Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > New to the Hobby
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 01/22/2018, 08:17 PM   #1
avery155
Registered Member

Pistol shrimp and Yellow Watchman Goby

So I added a YWG about a week and a half ago, four days later I added a pistol shrimp. The goby for the last 3 days has gotten brave and no longer hides. Stays out and is eating well. The night I put the shrimp in it immediately started excavating, found it buried in sand the next morning.

Since then no sight of the shrimp. Are they normally nocturnal or still acclimating to the time zone? My fear is the goby not finding the shrimp, some places say they will find each other, others say you should only get them already paired up.

Any insight? I tried putting a piece of mysis in a suspected entrance to the shrimps hole to entice it out, but that didn't work.

avery155 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/23/2018, 07:24 AM   #2
oldhead
Registered Member

I added a pistol shrimp 2 weeks ago, my watchman I've had for 2 years. Haven't seen the shrimp since I've added him. Watchman is always in and out of his spots. Not sure how long it will take before I see the shrimp since he was only about an inch long. My watchman is about 3 inches.

oldhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/23/2018, 07:48 AM   #3
Jekerry
Registered Member

I only see my shrimps atennas when they poke up threw the rock work. His first goby died and the second one now hangs at his cave entrance. I don’t think the pistol shrimp come out of the rock work. They have bad eyesight I have been told so they hide and let the goby be their eyes. I have heard him on occasion.

Jekerry is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/23/2018, 12:39 PM   #4
Sk8r
RC Mod

They may have moved (temporarily) way back in the rockwork and you may not see them for a while. As in a month or so. But they'll move around, month to month, eventually choosing front and center once they feel safe.

Salinity 1.024-6; alkalinity 8.3-9.3 on KH scale; calcium 420; magnesium 1300, temp 78-80, nitrate .2. Ammonia 0. No filters: lps tank. Alk and cal won't rise if mg is low.

Current Tank Info: 105g AquaVim wedge, yellow tang, sailfin blenny,royal gramma, ocellaris clown pair, yellow watchman, 100 microceriths, 25 tiny hermits, a 4" conch, 1" nassarius, recovering from 2 year hiatus with daily water change of 10%.
Sk8r is offline   Reply With Quote