Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 01/16/2015, 10:24 AM   #201
rrasco
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knd107 View Post
Was your old sump a 40G Breeder? I am trying to gauge if I can rig it into the stock stand. Making a custom sump so it will be lighter and slightly easier to handle but hoping the footprint can fit into the doors before I make it.

Planning 36"W x 15/16"H x 18"D acrylic sump
Yeah, it will fit. You will have to take the doors off to make it work though.

Unread 01/16/2015, 11:02 AM   #202
Knd107
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrasco View Post
Yeah, it will fit. You will have to take the doors off to make it work though.
Thanks for the quick reply and info.

Knd107 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/07/2015, 09:23 PM   #203
Code4
Registered Member

I have been scanning your build. I have a DSA, 140 gallon in my garage. Cabinet, hood, 55 gallon for a sump, protein skimmer and miscellaneous. Been there awhile. Oh and the kit to plumb it. Glad to find your build. I have been scared to put it together. I still am not confident on using the 55 for the sump. It is pretty tall. But there is not enough room for the 40 gallon breeder I originally bought. Can I use a smaller tank? Suggestions, ideas?

Your aquarium is inspiring.

Shelley

Code4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/08/2015, 08:33 AM   #204
steallife904
Registered Member

hey Code4, i sent you a PM about the tank. Which model 140 do you have? It looks like DSA made 2 different 140 gallons. One is 48in long the other is 60in.

steallife904 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/08/2015, 02:45 PM   #205
rrasco
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Code4 View Post
I have been scanning your build. I have a DSA, 140 gallon in my garage. Cabinet, hood, 55 gallon for a sump, protein skimmer and miscellaneous. Been there awhile. Oh and the kit to plumb it. Glad to find your build. I have been scared to put it together. I still am not confident on using the 55 for the sump. It is pretty tall. But there is not enough room for the 40 gallon breeder I originally bought. Can I use a smaller tank? Suggestions, ideas?

Your aquarium is inspiring.

Shelley
I'm not sure what you are asking me. I don't have a 140 so I can't really say whether the 55 will fit under the stand.

Thanks for the words.

Unread 05/08/2015, 06:01 PM   #206
Code4
Registered Member

The 55 does fit in the 60 inch cabinet. I guess I was wondering what, in your opinion, is the smallest sump size you would recommend for a 140 gallon DT. Sadly there is nothing within several hours drive for me to look at. I would have to drive 3.5 hours to see a set up other than Petco. You have so much more experience than I or Petco does! Sorry for my poorly worded question earlier. I really envy people who live where they can drive to a local fish store and not have to make a day of it.

Enjoy your lovely set up.

Unread 05/08/2015, 06:03 PM   #207
Code4
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by steallife904 View Post
hey Code4, i sent you a PM about the tank. Which model 140 do you have? It looks like DSA made 2 different 140 gallons. One is 48in long the other is 60in.

Mine is the 60 inch one. And for anyone wondering, a 40 breeder is to wide to fit in the cabinet.

Shelley

Unread 05/08/2015, 06:09 PM   #208
rrasco
Registered Member

When it comes to sumps you don't want to think smallest sump size. Go as big as you possibly can from the start. More water means more stable temp and parameters. More room/compartments means you have space for more equipment, refugium, etc.

One thing I would recommend is being able to get the skimmer (assuming you're going to run one--which I'd also recommend) in and out to service it. When I had my 40B under this tank for a sump, I couldn't get the skimmer body out which made servicing the pump a nightmare. Don't ask about the time I had to service the pump while it was still in the sump.

Unread 12/15/2016, 02:24 PM   #209
rrasco
Registered Member

It's been a while since I've updated this thread. These pics are from December 2.

I've been attacking the red turf algae hard the last few months and it's considerably less than in these pictures. It's tough to beat though, especially because as it dies off it seems to result in cyano spikes.

Last edited by rrasco; 12/15/2016 at 02:31 PM.
rrasco is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/14/2018, 03:58 PM   #210
rrasco
Registered Member

It's been a while since I updated this. I don't think I've had any major changes, but here is an updated FTS from today: