Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Coral Forums > SPS Keepers
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Old 05/31/2018, 07:18 PM   #576
Wally.B
Registered Member

Nice,

The frag tank look like it works great for photographing Frag. Lately your Frag shots are just better. That may the the viewer you made too.

And again thanks for the Pipette idea. my bag of 200 came. Love using them to melt frozen food in a tiny container and squirt the food around my QT/DT tanks (so it breaks the water and doesn't' float ,and down the overflow) . I labelled them with dynamo tape too since i was getting confused which is which since i now have more than One.

Current Tank Info: 90 Gal Mixed Tank (T5,Kessil), 110G Custom In-Wall Office Tank (SPS only: T5 DIY Dimmable, Blue LED Strip, EuroReef Skimmer, DIY Doser, Gyre/Hydor Circ, DC Waveline 10,000 Return, Total Automation [Dual Tank SUMP ROOM] )
Wally.B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06/01/2018, 05:45 PM   #577
Rakie
Registered Member

Thanks Matt and Wally. The pictures are coming out well mostly because the viewer. Here are a few shots I took through the glass just now though.

Here's my Typical View from my desk

Everything is doing okay. They're more or less recovered from the trauma of getting ripped off the rocks and placed on plugs. And they've slowly gotten used to the lighting from the frag rack. They're all slowly starting to finally color back to normal...

And then when I replace my rock, they're gonna freak out again lol.

Old 06/03/2018, 11:29 PM   #578
Rakie
Registered Member

Yeah... Stuff happened.

Old 06/18/2018, 09:24 PM   #579
Wrangy
Acrotrooper

Groovy frags!!

Courtesy of Nils:
"you are welcome to your nem / flub tank because we need people like you to balance the sick ( sick in the head SPS OCD ) speaking for myself here!!"
Wrangy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06/21/2018, 03:34 AM   #580
Rakie
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wrangy View Post
Groovy frags!!
Thank you much!

Haven't done much, things are doing well still just chugging along. Rocks aren't done cooking yet but they're getting there..

Old 06/30/2018, 06:51 PM   #581
Rakie
Registered Member

Small update: After a year without dinos, I introduced them somehow.

I added a bunch of plastic pots / frag racks that weren't properly scrubbed clean when I setup my frag tank. My friend thinks the plastic may have caused it. However, I also added some AlgaeFix to try and kill off some bubble algae -- some people who use algaecides note that other invasive algae, or dinos, will take over..

So I got them one way or another. They're mostly in my little frag tank, but I'm worried it's going to spread.

I'm either going to do a blackout for a few days, or something... I know I've been working on physical removal today.

Old 07/04/2018, 12:46 PM   #582
Rakie
Registered Member

Small update: Dinos dead. Lymphocystis on two fish who freaked out over the 3 day blackout, and lack of skimming.

So here's some shots of my frag tank and non-corals (where the dinos thrived)

DON'T DROP SOPRANOS... they don't like it

JF Rainbow Incinerators

CaliKid Rainbow Godzilla

Old 07/05/2018, 05:10 PM   #583
Wrangy
Acrotrooper

I've never seen such a clean frag tank in all my life Looks unreal man!!

Courtesy of Nils:
"you are welcome to your nem / flub tank because we need people like you to balance the sick ( sick in the head SPS OCD ) speaking for myself here!!"
Wrangy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07/05/2018, 10:26 PM   #584
Rakie
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wrangy View Post
I've never seen such a clean frag tank in all my life Looks unreal man!!
Thank you! It took some scrubbing and about 6 Trochus snails lol. The new white frag plugs definitely helped make it look cleaner than it was.

Old 07/09/2018, 09:20 AM   #585
ReefWreak
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakie View Post
Thank you! It took some scrubbing and about 6 Trochus snails lol. The new white frag plugs definitely helped make it look cleaner than it was.
Dude, I'm now a true believer in the banded trochus snails... I think I have 20-30 in my tank, and between them and a conch, my tank went from algae city to almost perfectly clean, even with heavy feeding. I'm scared to test my nitrates.... But at least there's no algae! Once you remove the tall algae yourself as much as you can, then they'll do the rest of the job.

Keep up the frag growing!

ReefWreak is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07/12/2018, 04:02 PM   #586
Rakie
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReefWreak View Post
Dude, I'm now a true believer in the banded trochus snails... I think I have 20-30 in my tank, and between them and a conch, my tank went from algae city to almost perfectly clean, even with heavy feeding. I'm scared to test my nitrates.... But at least there's no algae! Once you remove the tall algae yourself as much as you can, then they'll do the rest of the job.

