Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Lighting, Filtration & Other Equipment
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 12/03/2008, 05:00 PM   #626
customcolor
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by juliovideo
Excellent thread SantaMonica !! ..............

------------------
he cant hear you cuz he was paned from rc

customcolor is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/05/2008, 12:25 AM   #627
manuelink
Registered Member

i´m with santa monica and im sure that he will know about who is with him!
thank you for bring us your knowledge
this filter must be named Santa Monica in spite of algae scrubber!!

Current Tank Info: 45 gallons with sump of 10gallons
manuelink is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/05/2008, 09:31 AM   #628
Eduardo B
Registered Member

"Santa Monica thanks for your research work in this hobby."
Excellent thread!!!

Eduardo B is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/05/2008, 09:58 AM   #629
Michael
NTTH Rookie Help

whats the point of this, if you have some more info to add to the thread then lets see it, sm isnt posting anymore so whats with the fan club now months later, why dont you google his name and join 1 of the other 60 sites hes a member of where he shows the same messages and info as here, you can always congratulate him there, good luck, also it cant be called the santa monica scrubber as it belongs to dr adey, heres a copy of his patent, try thanking him

http://patft.uspto.gov/netacgi/nph-P...crubber%22&OS=

MY Very Kindest and Warmest Regards ,
MIKE

Current Tank Info: I have a 92 gal Corner Tank, and way too many pieces of equipment to list really, (proud member of the reef central corner club)
Michael is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/05/2008, 03:18 PM   #630
GoBigOrGoHome
Registered Member

Wow. He has quite the loyal following. A bit ridiculous. I gotta hand it to him, he was extremely zealous about getting the word out, and I'm probably going to try it, but that has nothing to do with him, really. Conceptually an ATS can be an extremely efficient, though somewhat high maintenance filter. It doesn't matter if he's the first person you heard it from. It wasn't his idea. Props to him for making a couple modifications to it that make it run less efficiently though. Nice job.
The most efficient way to run an ATS was discovered years ago, and now it's been modified to run more conveniently and less efficiently. Wonderful.

Current Tank Info: 15 tanks of varying sizes, 8-110 gal, 11 fresh, 4 salt
GoBigOrGoHome is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/05/2008, 06:24 PM   #631
onetrickpony
Premium Member

Wow an egomaniac, good thing we never see that often in reef keeping or on web forums

An idea is an idea, is an idea, we are all trying to copy something that works

:

onetrickpony is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/06/2008, 07:49 AM   #632
reefworldaq
Registered Member

hai everyone, in here i don't find the screen grid, can i use the 1 mm acrylic and make a lot of hole. thank's

reefworldaq is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/06/2008, 09:21 AM   #633
Bonneville08
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by reefworldaq
hai everyone, in here i don't find the screen grid, can i use the 1 mm acrylic and make a lot of hole. thank's
Hi,
Can you find fiberglass window screen? You could also use the acrylic without drilling the holes. Just use sand paper to roughen the acrylic surface to allow the algae to stick.
God luck

Check out my gallery if you desire.

Current Tank Info: 50 gallon mix of soft, LPS and SPS, two croceas, two maximas, a few fish, turf filter with skimmer, MH and PC lighting, chiller, Calcium Reactor and wave2k.
Bonneville08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/06/2008, 12:15 PM   #634
das75
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Michael
whats the point of this, if you have some more info to add to the thread then lets see it, sm isnt posting anymore so whats with the fan club now months later, why dont you google his name and join 1 of the other 60 sites hes a member of where he shows the same messages and info as here, you can always congratulate him there, good luck, also it cant be called the santa monica scrubber as it belongs to dr adey, heres a copy of his patent, try thanking him

http://patft.uspto.gov/netacgi/nph-P...crubber%22&OS=

good on SM for promoting but credit should go where it's due.

das75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/08/2008, 01:38 PM   #635
gwrulzmylife
Awaiting Email Confirmation

Inland aquatics still has the algae and screens available. They use "algae screws" I believe, but the process is the same.

gwrulzmylife is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/02/2009, 07:42 PM   #636
herring_fish
Crazy Designer

No one has anything to say since SM left?

herring_fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/25/2009, 05:07 PM   #637
CLINTOS
Moved On

Here's a sneak peak of a design I copied it will be in a acrylic box
approx 24"Lx12"Hx4"W and light's will be approx 2 1/2" from screen

I'll be installing it as the only filtration on my 90G/25G sump besides a phosban reactor with carbon and critters etc of all kind's
as a natural scavenger filter

Will also dose approx 5 cups daily of phytoplankton using a drip and have a small to medium fish load and large coral load

A.T.S for me is probably the best thing for what I am planning because I want to keep the light frosting I get on my glass from dosing large amount's of phyto off the glass and on a screen that I can periodicaly just scrap off weekly

all the while I want to keep in the phytoplankton and not suck out the food that feeds my critter's/coral's

screen x3: approx 22"Lx8"H

pump: 750gph

light: dual t5-h.o approx 2700K-3000K

dual 2" return bulkheads

I'll be finishing it off on October first when my phytoplankton station is complete and copepod,crustacean,sponge etc natural filter is up to par

acrylic box is all I have to complete I'll get it all pre cut and glue it myself later

Last edited by CLINTOS; 08/25/2009 at 05:25 PM.
CLINTOS is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/06/2009, 12:49 AM   #638
Joekneebone
Registered Member

CLINTOS, How is everything going? Have you got it setup yet?

Joekneebone is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/13/2009, 10:50 AM   #639
Zire
Moved On

I'm preparing to add a ATS to my 95 gallon tank shortly(I'll post before and after pictures assuming I'm not too lazy/have the time). I'm not at all ready to ditch my skimmer, which has served me well, but this D.I.Y seems safe, cheap and appears to have good potential for N and P reduction.

Anyways though, the real purpose of this post is to show you guys a tank, which I dare say appears Reef Central T.O.T.M quality, based completely around an ATS, and completely devoid of a protien skimmer. I'm not here to preach, but this should at least serve as evidence that this system can be used to create a beautiful system. So, without further adieu-

http://www.marineaquariumsa.com/showthread.php?t=12182

Last edited by Zire; 10/13/2009 at 10:57 AM.
Zire is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/13/2009, 12:01 PM   #640
Paul B
Premium Member

I must admit that I did not read all 28 pages of this thread but I did see some algae scrubber designs on here.
Any algae scrubber will be a benefit to our water. Algae is the best way we have to remove nutrients, even better than water changes because algae also put some things back into the water. No, I don't kniow what that is but from experience I can say that whenever my tank has had an algae cycle, the inhabitants looked better.
Anyway, I like algae. Today I ran my hand through my algae trough and came up with this.
Yes, disquesting, I know, but it only grows in the trough (or tray)
One big benefit of an algae scrubber (or trough) is that we are forcing algae to grow where we want it and not on our corals. It grows on all healthy reefs in the sea and if no algae is growing in your system, then I feel you have a problem. Thats just me though.
I want it growing in my system, but not where I can see it.
My system works for free and costs less than $10.00 to build but you do need room for it above the water. It will work anywhere but I want the waste lighting in the tank to power it as well as the outflow of the skimmer. It is a no maintenance, free, system that I find, works. As I said, any algae system is better than none.

Current Tank Info: 100 gal reef set up in 1971
Paul B is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/14/2009, 04:16 PM   #641
tabwyo
Premium Member

I have always wanted to expand my filtraton capabilities with a ATS but never had the room in my current 3 bedroom residence (2 kids). My wife and I are in the process of closing on a two story 5 bedroom house. 1 of the lower level rooms has be designated "my fish room". I can plumb through the wall and have my display tank in the living area and all the noisey stuff in the next room.

I want to run a ATS for the simple fact that I can, it won't harm my system and the fact that I'd derive some sick enjoyment out of building/mainaining it. If it helps control aglae in the display, all the better. If it helps provide live food to the display, great.

The idea is to run both return and drain pipes on my Oceanic 70TRR as drains. Route the overflow from the former "return line" to gravity feed to the ATS. Most likely a trough style lit with a standard 48" two bulb shop light with 6500k bulbs. Which will then dump to a 20g refugium. The refugium, lit with only ambient light, will drain to the return sump. By loose calculations I'd be processing about 40% of the display through the "biologic" side. The other 60% coming from the actual overflow will dump into an elevated 15g "skimmer" tank through a 100 micron filter sock. The skimmer tank will also house a two stage fluidized carbon filter. The skimmer tank will gravity feed to the return tank. The retrun tank will be baffled to recive the output from the bio-side and the mech-side at opposite ends. Standard weir setup to eliminate bubbles. The return compartment will be halved and each will house it's own return pump. The "segregation" baffle will be cut a 1/2 inch higher the operating, auto topoff maintained, running fluid level. With both pumps running the bio-side and mech-side filtered water won't mingle until in the display. If either pump craps out the fluid level will rise in that side and over to the working pumps side. Mech-side return will also pass through a UV unit. Both returns will run through their own OM 4way and be plumbed over the top of the aquarium through the wall.

