Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Lighting, Filtration & Other Equipment
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 05/05/2010, 07:47 PM   #351
New90Gal
Registered Member

I am A NOOB, I want to get LED lights for my Tank which i am setting up slowly. I have found this website which has this LED lights but dont know if they are powerful enough for my 90 gal tank i plan on having corals and fish. here is the link for the lights : http://www.ledlight.com/par38-ultra-...led-light.aspx . Also do you guys know of any good LED lighting tht doesnt cost an arm and a leg? lets not forget the physical therapy either.

please let me know if the lights are powerful (the link is above) or if they are not then if you know of powerful LED lights that are. Thanks!

Also their are these LED lights : check these out. http://www.nanotuners.com/index.php?cPath=74 --- of the two which ones are better? or more powerful.

New90Gal is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/10/2010, 10:12 PM   #352
Robert Patterso
Registered Member

Radiums and Coral Vue Ballast (dimmable)

I have been running the 400w Reeflux 12k bulbs on Coralvue dimmable ballasts. They are about 8 mos. old and my monti caps have browned out pretty badly. I posted in the sps forum and several people chimed in and said they had the same problem. Their claim was that they believe it was due to the bulbs. All recommended I switch to Radiums. I like the Radium bulb look but not so sure of running them on the Coralvue ballast. Will the Radium bulbs run correctly on these ballasts or should I consider another bulb. I am giving serious thought to going with a 20k bulb and would prefer to use the one that will give me the best performance. I know most people use an hqi type ballast for the Radiums but switching out ballasts is not an option at this time. MONEY.
Suggestions would be appreciated. Thank you in advance....

Current Tank Info: 140 ssb, 75g sump ect. xp2000 cone skimmer, 400w XM 20k's in sm. Lumenbrites, ATS over refugium
Robert Patterso is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/11/2010, 02:19 AM   #353
KNAH
Registered Member

I have a 400w mh ballist, can i use it to power 2ea 150w bulbs in parallel or series configuration, thanks

KNAH is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/11/2010, 02:22 PM   #354
Robert Patterso
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KNAH View Post
I have a 400w mh ballist, can i use it to power 2ea 150w bulbs in parallel or series configuration, thanks
Not an expert but i do know you cannot do that

Current Tank Info: 140 ssb, 75g sump ect. xp2000 cone skimmer, 400w XM 20k's in sm. Lumenbrites, ATS over refugium
Robert Patterso is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/26/2010, 11:36 PM   #355
creep42031
Registered Member

hey guys i need help on choosing a good light fixture for my 55 gallon im trying to spend around 250.. plzzzz help i have corals n wanna get an anemone

creep42031 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/08/2010, 09:37 AM   #356
ldallen95219
Registered Member

I have a Nova Extreme Pro High Output T5 Lighting System with (6) bulbs on a 55 gal tank. As most know the Nova Extreme has two separate switches and mine are on two separate timers. On one timer (timer No. 1) I have two lights (ATI blue plus) and on the other timer (timer No. 2) four lights (UVL 75/25; ATI blue plus; ATI aquablue; ATI blue plus). I run my timer No. 1 from 7:30 a.m. to 8:00 a.m. then shuts off when timer No. 2 comes on which I run from 8:00 a.m. to 6:00 p.m. then shuts off and once again No. 1 from 6:00 p.m. to 6:30 p.m. Am I doing this right or should ALL lights be on during the 10 hours? During the winter months I have the No. 1 stay on longer in the evening from 6:00 p.m. to 9:00 p.m. as I like the evening bluish look in the tank but during the summer the tank gets quite warm during the day (highest it has gotten is 84) so have cut down on the lighting operation. Oh, forgot to mention, I have mostly soft corals and fish in my tank.

Anyway, any advice on whether or not I should be running all lights at the same time or the way I am running them now would be appreciated. Thanks

Last edited by ldallen95219; 07/08/2010 at 10:07 AM.
ldallen95219 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/12/2010, 05:26 AM   #357
MadBeach79
Moved On

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Patterso View Post
I have been running the 400w Reeflux 12k bulbs on Coralvue dimmable ballasts. They are about 8 mos. old and my monti caps have browned out pretty badly. I posted in the sps forum and several people chimed in and said they had the same problem. Their claim was that they believe it was due to the bulbs. All recommended I switch to Radiums. I like the Radium bulb look but not so sure of running them on the Coralvue ballast. Will the Radium bulbs run correctly on these ballasts or should I consider another bulb. I am giving serious thought to going with a 20k bulb and would prefer to use the one that will give me the best performance. I know most people use an hqi type ballast for the Radiums but switching out ballasts is not an option at this time. MONEY.
Suggestions would be appreciated. Thank you in advance....
Pink colored electronic ballast? Yes, I run 6 Radiums that way...