Keep up the frag growing!
The banded trochus are absolutely amazing. Next time you want a new CUC member track down some Money Cowries.. Worth their weight in gold (and about $10 each... but totally worth it)

@reefmutt -- here's my rockwork finished with reef welder

Old 07/12/2018, 04:16 PM   #587
Rakie
Registered Member

So then... Some pictures.

New JB Mother with some green/red

Old JB Mother

Some wild pink-red thing.

Golden Basket Full Spectrum

TDF from WWC, or someone... TDF though

JF Fox Flame finally recovered from the intense fragging

Some wild stag with purple/blue tips

Sapphire Milli

Vivid Wolverine

Old 07/12/2018, 04:16 PM   #588
Rakie
Registered Member

Vivid Tequilla Sunrise

CB Maleficent

RRA Diablo

WWC Whooly mammoth Milli

Rouge Milli

St. Thomas / AKA Nazgul Bounce

Soprano Zoas

Old 07/13/2018, 02:52 PM   #589
ReefWreak
Registered Member

I think the minute any of these start to grow, you'll instantly need a new tank... Really beautiful finds though! I just got some new corals as well, but I'll never take as nice pics. Orange filter?

Old 07/13/2018, 07:45 PM   #590
Rakie
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReefWreak View Post
I think the minute any of these start to grow, you'll instantly need a new tank... Really beautiful finds though! I just got some new corals as well, but I'll never take as nice pics. Orange filter?
Hah, thanks!

I use an old Canon G7 from like 2005. It's 10mp but it was top of the line way back.. today it's about $60 on ebay, and it runs circles around most cameras less than $300.

I also run CHDK (Canon Hack Development Tools) which is a literal program hack that unlocks all the features of Canon cameras. CHDK basically turned this old point and shoot into a DSLR.

Once I made the crappy port-hole from a pipe and acrylic I had all I needed.

Old 07/13/2018, 08:15 PM   #591
ReefWreak
Registered Member

I remember reading earlier about the ghetto camera with CHDK and the ghetto port-hole, but man, your colors are still just so nice on the corals....

I just got a big order from WWC and AquaSD, and everything has browned out, and even some of my more established stuff are browning out and/or just not looking great.I have a myagi tort that looks stellar bright green though, but otherwise everything is just looking brown. I guess I need time and stability for them to settle in.

Anyway, I guess it's more just a complement on your coloration than it is a thought about camera or filter trickery

Old 07/13/2018, 08:24 PM   #592
Rakie
Registered Member

It happens. More than a few of my corals went green when I started dipping, and then some of them had stunted growth, etc etc. I've been lucky nothing really browned out so far but they've turned green/purple when they aren't happy for sure.

I visited vivid aquariums -- THey're no joke, their colors look like real time photoshop. The legit most colorful corals I've ever seen in my life.

Their secret?

Blast them with unimaginable amounts of light. They run 2 radions on a 3x3' section both at 100% and close to the water. They showed me some of their corals in lower par vs higher par areas. The same exact coral was night and day different. So I've been picking up my radion intensity a bit.

Green can come by way of low or high light. Iron tested normal, not high.

Give your corals time, or perhaps more light.. Whats your radion intensity in relation to your no3/po4?

Old 07/13/2018, 08:44 PM   #593
ReefWreak
Registered Member

Radion G4 Pros with AB+ at 45% global (30% max intensity).

For NO3/PO4, of the few times I've tested, it reads 0, however, I'm feeding a shitload, like 2-3 big pinches of PE mysis flake, 1 cube of PE mysis, 1 cube of PE Calanus, and then a 2x 1/2 $1 bill sized piece of nori daily, so there has to be a good amount of nutrient flow.

I mean, the corals came in this week, so they need time, but I'll definitely think about slowly ramping them up to stupid bright and see if that helps. I figure between moderate levels of alk (8-9ish), high nutrient flow from all of the feeding, and eventually brighter lighting once the corals are put in their permenant homes, then maybe I'll get some colors. I guess i'm just impatient about coral color. Clearly I should go buy more supplements

Old 07/14/2018, 02:29 PM   #594
Rakie
Registered Member

Well Reef, I did the overfeeding thing to raise no3/po4 too, and it didn't work. I had to dose kno3 and phosphorus to get the numbers to register on tests and everything improved. This was back when I had the biocube.

