Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > New to the Hobby
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 05/18/2010, 09:18 PM   #251
Aquarist007
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul B View Post
I feed them clams. I keep a large chowder clam in the freezer and shave off very thin pieces. I use a baster looking thing to suck them up and blast them into a container a few times to give me tiny pieces of clam. About 1/8th long and paper thin.
I use the baster to put a piece of clam in every open polyp. There are tiny tentacles in each polyp, unfortunately they are not sticky like an anemone and you sometimes have to gently push the clam into the tentacles. In a minute of so, the animal will engulf it.
I also sometimes feed them small pellets soaked in fish oil but I believe the clam is better. I feed them about once a week and they multiply much faster is you feed them.

I am confused here oh great mentor. The op was asking about feeding torch coral. I believe you are describing and showing how to feed trumpet coral or candy cane coral?

Current Tank Info: 150gal long mixed reef, 90gal sump, 60 gal refugium with 200 lbs live rock
Aquarist007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/19/2010, 05:33 AM   #252
Paul B
Premium Member

Quote:
I am confused here oh great mentor. The op was asking about feeding torch coral. I believe you are describing and showing how to feed trumpet coral or candy cane coral?
You are correct oh great Capn. That comes from not paying attention, not sleeping and working too much (mostly on fun, or inventions.
Besides that I also sometimes confuse the two even though they look entirely different so ignore that post and talk amongst yourselves.

Current Tank Info: 100 gal reef set up in 1971
Paul B is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/19/2010, 10:10 PM   #253
mannyfly84
Registered Member

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pi...0&id=613087651
This is a better pic of the sea urchins, please let me know if they could be a danger to my 20 gal. tank. I also have started hearing clicking noises at night inside my tank and did some research and am worried if maybe a pistol shrimp was the cause for my peppermint shrimp dieing??? Any suggestions on how to find out whether or not I have a pistol shrimp would be great cause I haven't seen anything yet.

mannyfly84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/19/2010, 10:18 PM   #254
Aquarist007
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mannyfly84 View Post
http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pi...0&id=613087651
This is a better pic of the sea urchins, please let me know if they could be a danger to my 20 gal. tank. I also have started hearing clicking noises at night inside my tank and did some research and am worried if maybe a pistol shrimp was the cause for my peppermint shrimp dieing??? Any suggestions on how to find out whether or not I have a pistol shrimp would be great cause I haven't seen anything yet.
I don't know what you mean by danger but
long spined urchins will
grow too big for a 20 gal
consume all your corraline algae from the rocks
knock all corals and frags over
stab you in the fingers when you clean your tank

Clicking sound sounds like a mantis shrimp. Check at night with a flashlight

Current Tank Info: 150gal long mixed reef, 90gal sump, 60 gal refugium with 200 lbs live rock
Unread 05/20/2010, 09:35 AM   #255
mannyfly84
Registered Member

I have watched like every evening when the clicking starts and nothing and the clicking will go on during the day now, all my fish and snails are fine the only thing ever that got injured were my peppermint shrimp, and i think the wrasse did that i watched him and the clowfish pull one apart... is there anyway this could be a pistol shrimp? plus how could it be a mantis those things are huge arent they? Is there anway to draw the mantis shrimp out to see if it is in fact that?, and the urchins are long spined black sea urchins? how do i get rid of them?

Unread 05/20/2010, 04:11 PM   #256
Aquarist007
Registered Member

Quote:
I have watched like every evening when the clicking starts and nothing and the clicking will go on during the day now, all my fish and snails are fine the only thing ever that got injured were my peppermint shrimp, and i think the wrasse did that i watched him and the clowfish pull one apart... is there anyway this could be a pistol shrimp? plus how could it be a mantis those things are huge arent they? Is there anway to draw the mantis shrimp out to see if it is in fact that?, and the urchins are long spined black sea urchins? how do i get rid of them?
mantis like other shrimp and crabs can be small enough to hitch hike into the tank in the pores of the live rock

Methods to Capture Mantis Shrimp Outside Tank:

If you can quickly remove the rock where the offending mantis shrimp is hiding, then you can isolate the animal using the following methods.

Replace rock in its own, isolated tank with saltwater. Do not provide sources of food for several days, then trap mantis using bait.
Dunk rock quickly in carbonated water. You may use club soda or make your own liquid by mixing dry ice and saltwater. The mantis shrimp will quickly scoot out of the rock when exposed to this.
Squirt boiling or hot water into the cavities where mantis shrimps may be hiding. This has been suggested to me by retailers of local fishing stores as well.
Dunk rock in freshwater. Some people say they have used this to good effect, but others note that it could severely damage the other inhabitants of the live rock.

http://www.blueboard.com/mantis/pest/catch.htm

Unread 05/24/2010, 08:10 PM   #257
mannyfly84
Registered Member

I caught this thing in my tank, not sure if it is a mantis shrimp, kind of looks like it but maybe a baby one? check these pics out and let me know please!!!
http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pi...9&id=613087651
http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pi...4&id=613087651

