latezonatus Hybrid

Australia has a pair of unique subtropical anemonefish lineages along its eastern shores, and, for the first time, a hybrid between them was documented and exported into the aquarium trade. The Akindynos Anemonefish (Amphiprion akindynos) is an abundant species in New South Wales, and hybrids of it have been reported before with the Great Barrier Reef’s still undescribed variant of the Amphiprion clarkii complex, as well as the closely related Lord Howe Anemonefish (A. mccullochi). On the other hand, the distantly related Wideband Anemonefish (A. latezonatus) has never been known to interbreed within its genus, making this an especially juicy find. Rare fish collector Chung Wing Hung was fortunate enough to snag this one of a kind specimen and kindly shared the video seen here.

#3) The First Photographed Leopard Wrasse Hybrid

Credit: James Xie / Red Heart King Aquarium
Coral reef labrids seem to be especially prone to producing interesting hybrids, but, strangely, this hasn’t been the case for the leopard wrasse genus Macropharyngodon. To date, the only published images of a hybrid from this group appeared earlier this year from Hong Kong’s Red Heart King Aquarium. This specimen originated from Kenya and appears to involve two species endemic to the Western Indian Ocean… Vivien’s Leopard Wrasse (Macropharyngodon vivienae) and the Splendid Leopard Wrasse (Macropharyngodon bipartitus).

#2) Lanceolatus Fairy Wrasse In The Philippines!

Credit: Barnett Shutman / RVS Fishworld
Among fairy wrasse enthusiasts, Cirrhilabrus lanceolatus is a legendary and nearly unattainable species. Fully grown specimens are enormous fishes, with mature males developing an extraordinary elongation to the caudal fin, which gives this species its name. Prior to this year, this piscine holy grail had only been reported from the deeper reefs of Japan, and then RVS Fishworld surprised the world by successfully hauling up four specimens from a staggering 200 feet deep. These were found at Scarborough Shoal, an isolated sunken atoll to the west of Luzon that has only recently been opened up to aquarium collection. Aside from this wrasse, these reefs also yielded an impressive trove of Xanthichthys triggerfishes, including what may or may not be the first documented juvenile of the Goldenback Triggerfish (X. caeruleolineatus).

#1) The Bluespicuous AngelfishThe captive breeding of marine fishes has advanced dramatically in recent years, and it seems like every few months brings with it the announcement of some new and exciting species that has been captively bred and made commercially available for the first time. Poma Labs is an exciting new venture from the braintrust of noted aquaculturist Dr. Matt Wittenrich and Piscine Energetic’s Nuri Fisher, and they made waves at this year’s MACNA with the introduction of several new captively bred Chaetodontoplus angelfishes. Among these was the famed Conspicuous Angelfish (C. conspicillatus), a South Pacific rarity that is among the ultimate trophy fishes within the aquarium trade.

But what’s even rarer is the first ever hybrid of the Conspic and its equally gorgeous cousin, the Blueline Angelfish (C. septentrionalis). This is an artificial pairing in every sense of the word, as these two fishes would never encounter one another in the wild. Fortunately, this specimen found its way into the hands of aquarist Ted Krupman, who has been keeping us all updated on its progress. So far, there are some encouraging traces of the Conspic’s blue facial markings beginning to poke through, but no sign as of yet of any blue lines along the body. Stay tuned in 2018 for more on this incredible angelfish…

As of Dec 21, 2017. Credit: Ted Krupman

Unread 12/23/2017, 05:50 PM   #5737
humaguy
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dodgerblew View Post
Ted, I was always under the impression you couldn't keep multiple centropyge species together. How do you do it?
I am not sure I do anything special or different.
Here is what I try and do:
The most important step is a really long qt. I cant stress this enough
Adding haremic fish or if trying to pair, do it together and early on in qt
Lots of pvc in qt
Low lights in qt and dt
Lots of feedings in qt and dt
Lots of water changes in qt and dt- qt often every 2 weeks, dt every 4 weeks
Always have a plan B that can go into effect in seconds (probably the 2nd most important step)
and luck always helps, lol

Unread 12/24/2017, 12:18 PM   #5738
kryzzystuff
Registered Member

The fish are looking great as always, Ted!

Are your interrupta still around? Definitely a bucket list fish for me!

kryzzystuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/29/2017, 01:33 PM   #5739
HiImSean
Registered Member

Did you hybrid angel have a yellow bar about 3/4 way towards its caudal fin? I volunteer at the GA Aquarium and we've got a hand full of angels for about a year now and they're showing a lot of the same characteristics as yours did/does, mainly the yellow in the caudal fin and along the edge of the dorsal fin, which is also starting to grow a long streamer. I'm not overly familiar with larger angel fish, especially juveniles. They were suppose to be captive bred. I'll try to grab some pictures Sunday when I'm in again.

