Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Tank Journals & Builds
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 09/15/2017, 06:55 AM   #676
homer1475
Registered Member

Seems as though I have another loss.

My leopard wrasse has been no where to be found the last 3 days. My wife swears she saw her yesterday morning, I'm not home when my lights come on, but I have not seen her in 3 days.

I'm not sure if she's just not used to the light and staying hidden, or she has died.

Originally posted by der_wille_zur_macht:

"He's just taking his lunch to work"
homer1475 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/15/2017, 07:04 AM   #677
soulpatch
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by homer1475 View Post
I do have way more then I ever had in my biocube, and some are the size of a dime! But I only see them on the corals after they have receded. I'll keep a better eye out for them for now.

Only other thing I've noticed is my tank is way hotter then it used to be. My cooling fan kicks on about mid day, and stays on for a few hours after lights out. Just excess heat from the lights.

Think I might lower my heater a bit to compensate so my temps don't get into the 90's.
With the splash shield on the ATI it actually blows the heat directly down which can cause issues for some tanks. I would consider either more colling in the sump OR to add a fan unit on the back lip of the tank.

I keep my tank in the 78-80 range but in summer I will hit 81 on some days. Not a concern for me but I monitor it closely. That is with my ATI in a canopy. My tank is in the basement though so thankfully the temps in the room don't go much over 70.

Some have bar tabs. I have a coral tab at my LFS. Life goals.
soulpatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/20/2017, 03:28 AM   #678
homer1475
Registered Member

Well with the deaths of 2 of my fish, and absolutely no idea why(yes I know sometimes fish just die) as everything in my tests come back fine, and I got an email from my LFS that they were having a 40% off sale as they have to move tanks for their store reno. The wife and I decided to go for a drive and see what he has for fish.

They had a ton of clown, and I do mean a ton! Every tank had at least 4 clown in it and some even had 10 or 15. But anyways my wife fell in love with an orchid dottyback and a bicolor blenny.

I'm a little worried about the addition of the bicolor and my already very fat and established "old man" starry blenny(We call him an old man because of his super white "eyebrows" and "mustache", just reminds us of an old man lol). The LFS said my tank is large enough and both are rather peaceful fish and should get along just fine.

Just 2 more fish and my stock list will be complete. Still on the lookout for a tanaka's pygmy wrasse and a black leopard.

I'm really bummed my leopard died as she was my favorite fish, but she was a d*ck and chased everything in the tank. She managed to kill a black leopard by harassing it to death, and she would chase the h*ll out of my flame angel. So I'm not super sad to see her die, but I hate seeing any fish die for no reason or a reason I can't explain. Specially when your not 100% certain they died as you can't find any bodies.

Don't think I will QT these 2 unless something comes up while going through TTM, but they will most certainly go through TTM and 2 rounds of prazi. Just can't be a*sed to setup a QT, and I pretty much trust my LFS as far as any disease other then ick. I know my LFS has ick in his tanks, h*ll it's pretty unavoidable when you go through 50 to 100 fish every week.

I find it funny that I was like the fifth or sixth customer to walk through his door when he opened a few years back, now its a thriving little shop with about 30 or so fish only tanks, roughly 20 coral only tanks, 2 large frag tanks, and another 100 or so fresh water tanks.

Unread 09/21/2017, 02:33 PM   #679
homer1475
Registered Member

GREAT NEWS!!!!!

While doing some weekly maintenance, I was cleaning out my overflow(since the light doesn't hit back there anymore all the algae that was in there was dying) and pulled all the pipes to let it empty out. A few minutes later I heard a splashing. Low and behold it's my leopard wrasse!

I looked high and low for her and had chalked her up to dead since I hadn't seen her in a week. The algae must have been so thick in the overflow I just couldn't see her in there. She was a little thin and week, but today shes swimming all over and super fat.

I checked on my ATS and it seems to be coming along. I was thinking by this time I would have some nice thick growth, but I'm just not seeing it yet. I'll post some pics from tapatalk in the next post.

My frogspawn seems to be recovering, although it's going to take some time to be sure, it looks a little bit more inflated then it has been, and doesn't seem to be receding anymore.

