Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Lighting, Filtration & Other Equipment
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 08/19/2015, 09:13 PM   #251
aronj2
Registered Member

i have a rebadged bldc on my bbk250 skimmer with needle wheel.
its the 1400gph base.. now thats when it becomes interresting

aronj2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/20/2015, 08:36 AM   #252
GroktheCube
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 805reef View Post
L1 – 2” input, 1 ½” output (with quick coupler 1 ½” slip input, 1” slip output)
M1 – 1 ½”, input, 1 Ό” output (with quick coupler 1“ slip input, Ύ” slip output)

I like the idea of the included quick connecter but I wouldn't use them myself because of the downsizing in pipe.
Where did you dig up that info? Is the larger output MPT?

GroktheCube is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/20/2015, 08:40 AM   #253
805reef
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GroktheCube View Post
Where did you dig up that info? Is the larger output MPT?
From this post by gcarrol: http://s.reefcentral.com/forums/show...&postcount=140

It originated from the video interview RB did with ecotech

In this video is also where they make it pretty clear that the Vectra pumps are not just the same rebranded Chinese pumps like people in this thread keep saying...

300 gallon peninsula, return:RD3 Speedy 230, Turbo's Rev4 L2 Algae Turf Scrubber, (2) Gyre 150s, Advanced Acrylic sump, (4) Ocean Revive T247s, Apex (classic w/ black sticker;):D)
805reef is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/20/2015, 09:06 AM   #254
GroktheCube
Registered Member

Great, thanks. I have a pre-order on an M1 in with Premium Aquatics, and I'm trying to get as much plumbed as I can before it arrives. Glad I didn't glue everything with 3/4" yet...

Unread 08/20/2015, 09:40 AM   #255
savanyo
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 805reef View Post
From this post by gcarrol:
In this video is also where they make it pretty clear that the Vectra pumps are not just the same rebranded Chinese pumps like people in this thread keep saying...
It's clear the ETM Vectra pumps are not based on the Jebao/Waveline/other pumps that would be classified as the "rebranded Chinese pumps".

Nevertheless, the Vectra pump does appear to share the same motor block design as the Abyzz and Deepwater Aquatics pumps. I don't think this is a bad thing. Everything I read about those pumps are good.

savanyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/20/2015, 09:42 AM   #256
805reef
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by savanyo View Post
It's clear the ETM Vectra pumps are not based on the Jebao/Waveline/other pumps that would be classified as the "rebranded Chinese pumps".

Nevertheless, the Vectra pump does appear to share the same motor block design as the Abyzz and Deepwater Aquatics pumps. I don't think this is a bad thing. Everything I read about those pumps are good.
In the video they say that the motor block housing is the same (to keep costs down) but the insides are their own design. The 36v coil compared to the 24v

edit: now maybe they are just lying but it sounds like there is a different and gcarrol agreed. That was enough to convince me.

300 gallon peninsula, return:RD3 Speedy 230, Turbo's Rev4 L2 Algae Turf Scrubber, (2) Gyre 150s, Advanced Acrylic sump, (4) Ocean Revive T247s, Apex (classic w/ black sticker;):D)
805reef is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/21/2015, 05:54 PM   #257
fredro
Registered Member

Anyone have a definite shipping date? I have a preorder through TB Aquatics and was wondering when they'll be in their way, seeing the "Shipping: Early August" estimate on the site is obviously inaccurate.

Current Tank Info: 80g Deep Blue RR
fredro is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/21/2015, 07:34 PM   #258
GroktheCube
Registered Member

I spoke with Premium Aquatics a couple days ago, and they told me that Ecotech said early next week at the very latest. We shall see.

Unread 08/25/2015, 08:39 AM   #259
jmm
Registered Member

Anybody heard anything lately?

jmm is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/25/2015, 08:45 AM   #260
rjallen
Registered Member

BRS still shows pre order only. MD shows in stock....at least before you check out. I really doubt they actually have it in house but probably know exact date of expected arrival. If you are sure I suggest you go ahead a do a pre-order to insure you don't miss the first boat. Fairly sure vendors will receive first shipments in the next few days.

RJA

Current Tank Info: 120 Gal. Mixed Reef
rjallen is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/26/2015, 09:24 PM   #261
gcarroll
Registered Member

Nice review video! This thing is crazy silent. Thanks for the link Kevin.

SPS = Stability Promotes Success
Be wary of advice coming from those who will not show you the fruits of their success!

Current Tank Info: building: 250g AGE Euro tank, Abyzz A200, Vertex Supra-G filtration, Ecotech Radion Pro LEDs, ...

