Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Lighting, Filtration & Other Equipment
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 11/11/2010, 01:31 AM   #651
celano
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Floyd R Turbo View Post
Hows the stink factor? Is this the kinda setup you could put under your stand or do you need a dedicated room in your house for this type of setup?

Current tank info: The space between what's wrong and right.
celano is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/11/2010, 07:45 PM   #652
matt & pam
Registered Member

My scrubber is an eco-wheel, and it sits next to the tank. Aroma is not an issue, assuming regular harvesting.

matt & pam is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/12/2010, 03:32 PM   #653
miwoodar
Likey the bikey

Quote:
I think it is a great idea. That is my opinion. I built my own and am designing 2 others. I haven't read all of this thread, but I don't really need to, it's just the same as all the other threads.

I see all the threads started 8/08 and ending a month later and I think it's sad. Sad because Santa Monica didn't do a good job at responding to people in a way that didn't inflame them to fight back and maybe shift his methodology of communicating his ideas, and sad because so many people seem to be completely closed-minded to the idea, or maybe ticked off at his personality to the point where there was no way they were going to try it and find out how well it actually works.
If you would have read the thread rather than skip to the photos, you might have noticed that a lot of those 'closed-minded' people had tried ATS systems in the past.

He spammed the internet with dozens of copies of this thread - that's one of the other reasons people got angry.

I learned a lot from my ATS days. I'm sure you will too. When you take a photo of the screen, feel free to include a shot of the tank as well.

On hiatus. I'm either out riding my bicycle, playing with my family, or throwing ferts in my planted tank. Or working. I hope I'm not doing that though.

Current Tank Info: 140 DIY Cube
miwoodar is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/12/2010, 04:52 PM   #654
Jstdv8
Registered Member

I have a scrubber on my tank going on 4 months now without a skimmer, everything is better than its ever been.
Loads of copepods
PH is steady day and night at 8.3-8.4
nitrates and phos have been undetectable for the last 2 months.
All the hair algae in my DT is all gone
And I feed alot because I can now.
IMO Its the single greatest piece of equipment I have in my tank.

Jstdv8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/12/2010, 05:09 PM   #655
herring_fish
Crazy Designer

I certainly understand that your pH stays steady but what keeps it high? Are you dosing or is that uptake of CO2 keeping it elevated by it self?

herring_fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/12/2010, 05:37 PM   #656
widmer
Drug Enthusiast

Yes this thread is full of

And there seem to be algae scrubber threads sprinkled around the forum.

The good news is that we have an ATS thread going in the DIY forum with some really high quality commentary and more of a but not necessarily tone:

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/sh....php?t=1925996

widmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/13/2010, 06:48 PM   #657
miwoodar
Likey the bikey

Quote:
Originally Posted by widmer View Post
The good news is that we have an ATS thread going in the DIY forum with some really high quality commentary and more of a but not necessarily tone:
Glad to hear.

On hiatus. I'm either out riding my bicycle, playing with my family, or throwing ferts in my planted tank. Or working. I hope I'm not doing that though.

Current Tank Info: 140 DIY Cube
miwoodar is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/13/2010, 09:22 PM   #658
Floyd R Turbo
Either busy or sleeping

Quote:
Originally Posted by celano View Post
Hows the stink factor? Is this the kinda setup you could put under your stand or do you need a dedicated room in your house for this type of setup?
There is no smell at all. Even when I take it out to clean it, I smell nothing. When I actually start scraping the algae off - that's when you smell it. It's no more rank than skimmate though.

I'll tell you that it was a lot smellier when I had the seed screen from Inland Aquatics attached to it. I got a 10x1 seed screen of red turf and that stuff was way, was gross smelling. After I got it, I was advised that I didn't even need it. I left it attached for a few weeks but the posted pic is the week after I took it off.

Floyd R Turbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/21/2010, 08:43 PM   #659
chrissu
Moved On

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jstdv8 View Post
IMO Its the single greatest piece of equipment I have in my tank.
Agreed.

chrissu is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/21/2011, 09:38 AM   #660
Floyd R Turbo
Either busy or sleeping

This subject now has a sticky here:

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/sh....php?t=1977420

--> POSTS #3251-64 (Basics), #5206 (Cleaning), #6884 (LEDs), #729
Unread 06/02/2011, 03:05 PM   #661
mlsund
Registered Member

Ouch... what a soap opera
If you ask me I think these turf scrubbers looks like a good idea for water fall art in your house...
He he he

Unread 06/02/2011, 03:18 PM   #662
herring_fish
Crazy Designer

I have been using a dump bucket style ATS for many years but thought that I would add a kalk reactor after I saw the terrific growth in a friend's tank. He uses a skimmer and some cheato but he added a reactor and his growth rate went up quite noticeably.

I have been doing a major overhaul of my system and am planning to add a Kalk reactor but I was reading in another thread and I ran across this answer from Randy Holmes, to a question about the pros and cons of going skimmerless:

Quote:
I experimented without my skimmer for several months. The primary issue that was immediately apparent was that the pH rose too much. I use limewater, and without the skimmer to aerate and bring in adequate CO2, the pH was too high.
Since I have a dump bucket that drops 2 gallons of water 1 foot, I get a good splash. I don't think that I will have an issue with not enough air exchange and the algae should keep the oxygen levels high.

Does anyone have experience using reactors? I know that the ATS community goes for a more natural environment when ever possible but how should a good reactor interact with a good ATS system?

herring_fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/02/2011, 06:07 PM   #663
mrbncal
Registered Member

double post

mrbncal is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/02/2011, 06:09 PM   #664
mrbncal
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jstdv8 View Post
imo its the single greatest piece of equipment i have in my tank.
+2

mrbncal is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/05/2014, 12:16 PM   #665
dotcommer
Registered Member

I have two of santa monica 100 turf scrubbers I am looking to set up on my 300 Gallon tank and 180 gallon sump.

The plan is to have them on top of my sump which is two feet tall.

I noticed on a thread about the unit there was a post about pump size

Requires 800 GPH (after head loss). Do not skimp on GPH, because the long pipe will not fill with enough water if you do. An Eheim 1260 pump works good if the scrubber is down in the sump area, but if you put the scrubber up high on a shelf above the tank, something bigger like an Eheim 1262 would be needed. I have and use both of these pumps. At the sump level, there is not much difference in flow between these two pumps, but when you have to pump up to a shelf above the display, the extra power of the 1262 (or similar) would be needed.

I am trying to cut down on any extra heat added to the water, since I am going with MH lights.

Can I use one pump for both units? If so, should it be 1600 GPH, or would you recommend one pump for each at the 800GPH?

I know that they base cubes of food on these units, with two of these how much food do you recommend each day?

How many hours should the lights should be on each day. And when the lights go out, should the pump turn off, or continue to run 24/7?

Lastly, I have been looking at the new Turf 4 and was wondering how the old units compare to the new ones?

I appreciate anyone taking the time to answer these questions.

Current Tank Info: Redsea Max 250 Mixed Reef, 125 Gal FOWLR, 90 Gal Mixed Reef, 30 Gal Fresh Water
dotcommer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/05/2014, 01:04 PM   #666
Floyd R Turbo
Either busy or sleeping

The old SM100 is essentially 10 cubes/day. So with 2 of them you could theoretically feed a lot.

Flow, yes 800 GPH per unit. You could probably run both off one pump.

flow always on. That has never changed in 30 years. no flow = dead algae.

Waterfall scrubber have always been, for the vast majority, consistently reliable. I'll just leave it at that.

Unread 02/06/2014, 02:32 AM   #667
dotcommer
Registered Member

Quote:
The old SM100 is essentially 10 cubes/day. So with 2 of them you could theoretically feed a lot.

Flow, yes 800 GPH per unit. You could probably run both off one pump.

flow always on. That has never changed in 30 years. no flow = dead algae.

Waterfall scrubber have always been, for the vast majority, consistently reliable. I'll just leave it at that.
Thanks for the response.

How many hours should the lights run on each unit?

If I am going to be running them, more than 12 hours each, Would it be best to stagger the times, so there is always one running throughout the 24 hour period.

Current Tank Info: Redsea Max 250 Mixed Reef, 125 Gal FOWLR, 90 Gal Mixed Reef, 30 Gal Fresh Water
Unread 02/06/2014, 05:59 AM   #668
salty joe
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dotcommer View Post
, Would it be best to stagger the times, so there is always one running throughout the 24 hour period.
I'd guess yes. I wonder if a timer is available that controls two appliances, but only one at a time, alternating them.

Unread 02/06/2014, 09:20 AM   #669
Floyd R Turbo
Either busy or sleeping

For most fluorescent based scrubbers, you want to run them right up at 18 hrs/day as long as there is a bioload to support it. lowering the photoperiod lowers the capacity. Staggering them so that you had each on for 12 hrs/day opposite cycle would maybe put you at 6-7 cubes/day per unit for capacity. That's once they have fully mature screens and are producing consistent growth

Unread 02/07/2014, 01:23 AM   #670
dotcommer
Registered Member

Quote:
For most fluorescent based scrubbers, you want to run them right up at 18 hrs/day as long as there is a bioload to support it. lowering the photoperiod lowers the capacity. Staggering them so that you had each on for 12 hrs/day opposite cycle would maybe put you at 6-7 cubes/day per unit for capacity. That's once they have fully mature screens and are producing consistent growth
Thanks, I will work them up to the 18 hours each and have them overlap 6 hours together once I have the tank fully up and runnning.

I will be running them on my APEX, so setting up the time schedule won't be a problem.