Unread 09/21/2017, 02:34 PM   #680
homer1475
Registered Member

This is after a week of growth. Front and back of screen.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Unread 09/27/2017, 04:40 AM   #681
homer1475
Registered Member

Now that summer is over and I'm not working 80+ hours a week I think its time to get serious and claim all out war on this algae. I'm starting with 3 days lights out and will continue doing this for a couple days every week for the next couple weeks. I'm thinking this should kick start the ATS as I got nothing going on there. I'll start scrubbing the rocks with my weekly WC's again. Repurchased a python gravel cleaner as I have a thick mat of dead algae and detritus in the rear corners of my tank. Oddly enough I have a medium sized rock flower nem and scoly that prefer this cesspool area, go figure? Bought all Hanna test kits(ALK, phosphorus, and calcium), they just seem to be easier to use then salifert and trying to determine at what point I should stop(is it really pink, or slightly pink?). I will cross refrence the hanna's with salifert for a while just for my own sanity, but the last couple tests have both matched so far.

Unread 09/27/2017, 07:42 AM   #682
soulpatch
Registered Member

I hate to be a downer but I would have steered you away from the Hanna calcium tester. The alk is ok but I have issues with mine currently not reading correctly. The phos test is easy to use but the packets can be a pain and you have to ensure everything gets in the vial or your tests can be off.

Honestly if I were you I woudl start peroxide dipping the rock you can pull and dip. Then start dosing peroxide to the tank daily to stop the growth. It is not likely that your ATS is going to outcompete it as you have too much growth in your DT for those nutrients to get down to your sump. I think you end game should be to wipe it first with the aid of peroxide and water changes then bring on the ATS afterwards.

Unread 09/29/2017, 05:04 AM   #683
homer1475
Registered Member

The hanna calcium that bad? Haven't purchased one yet. Just figured with the ease of use with the ALK and PO4, the calcium would be just as easy.

I know the peroxide route will work, I'm just not comfortable putting peroxide in the tank with living creatures. There is way to much room for error and the possible death of everything in the tank if dosage isn't correct.

With the lights out routine the ATS should out compete the DT algae eventually. Thats the whole purpose of an ATS. Give the algae a favorable place to grow so it starve out in the display. Just takes time.

The reason it's getting worse now is I have no lights in my fuge now so I have nothing growing down there, and the ATS for some odd reason just isn't starting very fast(like I've always said my NO3 is .25, and PO4 is 0).

When I switched to plant lights I was getting huge algae growth on my marine oure plates and the DT was getting clearer. Started the ATS with 0 light on my fuge, and the DT is getting worse. Once the ATS gets going I should be on my way to getting things better.

After a year and a half now I'm about ready to go buy new LR, and replace all my pukani. OR go get a 40 breeder, QT all the fish and coral, and start over with power washing the rock as well as acid dipping it. Just rebooting the entire tank.

Unread 09/29/2017, 09:06 AM   #684
soulpatch
Registered Member

peroxide int he tank is little worry. You would have to WAY overdose to affect anything. You can start small and ramp up. The peroxide thread covers a bunch of dosage specs depending on livestock.

Your ATS is going to continue to struggle as you have the DT out competing it. ATS takes over then the DT is minimal in terms of algae to keep it at bay. When you have an outbreak like in your case the nutrients are utilized way in advance of it reaching the sump.

And yes the calcium checker is garbage. The alk checker I am still having some issues with as it is not reading accurately when compared to various tests of other brands. They sent me fresh regent but I need to test it to see how it works now...

Unread 10/03/2017, 06:51 AM   #685
homer1475
Registered Member

Well I continue to loose corals.....

Candy cane is recedeing, Lobo is all but dead, the one acan frag I had left is dead, frogspawn I can't decide if its finally going to perish, or liven back up. Some days it looks worse then others.

I really just don't know *** is going on with this tank. I'm almost to the point of taking it all down and starting over.

PETCO is having their dollar a gallon sale so I was thinking of moving livestock over to that, acid washing all my rock, throwing out my now rock hard sand bed, and starting completely over.

Unread 10/03/2017, 07:07 AM   #686
homer1475
Registered Member

I wonder if my marine pure plates would be enough biological filtration for all my fish and corals in a 40 breeder?

Unread 10/03/2017, 07:18 AM   #687
soulpatch
Registered Member

Petco's sale is only up to 29 gallon tanks.

Yes marine pure should be enough.

If I were you I would yank everything and start over as it does sound like you have something going on that is outside of normal levels. I would make sure to redip all corals and might even treat with inteceptor to ensure no red/black bugs or other types of parasites.

If restarting and after everything you have spent thus far I would go the easy route and give Dennis a call at Tampa Bay Saltwater. You could get the package and likely just one for the 55 gallon or so. You would get sand and quality rock that basically instantly cycles your tank. You could still acid wash your current rock and use it as filler from getting a smaller package.

