Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Invert and Plant Forums > Marine Plants & Macroalgae
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 08/01/2016, 01:39 PM   #1
StephenRU
Registered Member

FOWLR w/ Macroalgae?

Anyone do this? I'm interested in setting up a FOWLR (180 gallons), and think macro algae might be a nice touch. I initially was going to do a reef, but think this might be an interesting route to go. What spectrum of lighting should I be looking for?

StephenRU is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/01/2016, 02:48 PM   #2
Subsea
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by StephenRU View Post
Anyone do this? I'm interested in setting up a FOWLR (180 gallons), and think macro algae might be a nice touch. I initially was going to do a reef, but think this might be an interesting route to go. What spectrum of lighting should I be looking for?

With respect to which spectrum is best, it depends on what you want to see and which macros you grow. In general, anything from 5K to 12K would be good.

Current Tank Info: 10,000G. Greenhouse Macro Growout
Subsea is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/01/2016, 05:12 PM   #3
jraker
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subsea View Post
With respect to which spectrum is best, it depends on what you want to see and which macros you grow. In general, anything from 5K to 12K would be good.
+1

Green plants like caulerpa will do best around 6500k, and reds/blues will do better in a higher spectrum, like 12k. 10k is fine for most types of macros.

Current Tank Info: 36 gallon reef, 65 gallon Caribbean Biotope macroalgae and seagrass tank
jraker is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/01/2016, 05:51 PM   #4
StephenRU
Registered Member

Would something like http://www.bulkreefsupply.com/kessil...oOKRoC_avw_wcB work or would I have to use the Tuna Sun version (I'm just asking in case I would use the light for another purpose down the road).

StephenRU is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/03/2016, 07:20 PM   #5
Subsea
Registered Member

How long is your tank? That light covers 2'. If your tank is 4', you will need $800 of that light. Is that what you want to spend for a macro tank. Seems excessive to me, but I am financially challenged.

https://www.amazon.com/Lightimetunne...ghting+48+inch

I have purchased five of these in the last month. One 4' bar light has 108W of 20 blue and 24 white and 4 green led each at 3W. One fixture lights up a 55G tank very brightly. I think that three would be enough for your tank. At $68 each, for $210 you would light up your 180G tank.

Current Tank Info: 10,000G. Greenhouse Macro Growout
Subsea is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/03/2016, 10:30 PM   #6
jraker
Registered Member

Also, two mars aqua 165w LEDS would light a 48" tank, and are a similar price ($200 to light the tank), and are controllable.

Current Tank Info: 36 gallon reef, 65 gallon Caribbean Biotope macroalgae and seagrass tank
Unread 08/21/2016, 09:35 PM   #7
Michael Hoaster
Registered Seaweedist

As for setting up a planted FOWLR tank, I think it's a good idea! Skip the fragile corals and color your tank with plants-and fish you can't keep with corals. The only problem I see is Tangs-you can't have them.

Current Tank Info: 180g Seagrass Sandbar Lagoon, START DATE November 28, 2018
Michael Hoaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/22/2016, 04:57 PM   #8
Devaji108
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Hoaster View Post
As for setting up a planted FOWLR tank, I think it's a good idea! Skip the fragile corals and color your tank with plants-and fish you can't keep with corals. The only problem I see is Tangs-you can't have them.
yup that was my 1st thought when I read the thread title.
I think its a great idea.
try some butterflies, wrasses, gobies, maybe even a lionfish that would be a nice looking tank.

do a build thread so we all can droll!

Devaji108 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/22/2016, 06:29 PM   #9
jraker
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devaji108 View Post
do a build thread so we all can droll!
Couldn't agree more. We need more build threads here!