Unread 05/25/2010, 12:31 PM   #258
Aquarist007
Registered Member

Quote:
I caught this thing in my tank, not sure if it is a mantis shrimp, kind of looks like it but maybe a baby one? check these pics out and let me know please!!!
Its hard to tell Manny but I will send the link to PaulB--he should know

Unread 05/25/2010, 12:50 PM   #259
jason2459
Registered Member

Quote:
definitely not a mantis shrimp. Looks like a nasty Cirolanid isopod. If you have one you probably have several. They are not good and I would say worse then a mantis shrimp to have in your tank. They are not the source of your clicking though. You probably have a mantis or a pistol shrimp. Pistol shrimp good and mantis may not be so good and needs a species only tank.

http://www.reefkeeping.com/issues/2006-02/bp/index.php

You can check out my parameters at reeftronics dot net website and look for my username.

Current Tank Info: 180g mixed reef w/ a beananimal overflow to a dolomite RRUGF. | 20g long G. Smithii Mantis Tank
jason2459 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/25/2010, 03:54 PM   #260
Paul B
Premium Member

Thats not even close to a mantis shrimp but it is hard to tell from that picture.

Current Tank Info: 100 gal reef set up in 1971
Paul B is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/26/2010, 10:08 PM   #261
Aquarist007
Registered Member

thanks for answering the post guys

Unread 06/03/2010, 11:40 AM   #262
cbourque
Registered Member

Question... I just started a 34 gal red sea max (my first tank ever). I added 35 lb. of live rock. The only other things i have in it are sand, and hermits. I don't use the heater, and the temp of the tank ranges from about 80/81 without the lights, and 82/83 while the lights are on. should i get a chiller just to lower those few degrees? or are those temps ok?

cbourque is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/03/2010, 10:25 PM   #263
Sisterlimonpot
R.C. Fraternity President

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbourque View Post
Question... I just started a 34 gal red sea max (my first tank ever). I added 35 lb. of live rock. The only other things i have in it are sand, and hermits. I don't use the heater, and the temp of the tank ranges from about 80/81 without the lights, and 82/83 while the lights are on. should i get a chiller just to lower those few degrees? or are those temps ok?
83 is pushing it, there are other alternatives to chillers, like creating more surface agitation to promote evaporation, you can use external pumps (if you have a sump\fuge), use an external power head like an MP10. However, depending on where you live and summer being around the corner you just very well may need a chiller to keep the temp down.

Dishes are done man!

Current Tank Info: 300 in progress
Sisterlimonpot is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/04/2010, 12:43 AM   #264
terri_ann
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sisterlimonpot View Post
83 is pushing it, there are other alternatives to chillers, like creating more surface agitation to promote evaporation, you can use external pumps (if you have a sump\fuge), use an external power head like an MP10. However, depending on where you live and summer being around the corner you just very well may need a chiller to keep the temp down.
I agree with Sista'. Simply placing a fan to blow over your sump/fuge can decrease the temp by 3-5 degrees. If you don't have a sump/fuge, you can also blow the fan over the top of your tank...if you have a glass top/other, removing that can help...just make sure when there are fish in there, that they can't jump out (bird netting, screen, egg crate). Chillers are costly and can just add heat back to the system if they aren't properly placed...I avoid them. You can also change your lighting schedule especially since you have no corals...but corraline needs light

Current Tank Info: 180g mixed 40B Anemone 5' raceway frag tank
terri_ann is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/27/2010, 12:10 PM   #265
shades251
Registered Member

ok guys i dont know much about this site but i need answers and no one is giving me any i have a 24 gal nano cube 150 watt mh/ 28 watt t5 atanics... now besides shrooms and zoas i need some info on bright colored coral and fish that will not out grow the tank or at least will take a really long time to out grow it HELP!!!!

shades251 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/29/2010, 08:37 PM   #266
Aquarist007
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by shades251 View Post
ok guys i dont know much about this site but i need answers and no one is giving me any i have a 24 gal nano cube 150 watt mh/ 28 watt t5 atanics... now besides shrooms and zoas i need some info on bright colored coral and fish that will not out grow the tank or at least will take a really long time to out grow it HELP!!!!
We have an excellent forum for dealing with cubes:
http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=75

You might want to post here or check out the other threads

To answer you question you have plenty of light to grow both lps and sps corals
However lps corals are more hardy and more forgiving of changes in the water than sps corals so I would start with those
These corals will give you good growth and colouration for your cube
torch coral
frog spawn or hammer
kenya tree
toad stool mushroom
pink xenia
leathers
open brain
orange plate coral

After a few months you may want to try out
elegance coral
pipe coral
duncans
favia
chalice
acans
which come in alot of great colours

Unread 09/05/2010, 06:52 AM   #267
Michael
NTTH Rookie Help

Quote:
Originally Posted by coralgasm
to all who start a "reef" tank

a few guidlines that will help it work

1. get the right stuff (equipment ), please, get it before you try, most imortantly LIGHT.

2. be humble, your tank has more to teach you about it than the other way around.