Last edited by gcarroll; 08/26/2015 at 09:44 PM.
gcarroll is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/27/2015, 08:12 AM   #262
this is me
Registered Member

M1 Flow vs Head

L1 Flow vs. Head

I have some decision to make here. I'll be only pumping up 5'. Not sure to go with 2xM1 or 1xL1. Tank will be ~360gallons.

When a man talks dirty to a woman, it's sexual harassment. When a woman talks dirty to a man, it's $4.95 per minute.

Current Tank Info: Miracle 360 gallons
this is me is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/27/2015, 09:20 AM   #263
gcarroll
Registered Member

For those that don't understand just how quiet this pump is. Each 10db change is a factor of 10. That means that the Ecotech pump is nearly 100x quieter than the Waveline. That is just insane!

SPS = Stability Promotes Success
Be wary of advice coming from those who will not show you the fruits of their success!

Current Tank Info: building: 250g AGE Euro tank, Abyzz A200, Vertex Supra-G filtration, Ecotech Radion Pro LEDs, ...

Last edited by gcarroll; 08/27/2015 at 09:28 AM.
gcarroll is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/27/2015, 01:11 PM   #264
soulpatch
Registered Member

Curious on which to get should I go with the ecotech and want some more experienced reefers input. I will be going into my first sump system from my AIO so all new to me.

Basically I will be pumping up to my 93 cube and splitting into a manifold for at least 2 reactors and a UV system. I will most likely plumb 5 outputs to give myself space to grow should I need. With having about 5 feet of height and running these other items would I be able to get by with the M1 or would I need to go to the L1?

The overflow is going to be a synergy reef overflow box capable of up to 1500 GPH though I do not anticipate that level of turnover on a smaller cube.

Some have bar tabs. I have a coral tab at my LFS. Life goals.
soulpatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/28/2015, 08:34 AM   #265
Johnseye
Reef Addict

Just got news that the pumps were shipped to retailers today. I expect them to be shipped out to us some time next week. Only 25 days later than expected.

New 260g build thread: http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2557715

Current Tank Info: 260g reef, Giesemann Spectra MH/T5/Kessil A160, Dastaco CaRx, Vortechs, Lifereef skimmer, Red Dragon 3, Apex, Genesis, Angles, Tang, Trigger, Clowns, Anthias, Wrasses, Cardinals, SPS, LPS
Johnseye is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/28/2015, 10:24 AM   #266
rjallen
Registered Member

Now it can be told.......BRS got their shipment late last night and have a few left over from from pre-sales for sale [B]TODAY
Just bought one will let all know how it goes.

RJA

Unread 08/28/2015, 01:49 PM   #267
goldenservices3
Registered Member

The rated voltage of a motor is the voltage at which it operates at peak efficiency. Most DC motors can be operated somewhat above or below their range, but it’s best to plan to operate them at their rated voltage. Dropping below rated voltage reduces the motor’s power, and operating above the rated voltage may burn the motor out. Plan on the motor’s top speed being at rated voltage, and slowest speed at no more than 50% less than the rated voltage.

Unread 08/28/2015, 01:52 PM   #268
goldenservices3
Registered Member

http://ww1.microchip.com/downloads/e...tes/00905a.pdf

Unread 08/28/2015, 02:48 PM   #269
ca1ore
Grizzled & Cynical

Quote:
Originally Posted by gcarroll View Post
For those that don't understand just how quiet this pump is. Each 10db change is a factor of 10. That means that the Ecotech pump is nearly 100x quieter than the Waveline. That is just insane!
At 23db, it's effectively silent ..... Wow!

Got back into the hobby ..... planned to keep it simple ..... yeah, right ..... clearly I need a new plan! Pet peeve: anemones host clowns; clowns do not host anemones!

Current Tank Info: 450 Reef; 120 refugium; 60 Frag Tank, 30 Introduction tank; multiple QTs
ca1ore is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/28/2015, 02:51 PM   #270
rjallen
Registered Member

A small downer

As mentioned above, I just ordered Vectra M1 from BRS. While the compression fittings look nice and might work for some, I use soft vinyl 1"tubing to connect from my return pump to my hard plumbing. Thus, I must use a barb fitting. On my old pump, a Mag 18, also with a 3/4" return, I use a reducing bushing to connect the 3/4" to 1" then use the 1" barb fitting and 1" vinyl tubing. I do this because the barb fitting further reduces flow because of its design.

L1 – 2” input, 1 ½” output (with quick coupler 1 ½” slip input, 1” slip output)
M1 – 1 ½”, input, 1 Ό” output (with quick coupler 1“ slip input, Ύ” slip output

Since the M1, above, goes from 1.25 to 3/4, a barb fitting will further reduce the flow to something just slightly larger than 1/2". Using a 1" barb fitting keeps restriction to a minimum.

