Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Marine Fish Forums > Anemones & Clownfish
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 10/22/2018, 10:00 AM   #1
lifeoffaith
Registered Member

Naked Cinnamon Clownfish Pairing

I purchased two naked cinnamon clownfish from Liveaquaria. I specifically purchased small so that they could grow into their roles of male and female. Instead they sent medium and large (1.5-2 inches was the small range and I ended up getting something like 2.5-3.5 inches). When they first went in there seemed to be a short period of dominance establishment, but now they are hanging out in opposite corners of the tank. I've seen no aggression at all. I did make Liveaquaria aware of the size difference in case I can't get them to pair, just not sure how long it should take.

lifeoffaith is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/22/2018, 11:07 AM   #2
pfan151
Registered Member

Do you have any pics? I’m sure they’ll eventually settle in and pair up but that is larger than I would like. They are on the aggressive side for sure so they’ll take more time than percs or occs.

pfan151 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/22/2018, 01:05 PM   #3
lifeoffaith
Registered Member

Yeah, I would have expected them to be fighting it out at this point, but it's almost like they're scared of each other. One is about 3.5, the other is 2.5 so there is a big enough size difference, just not liking that they are as big as they are already. Definitely not what I ordered. They are hanging out in opposite corners.

Unread 10/25/2018, 05:59 AM   #4
lifeoffaith
Registered Member

Still zero aggression, but still hanging out in opposite corners, no interest in hanging out together. With their size I'd still be concerned I have two females, but then I'd also expect some pretty serious aggression if that were the case.

Unread 10/26/2018, 05:26 AM   #5
lifeoffaith
Registered Member

Had my hands in the tank last night and the two bunched up together, but as soon as I took my hands out of the tank they went back to opposite corners. Really strange activity based on what I'm used to with my Occelaris.

Unread 10/28/2018, 08:02 PM   #6
lifeoffaith
Registered Member

Good news or bad news is that the larger us chasing the smaller and the smaller is doing the submission dance. He’s got some minor evidence of fin nipping, but I think we’re making progress.