Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Lighting, Filtration & Other Equipment
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 05/09/2012, 04:51 PM   #76
dadnjesse
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgr11 View Post
I spoke with AI tech support today and he confirmed for me via email that they will indeed have an upgrade kit for the SOL to function as a Vega. Price is TBD
That's great news

dadnjesse is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/09/2012, 06:13 PM   #77
drtrash
Registered Member

I asm confused, what is the vega & why do I want my sol to operate like it. From what I see its 5w CW with 2 RB & 2 b 3 watters. Not seing the advancement? I get the color vega but not the other. Is the sol being discontinued?

drtrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/09/2012, 07:10 PM   #78
pgr11
Registered Member

According to the email the sol will be upgraded to color vega. I don't believe they are goingto discontinue the sol

Current Tank Info: AA 265 Mixed reef
pgr11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/09/2012, 07:15 PM   #79
toned
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgr11 View Post
I spoke with AI tech support today and he confirmed for me via email that they will indeed have an upgrade kit for the SOL to function as a Vega. Price is TBD

toned is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/09/2012, 10:51 PM   #80
PincheReefTank
Registered Member

Sik vid!

I love my lights and cant wait for the upgrade, I'm just not to happy with the AI controller... I think they need to go back to the drawing board with that piece.

PincheReefTank is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/10/2012, 07:31 AM   #81
MedRed
Registered Member

After upgrading to Radions, I missed the AI controller like none other.

Unread 05/10/2012, 08:21 AM   #82
Donkeykong
Registered Member

The tech I talked to a few weeks ago said they are aiming to price the upgrade the same as the upgrade from 1st to 2nd generation Sols, so that was $250 hopefully they can do that. I really think if they just added a back button the controller would actually be pretty good, the single largest problem I have is when you double click and go past the setting you wanted then you have to start all over, where a back button would solve that.

Donkeykong is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/10/2012, 08:31 AM   #83
drtrash
Registered Member

still not sure why go to vega? I see the color vega, but is the vega a upgrade from sol? I think the controller program is awesome, sure you have current program with 14 time settings...

Unread 05/10/2012, 09:47 AM   #84
Donkeykong
Registered Member

The biggest draw back to the Sol is that it does lack in the violet end of the spectrum, which leads to less "pop" of some colors. But until we have more indepth info we cant be sure of exactly what other things they have improved. There were talking about wireless control as well as better spread, but neither are confirmed on the final product. I want to upgrade my Sols, but am not a hundred percent sure I will until I have more details to insure it will be worth it

Unread 05/10/2012, 10:13 AM   #85
drtrash
Registered Member

same here, no need for wireless, spread is good unless I can sell 1 and only use 1 vega as apposed to 2 sol on a 36" tank

Unread 05/10/2012, 10:19 AM   #86
Donkeykong
Registered Member

Seriously doubt one vega will be able to cover 36", the size of the unit just wont let them run the LED's wide enough to be able to cover that large of an area. But the added colors that would benefit the coral growth as well as make adjusting the viewing color of the tank is a huge benefit and no the wireless is not needed, but neither was my controller but I am tech geek and like to play with gadgets.

Unread 05/10/2012, 12:17 PM   #87
Krazy_Karl
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donkeykong View Post
The tech I talked to a few weeks ago said they are aiming to price the upgrade the same as the upgrade from 1st to 2nd generation Sols, so that was $250 hopefully they can do that. I really think if they just added a back button the controller would actually be pretty good, the single largest problem I have is when you double click and go past the setting you wanted then you have to start all over, where a back button would solve that.
I would love to upgrade my sol's but $250 a piece? I dont think it would even be worth it at that point. Thats $399 for a sol, plus $250 upgrade, grand total of $650 for half the spread of a radion. Might as well just get the radions at that price. I also agree with the back button on the controller, it would help tremendously. It is very convenient to use, but the software is outdated to say the least.

Unread 05/10/2012, 01:06 PM   #88
Donkeykong
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krazy_Karl View Post
I would love to upgrade my sol's but $250 a piece? I dont think it would even be worth it at that point. Thats $399 for a sol, plus $250 upgrade, grand total of $650 for half the spread of a radion. Might as well just get the radions at that price. I also agree with the back button on the controller, it would help tremendously. It is very convenient to use, but the software is outdated to say the least.
I have seen and compared the Radions and AI's on several tanks and will say that the radions have a better spread but not 2x the AI's. Also yes if you have the Sol's and upgrade then you have close to what the Radions cost but with the improvements you should have a very comparable fixture if not better, this is with the assumption that Vegas work as well as they look which I know is a dangerous assumption. Dont get me wrong the Radions are a great light and if I could have afforded 1500 on lights I would have gone that route but I got my AI's a couple of months used for $750 with hanging kit and rails. Now I am at a point that I might be able to drop another $500 on lights to upgrade. But I will have to see alot more details on them and see if they are actually as nice as they look before I make any purchases. If they fall flat or just dont warrant the cost of upgrade I will hold on to my money and spend it on some other gadget or wishlist coral.

