Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Tank Journals & Builds
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 10/31/2017, 06:07 AM   #701
homer1475
Registered Member

Well coral loss has stopped, I think! My one remaining hammer still doesn't look it's best, but it still inflates every day. So I'm really at a loss here on the cause, but I did manage to completely wipe out 99% of my euphyllia. Every other coral in the tank is open, growing, and thriving. Even the candy cane I fragged down to 1 head looks to be close to splitting already.

Algae has been running rampant and is getting worse, manual removal, agressive GFO use(changed every other week), feeding the fish every other day(just a very small pinch of flake and about 10 NLS pellets), ATS that still isn't working properly, lights turned down to 6 hours a day, and cleaning up of my sump with marine pure remoavl is all I can really do at this point.

I'll either end up with a really nice FOWLR setup, or things will eventually turn around. At this point I don't care either way, but I will not put another coral in this tank until something changes.

To make my life easier I purchased a milwaukee salinity meter. Could not get it to 0 out with their supplied steam distilled water. After calling BRS(figured they would just have me return it and send me out another), they put me in touch with milwaukee who had me try a couple things. After a day of emailing back and forth they determined the thing might have been fouled up in shipping. They had me send it back to them, and they will check it, or send me out a new unit. Of course my wife was a huge PITA as she was yelling at me for buying in her words "an expensive piece of sh*t" as she finds most stuff I buy for the tank as sh*t. But lets not forget the 80$ a week we spend on her nails, or the 60$ every couple weeks on her hair that I think is stupid. lol

Originally posted by der_wille_zur_macht:

"He's just taking his lunch to work"
homer1475 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/31/2017, 08:34 AM   #702
soulpatch
Registered Member

Oh Homer.... You need to learn that the day the package is set to arrive is the day you schedule her nails or have a package arrive for her as well...

Be careful with the amount of GFO you are using and when you decide to pull it you need to step it back. Honestly if you went from 0 to full power GFO that would explain a lot of coral issues as it dramatically strips water of phos and other elements....

Some have bar tabs. I have a coral tab at my LFS. Life goals.
soulpatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/31/2017, 01:13 PM   #703
homer1475
Registered Member

Ive been running GFO since day 1 on this tank because of the known issue of PO4 with dry pukani. I'm not to worried about stripping to much to fast.

Hanna ULR still shows 0 PO4 and 2.5ppm of NO3 via salifert. But I know thats wrong by the sheer amount of algae on my rocks.

Unread 11/07/2017, 07:10 AM   #704
homer1475
Registered Member

Milwaukee stepped up and sent me a new unit. Great CS!

After doing some research I think I may end up getting either a tomini or yellow eye kole tang. Heavily leaning toward the kole as they just look better in my eyes. Awesome GHA eaters, and these 2 stay on the smaller side. LA say 70G or larger, so I think I should be ok with 1.

Unread 11/07/2017, 07:47 AM   #705
soulpatch
Registered Member

If you want a fish to power through the gha and you could drop right in without qt get a fw Molly.

If you still want a tang cool. I have a bristletooth and he is an a hole but cool looking. The Molly is all of 3 bucks though and will do some serious damage to the ghat in meantime

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Unread 11/07/2017, 07:50 AM   #706
homer1475
Registered Member

I thought about acclimating mollies, but from what I've read it's pretty much a crap shoot on whether they make it long term or not.

And yes my wife wants a tang(yellow of course), but as thats out of the question. I showed her the yellow eye kole and she really likes the looks of that one.

Only problem now is with HI halting all fish capturing, it might be hard to find one right now.

Unread 11/07/2017, 05:09 PM   #707
homer1475
Registered Member

Yellow eye kole tang ordered from bluezoo. The only place around that has one.

I was told by several places I called because of the recent problems with HI halting all fishing, that if I find one, I better grab it. No one will be able to order one from any supplier since it is only found in HI waters.

Unread 11/14/2017, 08:45 AM   #708
homer1475
Registered Member

Well kole tang died in during TTM.

Have an email into bluezoo for a replacement. Will wait to see what happens. Have about 4 hours until they are open for the day. I hope they don't ask for the body back as I will more then likely have to pay shipping on the return as well as a new fish.

First fish I've ever bought online, not having a good experience for the first time.

Unread 11/14/2017, 09:10 AM   #709
soulpatch
Registered Member

Live aquaria doesnt ask for the fish back and I doubt blue zoo will either. Not like you are trying to claim a gem tang that they want to be sure of before resending a 1K fish...

Still sucks.

I have to boot up my TTM tanks again so I can get in my copperband. Need something else for my aiptasia. I am holding them at bay but it is an eventual loosing battle...

Unread 11/15/2017, 03:14 AM   #710
homer1475
Registered Member

Umm.... totally false alarm on the dead fish!

I even took it out of the water, placed it on my table, and took photos of it!!!!

I then threw it back in the 10G tank I have for TTM until I heard from blue zoo. Low and behold, its upright and swimming just fine this morning. It's looking quite pale, and skinny, but swimming and breathing just fine.

