Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Marine Fish Forums > Reef Fishes
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 07/29/2017, 09:13 AM   #1
twitchy
Registered Member

How long does it take a clown to change sex?

I apologise if this answer is out there somewhere, I tried using the search function first.

My situation is that I had a pair of clowns for a few years, and the female passed. I still have the male and was wondering how long to wait before he turns to a female, so I can add another smaller clown to be the male?

twitchy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/29/2017, 09:37 AM   #2
praveen956
Registered Member

I'm not an expert by any means, but if I understand correctly, a clown fish can change into a female anytime but once it becomes female it cannot change back to male. Can you simply add a male and the dominant one should turn into female.. lets wait for answers from experienced hobbyists..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

praveen956 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/29/2017, 05:11 PM   #3
CoralsAddiction
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by twitchy View Post
I apologise if this answer is out there somewhere, I tried using the search function first.

My situation is that I had a pair of clowns for a few years, and the female passed. I still have the male and was wondering how long to wait before he turns to a female, so I can add another smaller clown to be the male?
I recently broke up a mated pair of clowns and kept the breeding male. I paired the male with a juvi clown. It took about 2-3 weeks for the male to start exhibiting the same behavior towards the juvi as his previous mate (female) did towards him when they were still together. Now about 2 months later it's a total domination. I am pretty sure my breeding male that I paired up with a juvi clown has turned into a female.

CoralsAddiction is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/30/2017, 11:03 AM   #4
twitchy
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoralsAddiction View Post
I recently broke up a mated pair of clowns and kept the breeding male. I paired the male with a juvi clown. It took about 2-3 weeks for the male to start exhibiting the same behavior towards the juvi as his previous mate (female) did towards him when they were still together. Now about 2 months later it's a total domination. I am pretty sure my breeding male that I paired up with a juvi clown has turned into a female.
How long did you wait after you broke them up before adding the juvi?

Unread 07/30/2017, 04:43 PM   #5
CoralsAddiction
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by twitchy View Post
How long did you wait after you broke them up before adding the juvi?
No waiting. I paired the breeding male with the juvi on the same day I separated him from his female.

CoralsAddiction is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/30/2017, 06:59 PM   #6
twitchy
Registered Member

Thanks for the help guys, looks like I will be picking up a juvi next time I go to the LFS