Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Marine Fish Forums > Seahorses & Pipefish
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 03/10/2011, 03:41 PM   #26
Kay Tickle
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FishGrrl View Post
If you're worried about them hitching to that heater, its mostly seahorse safe because the heating element is on the inside. The only possible problem would be if you had really tiny seahorses. But I love those heaters for seahorses. They're a little weird, yeah, but overall work really well and no issues if a seahorse hitches to them.
With all the talk about certain heaters on RC, I picked these up since my friend suggested them. Since I have the sump on my display tank, the 2 heaters will be in there. But, that's good to know. Thanks!

Current Tank Info: 29g w/ 20g sump; Inhabitants: Pair of H. erectus seahorses, Yasha Goby & Pistol Shrimp, soft corals and macroalgae. Equipment: PAR 38 LEDs, Bubble Magnus protein skimmer, can't remember what kind of pump. :)
Kay Tickle is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/14/2011, 12:41 PM   #27
Kay Tickle
Registered Member

The ammonia in my QT was bouncing around too much for my (and the SHs') comfort, so they moved to the display tank (about 3 weeks earlier than planned). They were in QT for 11 days and I observed them eating very well, and trained them on the feeding station. The time in QT was important, because I was able to gauge how much they ate, pooped and what behaviors were "normal" for my girls. I haven't turned on the main lights yet, but here is the bigger of the girls feeding in the moonlight....

Current Tank Info: 29g w/ 20g sump; Inhabitants: Pair of H. erectus seahorses, Yasha Goby & Pistol Shrimp, soft corals and macroalgae. Equipment: PAR 38 LEDs, Bubble Magnus protein skimmer, can't remember what kind of pump. :)
Unread 03/14/2011, 03:12 PM   #28
MarineGirl411
Registered Member

I love them. =) Very nice. I am getting a Cardiff and I am going to make it a seahorse tank. They are really beautiful!

Current Tank Info: 90 gallon reef, Cardiff Nano Seahorse tank.
MarineGirl411 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/14/2011, 04:01 PM   #29
namxas
Things With Stings R Us!

Interesting pic Kay!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarineGirl411 View Post
I love them. =) Very nice. I am getting a Cardiff and I am going to make it a seahorse tank. They are really beautiful!
Make sure you look into the in's and out's of "plug-n-play" systems and SH. Most run quite a bit too warm for SH "out of the box" and many require flow modifications.

Also, small setups with bent glass tend to distort the view of your critters, so consider this as well unless you're absolutely "sold" on a half cylinder-type shape.

HTH

Current Tank Info: too many to describe, but i think the count is up to "lucky 13"!
namxas is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/14/2011, 05:13 PM   #30
andythorntonjr
Registered Member

Very nice tank! Getting my QT in order now (and fighting down some cyano in the DT) before I take the plunge myself.

andythorntonjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/15/2011, 08:21 AM   #31
Kay Tickle
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by andythorntonjr View Post
Very nice tank! Getting my QT in order now (and fighting down some cyano in the DT) before I take the plunge myself.
Yeah, I had a flatworm issue before I got the SHs and was very happy to go through those kinds of things without worrying about the SHs in there. Not to say, I won't have issues in the future, but at least I feel more prepared. Thanks for the compliment!

Unread 03/15/2011, 09:01 AM   #32
Tankdiver83
Registered Member

Cant wait to see them in the tank.

Tankdiver83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/15/2011, 09:02 AM   #33
Tankdiver83
Registered Member

that night picture is really cool!!

Tankdiver83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/16/2011, 08:18 AM   #34
Kay Tickle
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tankdiver83 View Post
that night picture is really cool!!
Thanks! I'm quite proud of it and have sent it to everyone I know I'm just glad I figured out the white balance on my camera. LEDs are hard to photograph with just a point & shoot.

Unread 10/26/2011, 03:28 PM   #35
Kay Tickle
Registered Member

Updated with some pics:

Unread 10/27/2011, 12:06 AM   #36
Bluemon
Registered Member

Are those yellow finger gorgs?

I always thought those were harmful to seahorses.

But very BEAUTIFUL
i love your tank

Bluemon is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/27/2011, 01:35 PM   #37
Kay Tickle
Registered Member

Thanks for the compliment Bluemon!

I had researched quite a bit, and never came across anything negative about gorgonians, except not to make that their main hitch, since it could start to irritate their tails. I hadn't read anything specifically about yellow fingers? I've had that gorgonian for probably 6 months and the seahorses absolutely loved it. However, the gorgonian is not doing so well now. It is non-photosynthetic, so it needs to be fed. After a few months, the polyps stopped opening. It was suggested to move it out of the direct light, and it has since gotten a little better, but I don't know how much longer it has.

Unread 10/27/2011, 01:44 PM   #38
NissanVersa1
Registered Member

Very nice tank and SH.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I897 using Tapatalk

NissanVersa1 is offline   Reply With Quote