I have no explanation for this one. I'll certainly have to email blue zoo back. I find it kind of odd that I emailed them at 5am their time, and I have yet to hear back from them in 24 hours.

Unread 11/15/2017, 03:51 AM   #711
homer1475
Registered Member

Looks like I will be swapping out some rock.

Found a local reefer shutting down their tank after 10 years in the hobby. He's selling off 200+ pounds of LR @ 2$ a pound. It's still wet and in his tank, full of corraline and life. Best part is I get to pick the pieces I want. Mostly tonga, pukani, and figi from years ago. Just have to go next week and pick it up. I will most likely be bringing buckets and coolers with me to keep it live.

Unread 11/15/2017, 03:34 PM   #712
Pandagobyguy
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by homer1475 View Post
Umm.... totally false alarm on the dead fish!

I even took it out of the water, placed it on my table, and took photos of it!!!!

I then threw it back in the 10G tank I have for TTM until I heard from blue zoo. Low and behold, its upright and swimming just fine this morning. It's looking quite pale, and skinny, but swimming and breathing just fine.

I have no explanation for this one. I'll certainly have to email blue zoo back. I find it kind of odd that I emailed them at 5am their time, and I have yet to hear back from them in 24 hours.
Wow that's surprising... the little guy fainted i guess....

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Pandagobyguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/15/2017, 03:57 PM   #713
homer1475
Registered Member

So it looks like I'm going to reboot my tank with all new sand and new LR.

Just ordered 40 pounds of dry special grade and another 20 pounds of fiji pink for the top layer.

While helping my mother in law do some "before winter" projects today, I was in her attic and my brother in laws old 40G is there. Perfect!!

I'm going to transfer everything into the 40 with a few pf my current rocks and all my corals, put the ATI or even maybe one of my black boxes over it for a while so I can empty out, and clean up the tank. Put in rocks, new sand, Refill(will probably take me 2 days), then put everything back into the tank. I'm hoping for no cycle, but I'll certainly test it to see if there is any.

While the tank is empty there is a couple things I want to do like remount my apex gear, level the sump better, pull the tank away from the wall a bit more. Just some small stuff to make life easier now that I can move it.

Unread 11/17/2017, 07:41 AM   #714
homer1475
Registered Member

Yesterday BRS started their black friday sales. Since I ordered my sand on wednesday, I emailed them and they will price match the sale!

Now that is great CS!

Unread 11/17/2017, 10:44 AM   #715
Pandagobyguy
Registered Member

Nice! BRS really does seem like a quality co.

Pandagobyguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/22/2017, 05:25 AM   #716
homer1475
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pandagobyguy View Post
Nice! BRS really does seem like a quality co.

Yes BRS is most definitely a quality company!

On to my tank.

Went for a drive to Vestal to pick up some LR from a guy who was tearing down his tank. Got it for a song really(2 bucks a pound), along with a few hermits, a fighting conch, and some larger nassarius snails. Decent quality LR thats been in a tank for about 6 years and full of life. I'm not super happy as I was told he had a mix of pukani, tonga shelve and base rock, but it is what it is and it's in better shape then my algae ridden pukani. 90% of it was just plain base rock so grabbed a few chunks of it and a few others that look interesting. Got 40# of arogonite dry reef sand and 20# of fiji pink( I really like the looks of fine sugar sand, but hate that it blows all over).

I currently have a regular 40G sitting on my fish room floor with the rock I just bought sitting in it with a PH and heater. My action plan consists of any of the pukani in my tank I'm going to keep will go in the 40 with my fish. Place the rest of the rock in a brute tub and acid wash it, treat again with LC, bust a good portion of it into rubble, cure it, throw it in the sump. Then empty the tank, throw out the sand, clean tank, resetup.

Any of the pukani I don't use in the DT I think I'm going to bust up and throw in my sump. Since I took out the marine pure, my pod population seems to be on the decline(wrasse and mandy look a little thin) as there is nothing in my fuge section of the sump. Some nice LR rubble will add to the filtration and be a safe haven for pods.

Since the tank will be empty there are a few things I've been wanting to fix but could not do with a full tank.

I was originally thinking I could do this over the course of a few days and just leave my fish and corals in the 40 with my ATI over it. But that is not going to happen as I don't think its a very sustainable plan. Instead I think I can get it all accomplished and resetup in 2 days or less.

I'm planning on 0 cycle with all LR, but thinking I may get a small cycle with the mix of dry/live sand. I will of course test the biofilter before putting anything back into the tank.

Fingers crossed this solves my issues with this tank. If it doesn't, by this time next year I may just throw in the towel as I do not enjoy the tank anymore and just see it as more work when I get home from work.

Unread 11/29/2017, 05:06 AM   #717
homer1475
Registered Member

Been super busy at work so haven't had the time to do the LR, and sand yet.

SO I continue to loose corals, and still have no idea why. I'm down to my torch, 2 different colors of plating monti's, 1 fungia, 1 head of candy cane, and 2 small heads of blasto. That's all that's left in my tank for coral. I pretty much have a FOWLR setup.

I guess if I wait a few more weeks, I'll have just fish left and I can completely start fresh.