Sounds a ton more complicate then how I have it planned out in my head.

Current Tank Info: 70 gallon LPS/SPS/shroom/leather 29g seahorse barn

Last edited by tabwyo; 10/14/2009 at 04:22 PM.
tabwyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/15/2009, 10:20 AM   #642
jauld
Registered Member

here are some pics of the one I built. works like a charm =)

*edit* This scrubber was built from seeing Santa Monica's build thread on reefsanctuary message boards. Awesome guy and really knows his stuff about these filters

N and P have been 0 since installation. This is the only filtration I have on my aquarium and I do a 20% water change monthly. this one has been running for nearly 3 months now with 0 problems.

When I first set this model up, I accidentally used a metal nozzle (you can see it in one of the above pics) that released some bad metals into the aquarium and I lost a frogspawn. After that, I changed out the nozzle and did an 80% water change. been fine ever since.

Before I installed this, my tank was COMPLETELY filled with algae (almost no rock visible). I let this thing run and after about 6 weeks, the algae started to thin and die in the DT. Then, at 8 weeks, I took the rock out piece by piece and scrubbed all the remaining algae off. 0 algae growth since that in the DT, but the screen grows a TON. I have before and afters pics if you really want to see.

I found that the DT will start getting cloudy after about 2-3 weeks IF i don't scrub the algae off the screen every 7-10 days. This is because so much algae is growing on the screen that when it starts to get thick, the algae underneath doesn't get any light and starts to die, releasing the stuff that makes the water quality suffer. However, as long as I clean the screen 3 times a month (takes 3-5 min), the water stays clear as day. This thing is such low maint. and is the sole reason i'm still in this hobby. I was planning to quit since I couldnt get the algae growth under control.

Last edited by jauld; 10/15/2009 at 10:27 AM.
jauld is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/16/2009, 09:31 PM   #643
Zire
Moved On

Very cool, I see your tank is not spotless as far as algae grows, are you planning on adding more coral now?

Zire is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/29/2009, 07:14 PM   #644
reeformadness
Registered Member

very cool

reeformadness is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/01/2010, 09:58 PM   #645
Diver Dan SD
Registered Member

Are there any NICE tanks that run this?
Algae free tanks are great, but what I, and a lot of others, are looking for is SPS color that if held to some of these claims of zero phosphates, should rival zeovit and other ULN systems. I've seen a lot of buckets with lights in them, but no real results.
Make me a believer
Trever

Diver Dan SD is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/02/2010, 06:11 AM   #646
hottuna
Registered Member

I wish this thread along with santamonica would continue to build here on r/c...but people got a little carried away and it got ugly...so a great idea is no longer being discussed here...

Unread 03/05/2010, 11:24 PM   #647
vitz
Moved On

someone endlessly repeating that an idea is 'great' doesn't make it so :P

a question:

if the same resujlts or better (usually far better) can be acheived without all of that time and trouble, then why even bother ?

vitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/10/2010, 01:59 PM   #648
Floyd R Turbo
Either busy or sleeping

I think it is a great idea. That is my opinion. I built my own and am designing 2 others. I haven't read all of this thread, but I don't really need to, it's just the same as all the other threads.

As for the 'time and trouble' I really fail to see that point, and I've seen it on many posts on many forums by many people. Since I installed by first one, the ONLY thing I've done to it is clean the screen once a week and it takes 20-25 minutes. I've got some modifications and tweaks to make, but I expected that being my first attempt.

This is my scrubber

And this is what my screen looks like every week before I clean it.

And that's only 4 weeks old. 20-25 minutes from pump off to pump on.

I see all the threads started 8/08 and ending a month later and I think it's sad. Sad because Santa Monica didn't do a good job at responding to people in a way that didn't inflame them to fight back and maybe shift his methodology of communicating his ideas, and sad because so many people seem to be completely closed-minded to the idea, or maybe ticked off at his personality to the point where there was no way they were going to try it and find out how well it actually works.

Floyd R Turbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/10/2010, 06:12 PM   #649
erics3000
Registered Member

Why dont you guys open a new thread about up and running turf filters and blow off the bs..

(Red House for my 300 display 600 system)

Current Tank Info: 600 gallon system with 300 display
erics3000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/10/2010, 06:55 PM   #650
digitalchrisg
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Floyd R Turbo View Post
This is my scrubber

That looks great, I am trying to plan mine out right now and test how it works. Just trying to figure out what I want to do size wise. Do you have much salt creep with this system?

Current Tank Info: 330 gal, 55 gal, and sumps/refugium
digitalchrisg is offline   Reply With Quote