MadBeach79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/07/2010, 09:06 PM   #358
onetrickpony
Premium Member

http://www.advancedaquarist.com/sear...Text=reflector

onetrickpony is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/14/2010, 02:26 PM   #359
the lars
Registered Member

well I am going to change back to HQI from LED...the LED lamp is about 2" over the surface..how high should I place a 150w HQI?

thanks!

the lars is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/25/2010, 07:23 PM   #360
jeremymcm
Registered Member

I'm looking for some lighting ideas for my 36g bowfront... its 30"long and 19" from the top to the sand. I was trying to find a halide/t5 ho combo but can't find any with that length and all near that size have the halide in the middle so it would be obstructed by the brace.

jeremymcm is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/22/2011, 05:55 PM   #361
jmchzn123
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by plack View Post
The Grim Reefer

I was also told by a solaris rep in person that the led's are in modules for easy replacement and repair.
Solaris? I have 48" first gen and its giving me problems. Any word on where and who can repair this light?
joe

jmchzn123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/03/2011, 10:21 AM   #362
jmchzn123
Registered Member

can some one tell me how to delete a post

can some one tell me how to delete a post?

Last edited by jmchzn123; 02/03/2011 at 10:49 AM. Reason: can some one tell me how to delete a post
Unread 02/03/2011, 10:40 AM   #363
jmchzn123
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmchzn View Post
I have been away for 4 months and can't believe anyone is discussing anything but Solaris LED. It's now a year old and I have not one issue. CLAMS,HARD,SOFT.SPS,LPS,LMNOP ROCKIN 150%
FORGET MH !
its me I have now been gone for a few yrs. I let my premium membership lapse...had to rejoin as a new user.......
My Solaris needs bulbs and I wanted to upgrade to 3w crees and apparently thats a major undertaking so I opted for new AI Sol Blues which will be here sometime in 2011..lol...the final disposition of the Solaris will be experimental play toy. That controller is great! It's sad what happened to PFO and Patrick (and Carla?) They are great. The first gen light wasn't as good as I thought or hoped...yes so many of you who gave me grief were right.You guys as usual argued with science and biology. I remember one pm I got stating my lack of photobiology knowledge will trump my passion for the LED systems at the time and I would be killing the animals......I should have listened. The light did fine with soft coral and some LPS and a well placed clam but SPS was out of the question. I'm sure the AI are gonna do a better job. So after eating some humble pie I'm looking forward to the next chapter in Reefkeeping!

Unread 02/07/2011, 12:48 PM   #364
robertifly
Premium Member

jmchzn, sorry to say I too have a 1st gen Solaris 36" and one bank completely gone, it is a nice controller and the frame is good and heavy. I wanted to know if it is possible (practical) to rebuild with new tech leds. Is anyone doing that?

Current Tank Info: none
robertifly is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/21/2011, 08:07 AM   #365
PacificSun
Registered Member

Dear Robert,
Where do you live? We was upgrading some fixtures in the past for latest LED chips.
If your hardware is ready(led driver), we can put latest chip - the same lik in Metis XM for example(with up to 10W Cree XM-L led chips - average output 160lm/W)
Please contact me (PM) - or send email to us
info@pacific-sun.eu

Regards

Tomek
PS Team

PacificSun is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/24/2011, 01:02 PM   #366
joecaholic
Registered Member

has anyone heard of the evelution led 120 looking to buy would love some feedback of performance and if its worth the money thank you

joecaholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/06/2011, 08:41 AM   #367
Bigdaddy_wood
Registered Member

i would also like info on evelution led 120

Bigdaddy_wood is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/18/2011, 11:01 AM   #368
Hagisan
Preparing to move on...

Quote:
has anyone heard of the evelution led 120 looking to buy would love some feedback of performance and if its worth the money thank you
Quote:
i would also like info on evelution led 120
http://www.evolutionledlight.com/

HTH

Unread 04/02/2011, 03:58 PM   #369
brigita
Registered Member

I am wondering, after reading few thread here most the light for tank is quite big watt, is there any low watt for bulb

brigita is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/05/2011, 08:05 AM   #370
ginger123
Registered Member

I am getting a new light system for my 90 gallon tank and want to make sure that it is good for all SPS and LPS corals. any suggestions??? I found a light system on ebay 48" 2x250w MH 2x54w T5 HO (608w total) will this be sufficient for what I need? Just don't want to buy something and have to upgrade again when i decide to get something new for my tank.....

ginger123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/07/2011, 12:49 PM   #371
pcherfils
Registered Member

Hi All,
My name is Philippe and I just started the hobby. I leave in San Francisco and got a used 40Gal tank out of craigslist. It is 30" long 13" deep and 24" high.
I have a remora C protein skimmer, a Fluval 304 filter 2x koralia 500g/h and 1 750 g/h.
So far the population in my tank is:
2 clown fish
1 skinny fish yellow in the front and purple in the back (came with the tank)
1 fish that eat sand
1 cleaner shrimp
5 turbo
3 hermit crab
some snale that goes under the sand (no idea how many but may be a couple)
1 bleu start fish
2 feather duster (about 3 inch big)
1 white anemone with purple dot at the end
1 regular looking anemone
1 torch
1 frogspawn
1 plate coral
1 purple mushroom

some rock
some sand

my light came with the tank and I think they are 2x65W compact.
Do you think it is ok for my tank if i want to stay with the coral i have or do you think i need to upgrade. If i do need to upgrade what do you recommend considering that my budget is very limited?
Thanks for your help.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_2259.JPG (78.8 KB, 75 views)
pcherfils is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/27/2011, 11:21 PM   #372
reefmanmatt
Registered Member.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2cool4u View Post
plusrtie bulbs are junck thay have no par thay dont grow any thing
im running plusrite 22,000k 175 watt halides and having good luck with them . growth is good , color is nice , shimmers like all the rest . i personally havent seen par readings but i can tell you my coral like them

reefmanmatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/11/2011, 12:14 PM   #373
reefngeek
Registered Member

Question

Hey guys I'm in need of some Metal Halide lighting help. It's for a 18inx18inx18in cube and I plan on running a 20k Radium 250watt bulb on it. The ballast I'm goin for is a Lumatek 250watt dimmeble/multiple wattage kit. What are some reflectors that would be compatible with the ballast? I'm not looking to do any wiring as I'm not experience in that.
Thanks,
Kyle

reefngeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/14/2011, 11:39 PM   #374
TropTrea
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcherfils View Post
Hi All,
My name is Philippe and I just started the hobby. I leave in San Francisco and got a used 40Gal tank out of craigslist. It is 30" long 13" deep and 24" high.
I have a remora C protein skimmer, a Fluval 304 filter 2x koralia 500g/h and 1 750 g/h.
So far the population in my tank is:
2 clown fish
1 skinny fish yellow in the front and purple in the back (came with the tank)
1 fish that eat sand
1 cleaner shrimp
5 turbo
3 hermit crab
some snale that goes under the sand (no idea how many but may be a couple)
1 bleu start fish
2 feather duster (about 3 inch big)
1 white anemone with purple dot at the end
1 regular looking anemone
1 torch
1 frogspawn
1 plate coral
1 purple mushroom

some rock
some sand

my light came with the tank and I think they are 2x65W compact.
Do you think it is ok for my tank if i want to stay with the coral i have or do you think i need to upgrade. If i do need to upgrade what do you recommend considering that my budget is very limited?
Thanks for your help.
Over 10 years ago I went with Compacts and after 6 months switched to MH since the compacts just did not do the job that dorals realy need. Sure you can keep them alive for a while with compacts but color slowly fades and growth is at a minimium. Since then I have gone with the HO T-5's that I'd recommed for you. A 6 bulb fixture preferabley but your 13" front to back space might mean you will have to go with a 4 bulb fixture. With a 4 bulb fixture I'd run ATI Blue Plus bulbs on your Dawn to Dusk timer and an ATI Purple Plus and an ATI Aqua Blue Special on the Mid Day timer.

Current Tank Info: Main tank 120 Gallon, 432 Watts T-5's plus 30 Watts of LED's, Frag 40 Gallon tank 234 Watts T-5's, 3 Frag tanks all 40 Gallon with LED lighting between 60 and 84 Watts. All LEDs are DIY Oh and then there is fresh water tanks 270 gallons
TropTrea is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/20/2011, 12:54 PM   #375
cherubfish pair
Registered Member

Could someone critique these dimmable T5 Aquatronica's for me, I would love to get some dimmable lights for my nano on a budget. Something that would interface with Digital Aquatics advanced light controller. In the link it says they are a 0-10V ballast which is what DA's ALC requires. Can anyone confirm this?

http://www.aquatronica.com/products-1/lights/lights

Thanks for looking at my build thread and subscribe to it if you already haven't yet!

Current Tank Info: thirty rimless
cherubfish pair is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
led aquarium light