Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Special Interest Group (SIG) Forums > Large Reef Tanks
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 09/04/2018, 07:49 PM   #1
MadModder
Registered Member

210 Oceanic missing some bottom trim. Good or bad?

Hello everybody, newbie here. Sorry if this is in the wrong subforum. If it is, please tell me where to repost it.

I got a 210 (I believe Oceanic) tank for free a few weeks ago. Military friend was moving and did not want to take it with him so he put it up for free.

As the title states, its is missing a piece of the bottom trim. Its 7'x2'x2' and one of the 2' sections is missing. I saw it when I picked it up but didn't think much of it and figured it could be easily replaced. I went to my LFS to look for it and was told by the employees that it cannot be replaced because nobody sells them seperately and without the original trim, the tank will blow out if I fill it with water. Its just that crucial.

Did some searching and found conflicting answers. Seems some in the hobby believe its nothing to worry about and to "just pick ip some moulding at HomeDepot". I've read statements on tank company websites that claim it is only for manufacturing purposes (to help them square up the tank) and applies very little structural integrity.

My friend had it running for 2 or 3 years with no issue.

So whats a guy to do?
Can I get some regular moulding from Home Depot or Lowes?
Should I make my own with hard wood or steel?

Thanks in advance.

MadModder is offline   Reply With Quote