Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Do It Yourself
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 09/26/2007, 11:05 AM   #76
BlakDuc
Fragger

I got a little more plumbing done. I can't finish it until I get the pumps, skimmer, and filter sock holder next week. A buddy of mine told me that he has some almost new Panworld pumps for sale for $100 each. I am going to pick 2 of them up. I wanted to run more through the closed loop, but these are much better pumps than I was going to buy. I might have to do some eductors or something to make up for the gph loss.
BTW, one of the returns is going to feed the skimmer.

I had to get creative and save about $25 on the closed loop intakes. Here is what I came up with.

I am sure it has been done before, but I think it will work out great. I will be able to paint them black and use PVC glue to glue them right to the bulkheads. That is it for now, I have to go get ready for work in a little while.

Current Tank Info: IM Fusion 40
BlakDuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/26/2007, 11:22 AM   #77
ArizonaReefer
And Now a FloridaReefer

I like the progress that you have made, I'm so iching to get started on a stand but the tank won't be in for a few weeks and I don't want something to be off a half inch this way or that way.

Nice drill job on the intake, I think you may have missed a spot though, just kidding

ArizonaReefer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/26/2007, 11:29 AM   #78
BlakDuc
Fragger

I started my stand without the tanks, but a friend has one and I asked him for "very precise dimensions." When I got the tanks, everything fit like a glove. Thanks for the compliments.

Unread 09/27/2007, 07:21 PM   #79
ShootMe
Registered Member

Very nice, how many gph do you plan on running through the sump and the closed loop?

Unread 09/27/2007, 07:39 PM   #80
BlakDuc
Fragger

About 5-600 through the sump, about 1000 through the C/L. maybe a little less depending on weather I can get the new impellor for the panworld pump. If I can't, it will be about 800 through the C/L. I got some work done on the MH lighting last night. I will get some pics up tomorrow when I get the bulbs and see if they fire. Fingers crossed, it is my first time messing with any ballast stuff. I had to google and see which wire in the outlet was the hot and which is the common. I am such a noob. Hope for the best tomorrow, I will for sure have a fire extingiusher on standby in the garage when I do it.

Unread 09/27/2007, 08:39 PM   #81
MrMexReefer
Moved On

Man this thing is sweet. I cant wait to see it full of water! I think im going to have to duck out of the tour... something came up. However, I can meet you at the first stop if you want the pumps... let me know Joemie.

MrMexReefer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/27/2007, 08:56 PM   #82
BlakDuc
Fragger

Juan, PM sent. Water will probably be in around the 15th. Still on target for that date. I have gotten a lot of work done so far, and I should get quite a bit done this weekend if nothing comes up.

Unread 09/28/2007, 03:40 PM   #83
BlakDuc
Fragger

Let there be light!

I have 1 of the ballasts wired and ready to rock and roll. I need to get another extension cord so I can wire in the other one. This is my first experience with MH lighting, man these things do get hot!

I bought these 2 bulbs new off a lady in the area for $30. I am also going to get 2 10k Reeflux bulbs and see which pair I like better. I still need to get the reflectors also. If nothing else, I will have a backup pair/replacement pair. I will also have 2x39 T5 to supplement for actinic.

I got the epoxy paint for the inside of the stand and canopy. I can't get it done tonight because I gotta get to sleep pretty soon so I can work all night. I tested an area on the canopy and I think it is going to work great. Here is the stuff I got.

Tomorrow I am going to be going on a LFS tour, so I won't get much of anything done tomorrow. I might do something on it after I get back, but I doubt it. I am not going to get to sleep tomorrow before the tour, an it is going to be an all day thing.

Stay tuned, things are starting to go pretty fast now, you definatly don't want to miss out.

Unread 09/29/2007, 09:49 AM   #84
goalieman92
Registered Member

Don't touch the bulbs!!!

I got a retrofit setup from a fellow reefer and he gave me some 20k's which were already in the setup and some 10k's. I turned it on to see what they looked like for not but 1 minute, then I went to change em to see what the 10k's looked like and and burned my fingers pretty bad.

goalieman92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/29/2007, 04:44 PM   #85
lilchris
Premium Member

I know its a little late but when you made the overflow box, did you just cut a slot out of the tank wall so the water will drain into the overflow box? Also did you just use silicone to hold everything together?

lilchris is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/29/2007, 08:30 PM   #86
BlakDuc
Fragger

I just ran my hands over the bulbs about an inch away after they got warmed up. When I switched them, I let them cool for a few minutes then used a clean rag over them to unscrew them.