Unread 05/10/2012, 04:40 PM   #89
dadnjesse
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krazy_Karl View Post
Well if your upgrading then you allready have a Sol, so for $250.00 that makes no sence to just get a radion for $700.00.

dadnjesse is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/10/2012, 07:29 PM   #90
MedRed
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dadnjesse View Post
Well if your upgrading then you allready have a Sol, so for $250.00 that makes no sence to just get a radion for $700.00.
I don't think it's that simple. Some would point to AI's Par numbers, superior controller, and readily available mounting/hanging solutions. If I had AI's already, I probably would have just upgraded. It remains to be seen how the Sol's led arrangement will look compared to the Vega's. I still think that the Radions will blend the colors more uniformly.

Unread 05/10/2012, 08:10 PM   #91
Bruces442
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimeConsumer View Post
It's curious that on the article they hint that this is one of two versions that will be released. The AI Vega Color and what I'm guessing will just be the AI Vega. What can we expect from the base model?

Additionally, there seem to be a lot of color LEDs in comparison to white. I wonder how this will affect growth.

As far as success vs Radion, Kessil and other fixtures on the market. I think it will all depend where they set themselves in the pricing structure. I'll be interested to see what these retail for. If I can light my 75g for ~$800 there's a good chance I'd buy into them.
They are called Flare

http://www.aquaillumination.com/flare/

Bruces442 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/10/2012, 09:30 PM   #92
D-Nak
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MedRed View Post
I still think that the Radions will blend the colors more uniformly.
+1. Packing in the LEDs closer together will give better color mixing by design. I think the Radions are getting there, but it's not ideal. I think the AIs still have the LEDs too far apart -- I suspect we'll still see the mirror ball effect. The Kessils have it right by placing the different colored LEDs in a dense matrix. They just need to add more colors, have each color on a separate channel to be able to control them via an actual controller, and then figure out how to create a lens to be able to have the fixture closer to the surface of the water. Did I say that already?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruces442 View Post
Nope, that's something completely different.

Last edited by D-Nak; 05/10/2012 at 10:09 PM.
D-Nak is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/10/2012, 09:58 PM   #93
chrishet
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by D-Nak View Post
+1. Packing in the LEDs closer together will give better color mixing by design. I think the Radions are getting there, but it's not ideal. I think the AIs still have the LEDs too far apart -- I suspect we'll still see the mirror ball effect. The Kessils have it right by placing the different colored LEDs in a dense matrix. They just need to add more colors, have each color on a separate channel to be able to control them via an actual controller, and then figure out how to create a lens to be able to have the fixture. Did I say that already?
I was thinking the same thing....I've got about 6 months before I'll need a lighting fixture for my new build, and I will be waiting till the last minute..man what a great time this is in our hobby!

* Imaging the Cosmos, Astrophotography by Chris Hetlage *

Current Tank Info: 70 Gal Shallow-Rimless Custom Build In-progress, Apex Controller, Canon 5D
chrishet is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/10/2012, 10:27 PM   #94
PincheReefTank
Registered Member

For the most part I do like the controller. Its easy to program + looks nice and all (just wish it came in black). One problem I think the unit has is adjusting light intensities and the fact that you can only adjust white independently and from there on you have adjust the blue while the white is on and then adjust the royal while the white and blue are on. The ability to adjust any of the channels on a specific timer independently but then also while either of the other two were on would be terrific. Another problem I think they have is more with the hardware used to for the scrolling feature on the knob. The first one* I had, while turning the knob there was a delay before it scrolled and more often than not it would scroll in the opposite direction I wanted it to so i sent it back. The new one they sent me is doing pretty much the same thing on a lesser degree. And yes I agree too 100% some sort of feature to move back during timer programing would be marvelous.

PincheReefTank is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/10/2012, 11:42 PM   #95
MedRed
Registered Member

If AI made the Flare modules able to be controlled by their controller, i'd pick up two and and controller tonight. I miss my lunar cycle!

Unread 05/11/2012, 10:36 AM   #96
Krazy_Karl
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dadnjesse View Post
Well it does if "you" sell your Sol's. Its def something I have been considering.

Unread 05/17/2012, 04:08 PM   #97
Pico1
Registered Member

OK guys-

Who's at Interzoo and wants to fill us in on what's at the AI booth???

Pico1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/17/2012, 06:17 PM   #98
natedogg
Nate

RGB Panorama Pro + AI Sol Blue.... Perfect Combo???? You tell me..

natedogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/17/2012, 09:04 PM   #99
drtrash
Registered Member

I added a supplemental LED unit (10 violet, 2 red, 2 green & 4 RB) in the middle of 2 sol blue and it added the extra pop that should of been there. So the color vega would be well worth it. After 2 weeks orange is turned pink again RBTA glows, no miracle but I think with time it will get closer to T5 color. Bring on the VEGA COLOR

Unread 05/17/2012, 09:40 PM   #100
jtrim123
Registered Member

I need a fixture soon and I am wondering if I should wait for the Vega's? Anybody have solid release info?

jtrim123 is offline   Reply With Quote