Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 10/01/2015, 09:24 PM   #51
neuro
the cat did it

i'm stealing your ideas. no take backs!

=D

neuro is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/01/2015, 09:24 PM   #52
neuro
the cat did it

dope!

Unread 10/01/2015, 10:08 PM   #53
Broadfield
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by neuro View Post
i'm stealing your ideas. no take backs!

=D
Yeah, but I'm gonna charge you $1/idea... that will be $3 sir!

Broadfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/01/2015, 10:17 PM   #54
Broadfield
Registered Member

Soooooo, I swapped out my (3) Hydra 52's for (5) Primes. I'm sure some might think I'm crazy, but I'll explain why I did it. First off, I have had Hydra 52's on a couple of different tanks and have never been happy with the spectrum. I could never get the crisp white/blue color like that of a Kessil. So I walk into MACNA this year and the first thing I see is the Aqua Illumination booth. There sits an Innovative Marine tank with a couple of Primes over it. I'm instantly drawn to it because of the light spectrum. I immediately ask one of the AI guys if they mind giving me the color percentages they are using so I can get the same look on my 52's. He says "NO"! As I'm thinking in my head, "what a ****", he instantly follows up with: "no, because the 52's cannot duplicate this spectrum." I obviously assumed the Primes used the same pucks as the 52's and 26's... but I was wrong. The Primes use Cree Blues in place of the Cree Royal Blues found on the 26/52. So my very next question was about the PAR levels of the Primes and if they would be enough on my tank. He said that they absolutely would be enough for a Reefer 450. He claimed they have them on plenty of tanks at the office with same depth and have great growth from SPS that are midway to high in the tank... which is exactly what I want since I'm doing LPS and softies also. So I pulled the trigger and sold all of my 52's, mounts etc and purchased the Primes... even made some money in the whole deal.

So got them on about a couple weeks ago and am very happy that I took the chance on them. My PAR fears were eliminated once I pulled the PAR meter out. I'm at 500 PAR at 6" below the water line and around 60-75 on the substrate. That's even with the lights sitting as high as they can on the AI brackets. I also don't get any spill, front-to-back, like I did with the 52's. On top of that, I really like the look of 5 much smaller fixtures.

I just got my Neptune WAV kit put in last night... I'll be posting up info about that soon. First impressions: WOW!

A tad bit of modification to the Reefer overflow cover:

I put my new light fixture up also

Unread 10/01/2015, 11:39 PM   #55
andrek787
Registered Member

There are two different versions of Hydra52/26 actually made. The US and EU version. The only difference is that US versions use a Royal Blue Cree led, where as EU version has Blue Cree Led.

I recently picked up a 4 x hydra52s ( EU versions ) from the RC classifieds and the seller explained this to me. Thats why the new Hydra52 HD version drops the deep blue and offers both Blue and Royal Blue channels

Unread 10/02/2015, 12:04 AM   #56
Broadfield
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrek787 View Post
There are two different versions of Hydra52/26 actually made. The US and EU version. The only difference is that US versions use a Royal Blue Cree led, where as EU version has Blue Cree Led.

I recently picked up a 4 x hydra52s ( EU versions ) from the RC classifieds and the seller explained this to me. Thats why the new Hydra52 HD version drops the deep blue and offers both Blue and Royal Blue channels
Yeah, I spoke in depth with AI and even the AI European rep at MACNA. The Primes are still slightly different than the Euro 52. The Euro uses OSRAM OSLON Very Deep Blue and the Prime uses OSRAM SQUARE Deep Blue. On top of that, the new Hydra 26/52HD uses something different than the Euro, the Prime and the old 26/52... it uses Cree Royal Blue in conjunction with the Cree Blue. So it looks like this:

Prime: Cree Deep Blue + Cree Blue
EU 52: Cree Very Deep Blue + Cree Blue
US 52: Cree Royal Blue + Cree Deep Blue
US 52HD: Cree Royal Blue + Cree Blue

I probably would of been satisfied with the pucks from the Euro, but that would of been some serious scratch for 12 of them.

Unread 10/02/2015, 01:09 AM   #57
andrek787
Registered Member

Very interesting info.

I want to try replacing 1 or 2 pucks in my EU Hydra52 with US Hydra52 pucks to see what the spectrum would be. Technically having more variety of LEDs in a fixture would provide a more complete spectrum to the corals. A US/EU hybrid Hydra52 would have UV, Violet, Very Deep Blue, Deep Blue, Royal Blue and Blue LED chips.

BTW, If you want I may be able to get more EU Hydra52s.

Unread 10/02/2015, 05:02 AM   #58
Yash
Registered Member

Looking great! Love the look of these new lights!

Yash is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/02/2015, 09:11 AM   #59
nuxx
RC Sponsor

Love the look of the lights

We have 6 A360WEs mounted on goosenecks above our tank with no canopy

TankStop - Fish and Coral

470G Display - Build Thread

Current Tank Info: Retired - 470 Gallon Mixed Reef (120x29x31")
nuxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/05/2015, 11:43 AM   #60
nuxx
RC Sponsor

Sorry for more car offtopic...

Just picked this up for my wife

Unread 10/05/2015, 12:51 PM   #61
dabob79
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nuxx View Post
Sorry for more car offtopic...

Just picked this up for my wife

I'm trading my Charger in on a Hellcat next year!

Current Tank Info: Marineland 93 gallon rimless cube, Radion LED/T5 Combo, Eshopps sump, Nyos skimmer, Apex controller
dabob79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/05/2015, 01:47 PM   #62
nuxx
RC Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by dabob79 View Post
I'm trading my Charger in on a Hellcat next year!
Nice

Unread 10/09/2015, 11:38 PM   #63
neuro
the cat did it

wanted to ask, how did you create or get the black back board to mount everything onto?