For the weir that was cut in the back of the tank what I did was this. I measured everything out so that the weir is 1/8" above where the bottom of the trim sits. I had to notch out the trim. Then I used some spring clamps to hold my straightedge where I wanted the bottom of the weir to be. I then took my 45mm diamond hole saw and cut the corners so that it is round and not just square corners. I then chucked a diamond bit in my dremel and went to town going across the bottom of the weir. This part took for-------ever. Probably an hour with a couple of smoke breaks. I started rushing at 1 point and we actually chipped a pretty good chip out of it. It is ok though, it didn't crack the pane and it will be covered with acrylic. The box I had cut out by a glass shop. I brought it home, drilled the holes and siliconed it together. After it cured for a day, I siliconed it to the tank. Iny more questions, don't hesitate to ask.

Unread 10/01/2007, 11:00 AM   #87
BlakDuc
Fragger

Don't think that my lack of posting means that I haven't gotten any work done. I got the inside of the stand painted, I have it all sanded except the outsides of the doors(the paint is drying on the insides right now). When I get home from work tonight, I am going to put the first coat of finish on the stand and the canopy. I have all of the materials to do the tile, plumbing, and some other stuff. I have to go find somewhere to get the glass for the sump baffles. I also got the other ballast wired in and checked for the MH. Both bulbs light! I am going to try to make it over to Aqua Cave on Wednesday to get the rest of the big stuff. We are almost done! Excitement brewing!

Unread 10/01/2007, 04:05 PM   #88
BlakDuc
Fragger

Why did I get moved to DIY section?

Unread 10/01/2007, 05:31 PM   #89
bues0022
Registered Member

maybe because you're doing it all yourself? The build threads probably need their own forum because they seem to be scattered all over the place. I'm still tagging along watching the progress.

bues0022 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/01/2007, 05:56 PM   #90
BlakDuc
Fragger

The large tank forum is full of build threads. Thats why I put mine in the Nano forum. Oh well, whatever.

Unread 10/01/2007, 05:59 PM   #91
spscrackhead
Registered Member

for the cl drain thingys you made. i would get those caps that you already got but instead of drilling holes in them i would cut some lines in them. would look better and be less restrictive

Unread 10/01/2007, 06:32 PM   #92
BlakDuc
Fragger

As far as surface area, the small holes equal more area than the 1" line it feeds to. Also, there are 2 inputs feeding 1 line. They will be painted black and match the black background. You wont even notice they are there. Thanks for the input though.

Unread 10/01/2007, 10:45 PM   #93
nanokiper
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by GrandeGixxer
I got a little more plumbing done. I can't finish it until I get the pumps, skimmer, and filter sock holder next week. A buddy of mine told me that he has some almost new Panworld pumps for sale for $100 each. I am going to pick 2 of them up. I wanted to run more through the closed loop, but these are much better pumps than I was going to buy. I might have to do some eductors or something to make up for the gph loss.
BTW, one of the returns is going to feed the skimmer.

I had to get creative and save about $25 on the closed loop intakes. Here is what I came up with.

I am sure it has been done before, but I think it will work out great. I will be able to paint them black and use PVC glue to glue them right to the bulkheads. That is it for now, I have to go get ready for work in a little while.
Nice tank, got similar plumbing design for CLM. Manofold piping however consumes more electrical power than the simple tunze pump. Goodluck

DIY full auto controller- cooling fans and lights
DIY cc skimmer, 3’ high 4” dia.
DIY auto top off
DIY kalk reactor
DIY cooler- drip type with pads

Current Tank Info: 30 gallon LSP-SPS tank
nanokiper is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/02/2007, 05:17 AM   #94
BlakDuc
Fragger

I live in Military housing so I don't care how much elec I burn up. I just dont want any powerheads or anything inside the main tank.

Unread 10/02/2007, 09:32 PM   #95
jcpatella
Premium Member

Looks good so far - this is exactly how I plan on doing my next setup (whenever I can save enough to start it). Three sides viewable - nice.

Current Tank Info: Biocube 8 on the way!
jcpatella is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/03/2007, 11:19 AM   #96
BlakDuc
Fragger

The next update will be shocking! I don't want to give up any more info. SUSPENSE......

Unread 10/03/2007, 01:52 PM   #97
jcpatella
Premium Member

You didn't switch to freshwater, did you? THAT would be shocking.

Current Tank Info: Biocube 8 on the way!
jcpatella is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/03/2007, 03:09 PM   #98
BlakDuc
Fragger

H3LL NO. We will put it this way, I have spent a lot of money this week. My wife might not be around to enjoy the tank

Unread 10/03/2007, 07:11 PM   #99
lilchris
Premium Member

Can't wait to see. I think you have some goodies, Live goodies.

lilchris is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/03/2007, 08:01 PM   #100
BlakDuc
Fragger

My wife is definatly talking about leaving after I told her how much I spent last night. She is talking also about purchasing a sledge hammer. :O She is not happy, so I will have to limit the time spent until I can get on her good graces again. I have to go make a pick up at Aqua Cave tomorrow morning though.