Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Lighting, Filtration & Other Equipment
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 12/19/2018, 07:12 AM   #1
gandolf8
Registered Member

Need Help

I have a 180 gal tank w/40 clownfish and 12 Anemone. I am having trouble with pho 2.50 and nitrates at 32 I have been trying to get this down for over a yr I tried clearwater scrubber didn't work at all then a Santa Monica rain 2 that didn't work either and last by not least Santa Monica surf 8 still not working either. Can any one help me please. Thx. Is there a scrbber that will work.

gandolf8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/19/2018, 07:15 AM   #2
homer1475
Registered Member

How long did you give them to work? It takes several months to mature a screen to where your actually growing enough algae to export the nutrients.

Originally posted by der_wille_zur_macht:

"He's just taking his lunch to work"
homer1475 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/19/2018, 07:32 AM   #3
gandolf8
Registered Member

6 months saw no drop in PHO and Nit

gandolf8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/19/2018, 09:14 AM   #4
mcgyvr
Registered Member

First stop overfeeding...
For the most part your phosphate level can only get that high from 2 reasons..
-massive overfeeding
-leaching from the rock..

If you don't fix the reason that you have excessive phosphate then you will always be battling it.. Its highly likely that massive overfeeding is your problem.. And because you have 40+ fish and nems I'm leaning that way for sure..

Second..
For your excessive phosphate level you will want to try something like GFO in a reactor.. (note your level is excessively high and will require A LOT of GFO.. $$$$ and it will need to be changed out often as it will quickly be exhausted)
You may even need to go to something like lanthanum chloride which is more involved..

Between those 2 you should be able to solve the problem.. (nitrate level is really not an issue at all )
Are you having excessive algae issues due to the elevated phosphate levels?
If not what problems are you having? Sometimes tanks will run just fine with levels that would cause others to cringe and run in fear..

Unread 12/19/2018, 01:46 PM   #5
Vinny Kreyling
Registered Member

Gandolf8, with that high reading you are better off with Lanthanum Chloride until you get below 1.0 or even lower. GFO works @ lower numbers. It can be regenerated.
LACL MUST be dosed into a sock, there is a big thread here on RC.
If you want a scrubber look into Turbo Aquatics, last I looked he was behind schedule on his units.

Unread 12/21/2018, 11:31 AM   #6
Floowid
Registered Member

How old are your test kits that are giving you that reading? The reason I ask is I battled a phosphate problem for over a year that turned out to be just the old test kit giving me an artificially high reading. A friend finally came over with a Hanna unit and we realized I had no phosphate and I was starving my tank.

Unread 12/21/2018, 02:15 PM   #7
Seasidenj
Registered Member

Over feeding main colpret

Seasidenj is offline   Reply With Quote