Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Lighting, Filtration & Other Equipment
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 10/24/2018, 07:29 PM   #1
gary504504
Registered Member

Apex question

So i wanna get an apex and hook up a large display like the one in the picture, my question is i have wifi but does the monitor need wifi capabilities or can i just use a large monitor, i like the look of the large display and would mount on the wall nearby tank,but i dont wanna buy a smart tv for internet connectivity if i dont need to,i do not own a apex yet so i dont know if i just need a certain module or do the unit connect to the monitor wirelessly thru wifi or bluetooth connection, ive seen them connect to tablets but tablets have operating systems is that a requirement

Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_7078.jpg (54.5 KB, 18 views)

Current Tank Info: 130 gal sps tank

Last edited by gary504504; 10/24/2018 at 07:36 PM.
gary504504 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/24/2018, 07:47 PM   #2
slief
RC Sponsor

You will need to be able to connect the tv to the network and at the very least have a web browser to connect to the Apex locally via the network. As such, that will require a smart tv. If you want to access the Apex through Fusion, you will also need Internet connectivity.

Current Tank Info: 480G display mixed reef, 90G sump, 90G refugium, 60G display refugium. Check out my build thread: http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1783476
slief is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/24/2018, 08:02 PM   #3
gary504504
Registered Member

I have internet but if i connect through fusion do i still need a browser on the tv,is fusion a module or web page/server for the apex,sorry for all the questions only controller ive ever used was my reefkeeper elite which came with a display

Current Tank Info: 130 gal sps tank
gary504504 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/25/2018, 03:33 PM   #4
slief
RC Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by gary504504 View Post
I have internet but if i connect through fusion do i still need a browser on the tv,is fusion a module or web page/server for the apex,sorry for all the questions only controller ive ever used was my reefkeeper elite which came with a display
Fusion uses a browser or the app and there is no Fusion app for a smart tv. Only Android OS or iOS and I don’t think that the Fusion Android app is compatible with Android TV OS found on some smart TV’s like the Sony. As mentioned in my original response, you will need a browser to access fusion or the local Apex interface. The good thing is that some smart tv’s have browser capabilities. I just don’t know which those are.

Current Tank Info: 480G display mixed reef, 90G sump, 90G refugium, 60G display refugium. Check out my build thread: http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1783476
slief is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/25/2018, 04:05 PM   #5
homer1475
Registered Member

I just don't see the point unless its a touch screen? Does anyone really need to know whats going on in fusion so large that the neighbors can see it?

Lol

Anyways, what a lot of people do(myself included) is just to mount a cheap tablet to access fusion as a larger display.

EDIT:
It looks as though they are using apple TV to access the internet and thus fusion. I would think a cheap roku and a non smart TV would work just fine.

Originally posted by der_wille_zur_macht:

"He's just taking his lunch to work"
homer1475 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/29/2018, 09:05 AM   #6
Spyderturbo007
Registered Member

I use a Kindle Fire mounted to the wall powered with a PoE Injector. It's not huge, but it's very helpful being a touch screen.

Spyderturbo007 is offline   Reply With Quote