HiImSean is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/29/2017, 05:01 PM   #5740
humaguy
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HiImSean View Post
Did you hybrid angel have a yellow bar about 3/4 way towards its caudal fin? I volunteer at the GA Aquarium and we've got a hand full of angels for about a year now and they're showing a lot of the same characteristics as yours did/does, mainly the yellow in the caudal fin and along the edge of the dorsal fin, which is also starting to grow a long streamer. I'm not overly familiar with larger angel fish, especially juveniles. They were suppose to be captive bred. I'll try to grab some pictures Sunday when I'm in again.
hey sean,

lol, killer place to volunteer, well played!
that must be incredible. anything really cool happening research wise?
what fish are in your tank that gave the babies? if captive bred, do you know the parents? pics would be great. You are talking about the large semi angel? blue with white stripeish, lol??

thanks for reading..

tk

Unread 12/29/2017, 05:13 PM   #5741
humaguy
Premium Member

the lack of pics and content in this room is sad to see.
lol, some bad pics with a big stupid lens...
casper- cb by Karen

dash- cb by Karen

6 year old, raised from a tiny skunk, collected by Rufus

Unread 12/29/2017, 06:00 PM   #5742
humaguy
Premium Member

another great pic taken by yours truly, lol...ugh

blondie- she is cb from a pair of flamebacks that I sent to Karen for breeding. She is the only one. Blondie is roughly the same age as the Gp, which will be 4 years old in March. Blondie came with the the Gp in June of 2014. She was tiny but bigger than the Gp back then.

This guy and these 2 beautiful females need more space. I still think the alpha female is going to go male the first chance she gets. It will be interesting to watch.

Blondie and one of syd's cb Hawaiian Flames.

One of Syd's cb hawaiian flames crushing the looks dept.

Unread 12/29/2017, 06:19 PM   #5743
humaguy
Premium Member

Blondie, gp, and cb hawaiian

she is really a very beautiful fish

Last edited by humaguy; 12/29/2017 at 06:25 PM. Reason: I felt like I had to say something nice about p hybrid
Unread 12/30/2017, 11:05 AM   #5744
JamesHolt
Registered Member

Nice looking one there...

This one looks better every time...

Current Tank Info: 29g with 2 Engineer gobies
JamesHolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/30/2017, 12:31 PM   #5745
HiImSean
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by humaguy View Post
hey sean,

lol, killer place to volunteer, well played!
that must be incredible. anything really cool happening research wise?
what fish are in your tank that gave the babies? if captive bred, do you know the parents? pics would be great. You are talking about the large semi angel? blue with white stripeish, lol??

thanks for reading..

tk
It’s pretty fun there. I help work with the tropical diver crew so their reef exhibits and some cold water stuff. They’ve been trying to grow some Caribbean stuff they collected during the spawn this past summer.

The angels I believe are suppose to be emperors but like I said their dorsal is getting quite long. They are blue and white with the yellow in their caudal and dorsal fins.

HiImSean is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/30/2017, 12:38 PM   #5746
humaguy
Premium Member

some last pics for 2017

Jim- I love the lunula too, but this one is neurotic. Months ago I tried to add her to the dt and the rhinecanthus hybrid was not pleased, and sadly, the lunula was as dumb as a rock as didnt hide but made herself a target for the hybrid. So, I pulled her and added the smaller assasi to the dt. The hubrid wasnt thrilled with that either but the assasi is a savvy little fish and hid immed. The 2 trigs now accept each other, but who know what tomorrow may bring, lol, hmmm, maybe a lionfish

Unread 12/30/2017, 12:46 PM   #5747
humaguy
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HiImSean View Post
It’s pretty fun there. I help work with the tropical diver crew so their reef exhibits and some cold water stuff. They’ve been trying to grow some Caribbean stuff they collected during the spawn this past summer.

The angels I believe are suppose to be emperors but like I said their dorsal is getting quite long. They are blue and white with the yellow in their caudal and dorsal fins.
So cool! Could be emps. Emperors from the Pacific have a long dorsal filament, while those from the Indian Ocean and the Red Sea have rounded soft dorsal fins, without filaments. Those around Xmas Island in the Pacific seem to also not have filament. Try and get some pics. Are they selling the offspring?

Unread 12/30/2017, 02:56 PM   #5748
JamesHolt
Registered Member

Would love to have one of these, the patterns on it are just unreal...

Current Tank Info: 29g with 2 Engineer gobies
JamesHolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/30/2017, 04:30 PM   #5749
humaguy
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesHolt View Post

Would love to have one of these, the patterns on it are just unreal...
Rhinecanthus lunula, often avail

Unread 12/30/2017, 04:31 PM   #5750
humaguy
Premium Member