Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Invert and Plant Forums > Mantis Shrimp
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 05/31/2012, 06:09 PM   #1
Ripped Tide
Registered Member

Neogonodactylus oerstedii lighting question

Now that my female no longer holding her eggs, I want to move her to my refugium. I currently run my lights 24 on, but would switch to reverse my current lighting cycle if I move her in there.

The lighting is very dim, just enough to grow mangroves. I have the cheapest marineland led mounted to the bottom of the top of my stand. The par is like 20... Lol

Anyone see any potential issues?

Ripped Tide is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/31/2012, 09:02 PM   #2
gweston
Registered Member

I'd think it would be fine. Roy's site rec's a 20 liter tank (~5gals) minimum for the oerstedii. As long as there is a day/night cycle.. and rocks/rubble and such. May need to adjust the flow if you have it going through rather briskly, but usually fuges are relatively slow flow.

I've actually thought about putting a wennerae into my 20gal fuge... just got my first mantis (smithii) a few days ago, and the addiction is already starting.

gweston is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/01/2012, 05:38 AM   #3
Ripped Tide
Registered Member

Addiction is an understatement! I am getting a Lysiosquillina maculata on Monday and plan on adding others in the future.

Unread 06/01/2012, 10:57 AM   #4
Alesia
Registered Member

When I had my N. oerstedii, she was in a 5g Minibow with some low-light soft corals, 1.5 inches of sand, and a pile of LR. She was VERY low maintenance and hardy and moderately interactive. I think she'd be absolutely fine in your fuge!

As I understand it, the shallow-water species (like N. oerstedii) are much more tolerant of high intensity lighting than the deeper water species.

Alesia is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/01/2012, 11:07 AM   #5
M@!
Registered Member

+1, should be able to handle reef lighting for the research I have done.

+1 on the addiction too. I keep having thoughts of putting a peacock in my seahorse tank. I can't believe I'm having such evil thoughts!

M@! is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/02/2012, 06:36 AM   #6
Ripped Tide
Registered Member

I moved her over yesterday, and immediately she began exploring. She seems to come out and be more interactive now that she has some light over her. The tank that she was in had no light and she rarely came out.