Unread 11/29/2017, 08:57 AM   #718
soulpatch
Registered Member

I am still boggled as to what it could be impacting you. Almost leaning to pest at this moment....

Unread 11/29/2017, 02:54 PM   #719
homer1475
Registered Member

if it's a pest, I have no idea what kind?

There is no bite marks of any kind, nothing i can see, and trust me, I've inspected well! Nothing crawling on them, nothing coming out at night, and absolutely nothing in my water(second triton test).

I'm at a loss other then algae. I scrub, pull, run GFO changed every other week, ATS, and added a couple algae eaters, yet I still can't get a grip on it and beat it back.

It seems as though the algae creeps in, irritates the coral to where it won't open anymore, starving it of food so they just wither away.

Unread 12/03/2017, 12:50 PM   #720
homer1475
Registered Member

Ok so I have tuesday and wednesday off from work, and my wife has to work both days. Perfect time to try and do this swap.

I currently have about 50 pounds of rock in a old 40G tank, about 130 gallons of water mixed up, 40 pounds of special reef grade dry sand, and 20 pounds of fiji pink all ready to go.

My plan is to remove the rock currently in the 40, place a few of my current rocks in there, remove everything else from my DT, throw the sand away, and clean everything from top to bottom with bleach and/or vinegar.

Then put new/old rock in for my aquascape(thinking this will take me a while, I'm very OCD when it comes to aquascaping), add rinsed dry sand, fill with water, add livestock back.

I was orginally worried about my corals, but all I have left is 2 different plating montis, a torch, a goniopora, 1 head of candycane, 3 heads of blasto, and a few rock flower nems. My only concern now is the army of chitons I have. I have no idea how to get them off the rocks?

Anyone with suggestions?

Unread 12/05/2017, 07:08 AM   #721
homer1475
Registered Member

Today is the day!

It seems I'm in luck as all of my chitons are on one rock and it happens to be a rock I want to keep.

Wish me luck! I'll post some pics after I'm finished.

Unread 12/05/2017, 06:53 PM   #722
LQT
Registered Member

So... how’d it go?

Deep Blue 57 Edge ATI Acro Garden Build Thread
http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?p=25573384#post25573384

Current Tank Info: DeepBlue 57 Edge
LQT is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/06/2017, 03:18 AM   #723
homer1475
Registered Member

Well after 14 exhausting hours, I got it finished.

Not super happy with the aquascape, but it will work and I'll add more to it once I acid wash the pukani I just took out. 50# of base rock is not the same as 50# of pukani! It looks like there is no rock in the tank, which I'm ok with as there is now plenty of sandbed for corals, but the tank looks slightly empty. Eventually I want to bust some of the pukani up into rubble and place it in my sump as a pod haven since I pulled the marine pure a while back.

I got it filled up late and ran out of mixed up water(only about 5 gallons short). I had enough to get things rolling, but had to leave the overflow pretty empty. Got more mixed up late last night and just woke up to throw it in.

Fish, corals, and inverts all seem to be doing fine this morning in a regular 40G. I put a dish of sand in there last night as my leopard seems super stressed out. Not 30 seconds after I put it in the tank, she dove straight for it and hasn't come out since. lol

Ended up only loosing 1 chiton as I could not find it. Got stuck by many bristle worms(didn't even feel it except when my fingers rubbed together something felt fuzzy), looked down at my fingers and they were super fuzzy. lol First time I've been stuck by one.

Wow was my sandbed like a rock!!! And that's an understatement. I went to pull the 3 large rocks that made up the bottom of the aquascape, the entire sandbed, and those three rocks were one solid mass! I had to hit them a few times with a hammer to get it to break up so I could remove it.

When I wake up a bit more and get my phone I'll throw some pics up. I documented the entire process this time.

Unread 12/06/2017, 03:21 AM   #724
homer1475
Registered Member

Pics.....

The temp holding tank(regular 40G)

Spare bedroom(AKA fish room) a mess getting ready.

All the old rock, and one bucket of new rock.

Tank finally empty.

Tank empty, now for the sump.

Sump empty and removed. I have to give a shout out to Soulpatch for this, but the entire bottom of my stand under the sump was soaking wet. Had he not suggested I epoxy painted it, it would be a ruined stand being MDF. You can see where the skimmer overflowed a few times.

Living room a mess! Good thing my wife was at work!

And I had the entire kitchen counter taken up with dirty nasty pumps, skimmers, PH, etc....

The rock hard sandbed. I was able to take most of it out just like rocks.

And the pukani removed. You can see the massive amount of GHA on it, and no thats not coralline, but green algae. Wonder if I can sell it to that new brewery thats selling green algae beer? LMAO

Last edited by homer1475; 12/06/2017 at 03:34 AM.
Unread 12/06/2017, 03:22 AM   #725
homer1475
Registered Member

More pics.....

Now that the tank was empty and I had a few hours, I think I may have finally fixed the broken overflow. It's not pretty, but after the fifth time it gets pretty gunked up with weldon. Luckily its on the side thats next to the TV so it really can't be seen.

Sump all cleaned up

Filling her up!

Last edited by homer1475; 12/06/2017 at 03:39 AM.