I wanted to bypass the Ecotech Compression fitting and use the external threads of the 1.25" outflow. Actually, I would have loved to use a 1.25" barb fitting but they are very rare around here. BRS does not carry 1.25 fittings but they tried a test fit for me. Seems like the external fittings on the pump are NOT NPT. Wow, just like all the other European and Asian DC pumps and all the trouble to plumb the non-standard foreign connections.

It appears to me the pump body is NOT manufactured for or by Ecotech.
Called Ecotech and Talked with "Tim". I wanted to confirm the outflow w/o the compression fitting was indeed 1.25" and what type of thread standard the pump uses. Tim did not know his product. Had to ask the simple question 4 times. Was put on hold [3 times I think] while Tim sought help. First time he told me the outflow was 3/4 without the comprehension fitting!. Had him try again. Finally he did confirm the 1.25" size but could not find anyone who could [or would?] tell him the thread type.

You know, I have heard for years about the great customer service from Ecotech Marine. I hope this is not a typical experience.

I think the thread is some type of metric which will make the Vectra even more difficult to plumb . My pump has shipped but not sure I will keep it.

RJ

Unread 08/28/2015, 03:29 PM   #271
EcoTech Marine
RC Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjallen View Post
I think the thread is some type of metric which will make the Vectra even more difficult to plumb . My pump has shipped but not sure I will keep it.
RJ-

The pump uses a BSP thread which threads just fine with NPT adapters from every big box store that we tried. Use teflon tape. We also have instock FBSP to Sch40 slip adapters which will show on our parts store within a few days.

Within the next few weeks we will have a bunch of useful plumbing fittings to select including barbs and strainers.

Sorry about our customer service in this case. The pump has just launched and we have to bring all of our staff up to speed on all of the ins and outs.

President
EcoTech Marine
www.ecotechmarine.com

If the above information doesn't help you, please contact us at 1-800-785-0338 ext. 2 or by e-mailing [email]support@ecotech
EcoTech Marine is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/28/2015, 03:56 PM   #272
naterealbig
Premium Member

Kudos once again to Ecotech Marine for the straight-forward follow up. The embedded video in gcarrols last post clearly shows the host connecting thread to slip PVC bushing to the outlet of the pump. Great to know there will be fittings readily available for purchase for custom jobs! Definitely getting one of these to replace my 2 return pumps.

Unread 08/28/2015, 04:04 PM   #273
rjallen
Registered Member

Tim

First thank you for the very prompt reply. I believe BST stands for British Standard Thread? Good to know NPT female would work but it is even better you will carry the adapters. I know Jake was also very interested in them. Is there anyway I can go ahead and order a a BST female threaded bushing to 1" slip [thread would be ok too]. Then I can use a slip 1" schedule 80 barb. I think I can, with difficulty find a 1.25" to 1" slip. I live in western North Dakota and big box stores are 127 miles one way. If you would ....could you give me a name of someone in customer service that is familiar with plumbing issues at Echotech. If you wish, feel free to pm me or have someone take care of it on Monday.

Thanks again

RJ

Unread 08/28/2015, 04:34 PM   #274
coastalexotics
Registered Member

You might find the info I posted in this thread helpful for these pumps if you wish to adapt without using the provided fittings.
http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/sh....php?t=2487626
I can confirm this works great, as this install runs on 1" PVC. Now the big question is, are these Eco tech pumps more quite then the manufacture of their "housing" version pumps aka Deepwater but they won't be the only ones in time I'm sure contract or not. They rushed to market, probably to get the sales before Eco Tech launches. Doing so clueless on the actual product and had no clue fitting were BSP. You have no choice but to buy another fitting of some kind to even use their pumps! I'd love to see/do a comparison of these two pumps just for noise factor alone. If you have a Deepwater most likely you can swap these pumps without changing any plumbing!

coastalexotics is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/28/2015, 08:00 PM   #275
GroktheCube
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by EcoTech Marine View Post
RJ-

The pump uses a BSP thread which threads just fine with NPT adapters from every big box store that we tried. Use teflon tape. We also have instock FBSP to Sch40 slip adapters which will show on our parts store within a few days.

Within the next few weeks we will have a bunch of useful plumbing fittings to select including barbs and strainers.

Sorry about our customer service in this case. The pump has just launched and we have to bring all of our staff up to speed on all of the ins and outs.
Why did you guys use BSP threading instead of NPT? Did you guys use the housing from an Asian/European DC pump?

Tags
vectra, vectra pump