Unread 10/03/2017, 07:53 AM   #688
homer1475
Registered Member

I just don't think I'm at that point yet. I'm worried about all the things I have that have encrusted onto my rocks(rock flowers, chitons, goniopora, duncan, etc).

I just think its an algae issue I can't solve. I'll let it go for a while longer, worst case scenario is I just loose all my coral and I restart the tank anyways.

While I love the idea of Tampa Bay Saltwater, their price is a little ludicrous in my mind. 699$ plus shipping for "The Package" for a 55G tank. Although by their package they are suggesting 2 pounds of rock per gallon(55G package has 100 pounds of rock).

Its just really odd as some of my corals are growing and thriving, while others simple recede and die. Goniopora has easy tripled in size, my very first coral a green hammer just continues to grow heads, plating monti's continue to grow, duncan keep adding heads and has looked the best it ever has since switching to T5's, plate corals are all fully open and extending their tentacles. Yet anything with small polyps(not SPS but smaller heads on LPS) has receded and died.

I honestly still think its just algae, but I cannot rid myself of this plague!

Unread 10/03/2017, 08:03 AM   #689
soulpatch
Registered Member

Dunno man. That does not sound like algae to me.

Even if you went with fresh dry rock from reef breeders and some new sand you would be up and running quick since you have media and such already cycled. Would just need a week or two in the tank.

Since you would be taking out your rock anyway you could simply chisel anything that has encrusted but personally I would simply frag most corals. Nems and CUC are easy enough to get off rocks especially if you do FW dips and such to knock them free. You would have top get everything off the rocks to acid wash anyway.

Unread 10/03/2017, 08:17 AM   #690
homer1475
Registered Member

I don't know either and I think that's what bothers me the most. If it was simply algae I could take steps to clear it up. I've been doing all that for months yet I'm still plagued with the stuff.

I just don't want to do anything to drastic at this point in time. I'm still considering just buying some LR and sand from tampa bay and starting over. The few rocks that have nems attached I'll leave in the tank as they are pretty devoid of algae thanks to the army of chitons.

I'm going to stew over it for a few more weeks till I decide. I just hate seeing thing die that I've had for over 2 years now, and were thriving colonies until I moved to this tank.

Unread 10/03/2017, 08:18 AM   #691
homer1475
Registered Member

I've made so many changes over the last couple months, I think I just may need to slow down a bit and let some of the things I have done take hold(ATS)and see if things turn around.

Unread 10/07/2017, 01:34 PM   #692
liverock
RC Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by homer1475 View Post
I just don't think I'm at that point yet. I'm worried about all the things I have that have encrusted onto my rocks(rock flowers, chitons, goniopora, duncan, etc).

I just think its an algae issue I can't solve. I'll let it go for a while longer, worst case scenario is I just loose all my coral and I restart the tank anyways.

While I love the idea of Tampa Bay Saltwater, their price is a little ludicrous in my mind. 699$ plus shipping for "The Package" for a 55G tank. Although by their package they are suggesting 2 pounds of rock per gallon(55G package has 100 pounds of rock).

Its just really odd as some of my corals are growing and thriving, while others simple recede and die. Goniopora has easy tripled in size, my very first coral a green hammer just continues to grow heads, plating monti's continue to grow, duncan keep adding heads and has looked the best it ever has since switching to T5's, plate corals are all fully open and extending their tentacles. Yet anything with small polyps(not SPS but smaller heads on LPS) has receded and died.

I honestly still think its just algae, but I cannot rid myself of this plague!
Look what you have put yourself though...and all the money you have spent, when there is a fail safe way to start and have a happy tank from the get go....and have happy corals..... start at post #29 http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/sh...2653659&page=2

The Package works every time...with none of the issues you have had.....

www.tbsaltwater.com
Find us on Instagram tbs_liverockrocks

Current Tank Info: mixed reef
liverock is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/11/2017, 04:59 AM   #693
homer1475
Registered Member

Wow A payed adveertiser advertising in my thread, imagine that. lol

Well I decided to pull my marine pure plates and throw them. Algae scrubber still isn't doing crap, and my corals continue to die.

If I do end up losing everything except my fish, I think I'll be taking my fish to the LFS for credit and taking a break from the hobby. Nothing I do is helping.

My only thought was possibly my DIY 2 part(alkalinity part) was going bad? I don't even know if thats possible as its just baking soda and RO/DI.

I can't keep my alk stable the last few weeks and I couldn't figure out why. I went to add some in and tested an our or so later and I was supposed to raise my DKH by 1 and it only went up by .5. You would think with evap the solution would get stronger not weaker? I did notice a bunch of crap floating in the bottom of the container as I never have cleaned it out.

I'll post a couple pics of my dying coral. My nice brain I got 6 months ago has started to die. From being fully puffed up to over half its skeleton showing in about 3 days. What ever is happening to my corals happens very fast. My lobo went from happy and healthy to dead in 3 days.

Unread 10/11/2017, 05:00 AM   #694
homer1475
Registered Member

Pics from tapatalk of my poor brain.

Unread 10/11/2017, 05:01 AM   #695
homer1475
Registered Member

I hate tapatalk sometimes lol.

Unread 10/11/2017, 07:36 AM   #696
soulpatch
Registered Member

ouch dude. I wish you were closer as I am sure if I spent the day with you we could figure this out by going over everything. At a min I could take the coral and bring it back but you are too far and shipping would be killer.

You still have your black box LEDs right? Have you tried simply putting your coral into a cheap 20 gal or so and seeing what happens? You would have a QT environment but it would be stable and take a lot of unknowns out of the equation.

You would then have a fowlr for all intents and purposes for your main tank and could go at it as such. I wouldnt have simply removed the marine pure at once but your tank is mature enough that it should matter too much. If you remove your coral for the QT you also have the ability to remove rock and do peroxide dips to rid of the algae.

Or even better put your fish in the QT tank as well (seed some media first so you dont have to fully cycle the QT OR make sure you have enough salt to swap water every other day) Doing so you would have opportunity to swap out the sand and dip the rock till you are happy. I would STILL recomend TBS rock as a replacement as the life on the rock will outcompete algae initially. Sure you deal with some unwanted crabs but you pick them off when you get in the rock.

All else fails if you set up the QT for the fish and coral you have opportunity to really hammer on the main tank as a last ditch resort. Obviously you know something is in the tank and causing an issue. Dry out the rock after dipping in peroxide, clean out sand, and run some serious amounts of white vinegar through the system to clean things out. Bleach socks. At least with TBS there is really no cycle so you are up and running almost immediately.

Though I also understand the desire to step away for a bit. Sometimes one does need to take a break to ignite the fire again.

Unread 10/12/2017, 06:05 PM   #697
kallan
Registered Member

I am so sorry you are going through this. I know how disheartening it can be.
Since you have mostly LPS, I wouldn't dose anything, just do water changes and that will keep parameters fine. I think you mentioned your sand bed had hardened, so the alk is off.

I have a softies tank, lobos, zoas, and gorgonians in with a huge mini maxi (20 gallon), and I only do water changes to add elements. The 2 part always seemed to harden my sand bed, so now I just add a tiny bit of Mrs. Wages pickling lime to my top off water for that tank.

I used to always check the pH for years and years, but now I don't even worry about it and things have never looked better. I was so tired of chasing my pH monitor. After I gave it up, the sand bed is normal.

I know it's in your nature to keep at it, but do what you feel is best.

kallan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/14/2017, 04:08 PM   #698
homer1475
Registered Member

I never check for PH anymore. LOL if it wasn't on the apex probe, I would never know what it is.

My sand turning to stone happened early on with this tank. I was dosing, but using soda ash which raises PH and if overdosed can harden sand. I have since learned from that mistake. But the problem with the rock hard sand remains.

On to other news.....

Lost the brain, fragged the dead heads off my hammer, and frogspawn even though they still don't look well, they are still alive. Fragged my huge 30+ head of candycane down to one little head.

Only coral left is a small 2 head hammer, goniopora, couple monti caps, torch, 2 plates, clam, duncan, and scoly.

Other then the hammer, all the other corals listed are still fully open and growing. Matter of fact the scoly that was near death when I got it, has fully healed up and has actually grown a bit.

This has me super stumped though to say the least.

Unread 10/15/2017, 04:34 AM   #699
smoothmove
Registered Member

Just an idea. Setup the bio cube with your living corals.

Restart the original tank. Undo the drastic changes that were done and go back to basics.

Ditch the sand, wash the rocks with saltwater. Reset and wait for a month.

I stir my sand weekly by hand and use similar dosing that you use. (I use silica sand which is local beach sand)

My guess is a release of something from the sand or algae/bacteria that poisoned everything.

One of the reason I went with an 80 g rimless was this thread. Nothing GOOD in this hobby happens fast.

Unread 10/15/2017, 12:31 PM   #700
homer1475
Registered Member

Thanks!

If I had my biocube still I would have already done that, I think.

As is I may still buy like a 40 breeder and put all my fish and some of the rock and restart the tank. If I continue to loose coral, I may go that route. Just not to that point yet as I have no room for another tank, but if I have to, I'll make room.