But with browning, I don't think no3 is your issue. Maybe a po4 imbalance? But most likely they could want a little more light. You can of course dose some no3 to help balance po4. Dosing po4 lowers no3, dosing no3 lowers po4. As it gets imbalanced it will keep accumulating no3 or po4, and it will not be utilized. Or so my own experimentation has shown me lol.

I run my lights from 7am to 830pm. Peak light is 75% from 8am to 5pm. My light is slowly acclimating to 100% intensity.

My no3 is at 25, po4 at 0.4 (0.37 last time I tested)

Old 07/14/2018, 07:08 PM   #595
ReefWreak
Registered Member

I checked the NO3 since we were talking about it... Yeah, no, the overfeeding thing worked for me... It's at 20ppm. So I threw in some NoPOX that I have around (bought a 5L bottle of it from someone breaking down their tank for a song), and we'll see how much it drops, since I"d like to keep it closer to 10 or below. Though still NO algae. I'm glad to see you're running on the high side of NO3, that gives me some hope... Your colors look dope. Some of my frags look great, but again, 3 days isn't a long time to gauge.

I'm going to try the more light, I bumped the radions up to 55% global, so we'll see if that helps, and I can raise it more. LEDs are tough man, half the people say that even G4 Pros are too strong and should never go above global 50-60%, and some people say "KILL IT WITH FIRE" and run at 80-100%...

I run 12:30-10:30PM, including an hour ramp up and down on each side. Someone recommended shrinking my normal 12 hour cycle down when I was having my algae issues, but now I know it was just a part of the normal tank cycle, and is entirely gone.

Your idea of nutrient balance is interesting, and it seems reasonable, just something that most people would rather not do the math for.

The best thing I can recommend myself, is that SHUT UP NOOB, YOUR TANK IS ONLY 4 MONTHS OLD, LET IT MATURE, and of course, SPS = Stability Promotes Success, which I stole from someone on ReefCentral many years ago, and I have used since then to help others (and they published my quote of it in Coral Magazine a few years ago!). Hopefully the calcium reactor provides some stability, my anthias stop dieing (there's only 2 left from 7 ), and generally the tank just stabilizes and I play with it less.

Sorry for using your thread to troubleshoot/vent, but it's always good just to get it down on "paper" right?

Old 07/14/2018, 09:29 PM   #596
Rakie
Registered Member

My only thing with the radions would be to bump them very slowly. As little as a 5% bump can kill corals, and an adjustment of 1% per day will cause corals to stop using alk/cal/mag and you'll end up with a spike. That happened to me at least.

I always acclimate no more than 7% in two weeks (0.5% per day). THe acclimation mode can do that, but you can't change less than 1% at a time yourself.

I'm also running the diffusers (which I HIGHLY suggest) and they remove about 20% of the total PAR. So running at 75% means I'm around 55% actual PAR output.

Old 07/23/2018, 02:18 PM   #597
Rakie
Registered Member

New rock in. Sand out. It'll be ugly until it gets some coralline growth but I'm patient

Typical View

PC Superman (contested)

LOA Richards Rainbow Stag (will actually be rainbow colored when it grows into a colony)

JF Fox Flame finally recovered from being fragged in half

TDF

Wild Milli I liked

I'm glad things are starting to look semi presentable. Colors are starting to turn around with increased lighting.

Old 07/24/2018, 07:09 AM   #598
ReefWreak
Registered Member

Man those colors are still fantastic. I love the new "rock work". Can't wait to see it grown in.

Too late now, but any time you disturb the sand bed, make sure to have a bottle of prime ready. Lesson learned the hard way for me...

FYI I ended up buying the diffusers and installing them last night. So lights are half-way through the transition from 45% to 55%, but now they have the diffusers, so that'll be ~10-20pts less, so it'll be like no adjustment at all.

Old 07/25/2018, 12:53 AM   #599
Rakie
Registered Member

I have prime, and dosed some bacteria. Didn't register any ammonia or nitrite though. I sucked out the sand in three stages, removed the rock in two, added 4L of matrix and a bunch of sponges from a friend.

Everything is good. Colors are improving with more light. Flow is much better. Fish are settled in. And my frag tank has become an amphipod farm. RIP about 1000 spaghetti worms though

I love the improved look from the diffuser, it will raise par on the outer edges and lower it directly beneath. With your light spacing, depth, and diffusers you'll probably be happy between 85-100% intensity.

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

Old 09/14/2018, 02:23 AM   #600
Rakie
Registered Member

haven't posted here in awhile!

Tags
build, radion, radion diffuser