Unread 10/12/2015, 03:57 AM   #64
adddo
“Goodnight, tiny humans.”

Nice tank and cars!

//Bjarne
adddo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/18/2015, 12:30 PM   #65
Broadfield
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by neuro View Post
wanted to ask, how did you create or get the black back board to mount everything onto?
That is simply Rubbermaid brand shelving from Home Depot... cut to length.

Unread 10/18/2015, 12:48 PM   #66
Broadfield
Registered Member

I had a few corals that I transferred over from my old nano, but recently picked up some frags from a live sale...

IMG_4687 by Toby Broadfield, on Flickr

IMG_4675 by Toby Broadfield, on Flickr

IMG_4670 by Toby Broadfield, on Flickr

IMG_4668 by Toby Broadfield, on Flickr

IMG_4663 by Toby Broadfield, on Flickr

IMG_4629 by Toby Broadfield, on Flickr

IMG_4520 by Toby Broadfield, on Flickr

IMG_4526 by Toby Broadfield, on Flickr

IMG_4523 by Toby Broadfield, on Flickr

Unread 11/01/2015, 04:44 PM   #67
spbk84
Registered Member

Nice set up. How is your Tank Progressing? I have been considering getting one of these. Is the set up silent?

spbk84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/01/2015, 05:34 PM   #68
Broadfield
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by spbk84 View Post
Nice set up. How is your Tank Progressing? I have been considering getting one of these. Is the set up silent?
With an Ecotech Vectra DC return pump and Nyos Quantum skimmer, it's basically dead silent!

Unread 11/01/2015, 06:00 PM   #69
Broadfield
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by spbk84 View Post
How is your Tank Progressing?
Recently picked up a nice Goniopora Norfolkensis species and some Gold Tip Cloves from a LFS for a really good price. I have a small shipment of coral coming in from Vivid Aquariums this week. Stocking this thing at a fairly decent clip. I'll be adding fish in about 6 weeks.

IMG_4719 by Toby Broadfield, on Flickr

IMG_4811 by Toby Broadfield, on Flickr

Unread 12/06/2015, 04:22 PM   #70
wheels2040
Registered Member

Are you still liking the Primes over the Hydra 52s? I am going to pickup a Reefer 350 first part of next year. I have a Hydra 52 on my current tank and was going to move it along with a new one to the 350, but after seeing your Prime setup, I was thinking of going with 3 Primes.

wheels2040 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/06/2015, 08:08 PM   #71
Bman562
Registered Member

Broadfield, sweet tank. Btw, awesome 40.

Bman562 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/31/2015, 05:14 AM   #72
JWClark
Registered Member

How did you tee off the return line? Do you think it is possible to attach a seaswirl? Pick up my tank today and will be able to have a look/feel of it today.

Current Tank Info: Reefer 450 seed tank for the retirement 315gal Reef Savvy build.
JWClark is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/01/2016, 01:17 PM   #73
ruckuss
Registered Member

Awesome tank, how are the Primes working out for you? I'm thinking of getting 3 for my reefer 250.

ruckuss is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/08/2016, 09:37 AM   #74
Broadfield
Registered Member

Ok, I have a major update, but not necessarily by choice. I completely removed all of my sand and rock, then replaced with all new. Here's why:

When I did my original aquascape, I used rock that I aquired from a friend. The pieces weren't ideal, but I used hydraulic cement to make structures that I was happy with... bonding smaller rocks together to make larger ones, making overhangs etc. Everything was fine for the first three months. I then noticed a couple of the cemented joints starting to "break" down. The cement was getting soft and starting to deteriorate. The small dark grey parts of the cement were flaking away and making the sand in the area look bad. Luckily, the "infected" areas were not really structural ones so I didn't worry about it too much. The areas where I really needed the support were still solid and completely intact. Until about a month ago when those areas started to also break down. Now the sand really looked bad and I was going to be facing a landslide of reef rock before too long. On top of that, I was never happy with the sand. To start off, it was REALLY dusty. It also wasn't consistent. It had larger chunks of stuff that would color up with surface algae and then look really out of place in the sand. So being completely fed up, I ordered up 120 lbs or Marco Rocks and Tropic Eden Miniflakes. In the past, I used Marco Rocks in my nano and was 100% happy with them.

I put all of my coral in my sump and performed a 24 hour swap. First getting the rock out and then the messy job of getting the sand out... without removing any of the water. Here it is with everything out:

IMG_5122 by Toby Broadfield, on Flickr

I think I clogged up about 20 filter socks throughout this process lol. It was very late at this point so I let the tank clear up over night and then I continued on with it when I got home from work the next day. I did my aquascaping with the new Marco Rocks. Since they sent me a nice variety of large pieces, I didn't have to bond anything together to get the look I was after. Next up was the Tropic Eden sand. Let me tell you, this stuff is basically dust free... it's unbelievable! Then I simply moved the corals back into the DT and I was good to go. I used a bottle of Dr. Tim's All-In-One to make sure I didn't have a crazy cycle. All parameters tested great every day. I had a very minor, 1 week long diatom bloom. And that was it. I have had great results with Dr. Tim's in the past and the results were equally impressive this time around. Back in business:

IMG_5285 by Toby Broadfield, on Flickr

A quick video I made for documentation:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rbhYkA5m4O0

Last edited by Broadfield; 01/08/2016 at 09:43 AM.
Unread 01/12/2016, 08:48 PM   #75
DVW
Registered Member

Adapter between your return plumbing and Rea Sea plumbing

What sch 80 adapter did you use between your return plumbing and the Rea Sea plumbing?

Tank looks great btw!

Thanks

DVW is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
aqua illuminations, nyos, red sea, reefer 450