3. wear kid gloves, if you think something is challenging, work up to the challenge, don't, please don't, start with it.

typically, start with shrooms, ->, from now on that is into (deadheads rejoice)->zoos->starpolyps->leather corals->lps (trachys, lobos, duncans, plates, yada yada)-> other lps (favia, platy, acan)->sps (monti or seri), and, finally acro. this is NOT a GREAT guidline, each tank is different, you must decide for youself what is safe to add and when.

YOU know YOUR tank better than anyone else.
yes very good, but you need to be more specific, whats the right stuff? with so much equpment available today your comment of "buy the right stuff" doesnt help anyone.

MY Very Kindest and Warmest Regards ,
MIKE

Current Tank Info: I have a 92 gal Corner Tank, and way too many pieces of equipment to list really, (proud member of the reef central corner club)

Last edited by dc; 09/05/2010 at 10:18 AM.
Michael is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/10/2010, 03:18 PM   #268
Fyfer8
Registered Member

I have a question that i can only think of in theory so far.. i was hoping maybe somebody else has already succesfully done this and can let me know if it will work or of another method i should use.

When i set up my tank, I placed 20 lbs of LS in my 28G tank. The LFS said it would be enough but I really like tanks with deep sand beds. I WANT TO PUT MORE LIVE SAND IN MY TANK. Is this possible? In theory, I believe filling a cup with LS about 3/4 full and then topping it off with my saltwater mix would counteract the vaccuum effect on the sand when the cup goes into the water. I will then use my hand to slowly pull the new sand out of the cup to fill the tank.

Will new LS make my nitrates spike (possibly ammonia even)? Will any other water parameters be effected if done correctly? Has anybody done this or heard about people doing this? Is there another proven method?

Fyfer8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/13/2010, 09:26 PM   #269
Sm1nts2escape
Registered Member

Thank you soo much.

Sm1nts2escape is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/11/2011, 10:45 PM   #270
IMM3DOORSDOWN
Registered Member

Photobucket

Current Tank Info: PAST EXPERIANCE::180 gal fish only,120 gal reef,65 gal MAN TANK lionfish and eel,54 gal corner dwarf angel tank. CURRENT. WORKING ON 90 gal MIXED REEF, 29 gal sump & refuge.20 gal long qt tank.120 gal uv steralizer.29 gal fowlr and annemonies
IMM3DOORSDOWN is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/01/2011, 05:08 PM   #271
naughty
Registered Member

so i have a question:

i have a bc14 and i bought water for it from my lfs, but! their salinity seems way too low, it's at about 1.019 - 1.020 and i've been trying to evaporate some and replace with more saltwater to raise the salinity but so far my hydrometer has been showing no changes, and it's been about a week. should i stick with this method?

do i need to buy more salt and just add it in next time i do water changes? i guess my question in general is how big of fluctuations in salinity can reef nano tanks stand?

naughty is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/01/2011, 05:46 PM   #272
Alaska_Phil
Registered Member

Yep, go ahead and buy a bag of salt. Most LFS add only the minimum to keep fish healthy (less salt = more profit). Reefs need a bit higher salinity. Better yet, get an RO/DI filter of your own and mix it yourself. For a 14 all you'll is a 5 gal bucket and small powerhead. You'll have plenty of pure water for top offs in the future too.

Current Tank Info: 50 gal mixed reef, 65 gal freshwater planted.
Alaska_Phil is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/05/2011, 10:33 AM   #273
kctango
Registered Member

phil how do you size a ro/di for a tank, I have a 110gal with sump

kctango is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/05/2011, 03:14 PM   #274
Alaska_Phil
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kctango View Post
phil how do you size a ro/di for a tank, I have a 110gal with sump
60 to 100 gal/day units are pretty much standard. keep in mind your tap pressure, incoming water quality and temperature will have a big impact on flow rate. For example I have a 100 gal/day unit, but my tap water is only 42 degrees, and has a TDS of 220, so even after going through a water bath with two 300W heaters, and a booster pump raising the pressure to 100 psi, I only get about 2-1/2 gal/hr out. So don't expect the rated flow unless you have pretty clean water to start with, 70+ psi and a water temperature of 70 degrees.

That said, how patient are you? I think a 100 gal/day would work fine for you 110 set up. I maintain my 50 gal with sump with mine, and I'm planning a 150 as well. However, I will be adding a 1500W heater ahead of the RO unit at that point. I'm not THAT patient myself.

Current Tank Info: 50 gal mixed reef, 65 gal freshwater planted.
Alaska_Phil is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/05/2011, 10:13 PM   #275
Jlobo
Registered Member

I bought 4 pieces of live rock this morning. They were nice pieces that had been cured for some time so I put them in my tank and noticed what I thought was an anemone on one of the rocks. I called the pet store and the employee said it was probably a feather duster. It looks just like an anemone to me (translucent, tentacles) and I did some research and I think it may be an Aiptasia. Do I need to get rid of it? It's the only one I can see.

Last edited by Jlobo; 02/05/2011 at 10:28 PM. Reason: spelling
Jlobo is offline   Reply With Quote